Zips in the NFL

Dr Z

i think that if schepp has another decent year he could very well be on that list. after kemme and alleman, he was probably the most reliable OL that we had on the roster. I could also see a few of our defensive players at least getting a shot on an NFL team.

I don't know if any of these guys are still rattling around or are officially done:WR Lavel Bailey, WR Jake Schifino, WR Matt Cherry...also I'm drawing blanks on the names of our recent PK (@Dallas?) and FB (@Philly?) who had been on NFL rosters.The only former Zip I can think of who is retired after a "substantial" NFL career is Victor Green. I don't know that we had any old-timer players in the league back in the 40's-50's-60's. It is good to see that list of current players getting longer each year !

I don't know if any of these guys are still rattling around or are officially done:WR Lavel Bailey, WR Jake Schifino, WR Matt Cherry...also I'm drawing blanks on the names of our recent PK (@Dallas?) and FB (@Philly?) who had been on NFL rosters.The only former Zip I can think of who is retired after a "substantial" NFL career is Victor Green. I don't know that we had any old-timer players in the league back in the 40's-50's-60's. It is good to see that list of current players getting longer each year !
last i heard from matt cherry, he was with the bengals. but i am not sure if he gave up football to pursue his own entertainment business that he was starting or not.

I don't know if any of these guys are still rattling around or are officially done:WR Lavel Bailey, WR Jake Schifino, WR Matt Cherry...also I'm drawing blanks on the names of our recent PK (@Dallas?) and FB (@Philly?) who had been on NFL rosters.The only former Zip I can think of who is retired after a "substantial" NFL career is Victor Green.  I don't know that we had any old-timer players in the league back in the 40's-50's-60's.  It is good to see that list of current players getting longer each year !
last i heard from matt cherry, he was with the bengals. but i am not sure if he gave up football to pursue his own entertainment business that he was starting or not.
Cherry has "retired" from the nfl to manage his entertainment business. He had a myspace page for himself/the company a year back or so. I did a quick search today and couldnt find it. If anyone is bored, look around. As I can recall, it was somewhat amusing. :thumb:

I don't know if any of these guys are still rattling around or are officially done:WR Lavel Bailey, WR Jake Schifino, WR Matt Cherry...also I'm drawing blanks on the names of our recent PK (@Dallas?) and FB (@Philly?) who had been on NFL rosters.The only former Zip I can think of who is retired after a "substantial" NFL career is Victor Green.  I don't know that we had any old-timer players in the league back in the 40's-50's-60's.  It is good to see that list of current players getting longer each year !
Cherry has "retired" from the nfl to manage his entertainment business. He had a myspace page for himself/the company a year back or so. I did a quick search today and couldnt find it. If anyone is bored, look around. As I can recall, it was somewhat amusing. :thumb:
he still has the page. yeah it is pretty funny. his display name is now just cherry

That was Jamie Reader. I believe he had a couple of stints in the NFL over a period of years.
Of course you are correct, skip-zip. I remembered this early this morning. The interesting thing about Jamie is that he rarely even started in the Zip backfield. I remember him catching passes out of the backfield more than anything else. Chris Rooney certainly got to tote the rock more often. That old FB cross-buck counter play was a thing of beauty!!!

Jamie Reader was released by the Philadelphia Eagles back in 2002.Matt Cherry reached an injury settlement with Baltimore back in 2006.Victor Green signed with the New York Jets in April 2006 so he could retire as a member of the team for which he played in 1993-2001.Jake Schifino was released by the Houston Texans in September 2006.Konrad Dean was waived by the Jacksonville Jaguars in August 2004.Ryan Myers was waived by the New York Jets on September 26, 2006.

Thanks for the link to the list. This reminds me of quite a few I had forgotten about, but it also brings up more questions. For instance, Bobby Lyons played for the Browns, and for the Minnesota Vikings. So, he played for several years in the NFL, and it doesn't show that. And, it appears to show that Mike Brake is a current TE for the St. Louis Rams? I wasn't aware that he ever played in the NFL at all, let along for the last several years. And, it also only mentions a few CFL players. There has to be quite a few more of those. For instance, Brian Hilk played LB in the CFL for quite a few years in the 90's, and it doesn't mention him at all.

That was Jamie Reader.  I believe he had a couple of stints in the NFL over a period of years.
I've told this on here before: That Jamie Reader played in the NFL is a credit to former coach Gerry Faust. When Reader was an unknown, who never gained more than about 200 yards in a season, Faust saw that he was an NFL quality blocking back. Long after he was gone as coach, Gerry pestered the Hula Bowl officials from his position in the AFCA, which organizes the game. Finally the coaches relented and put Jamie on the roster, where he showed the scouts he could play at the highest level.Here's to Coach Faust :cheers:

Z.I.P. - thanks for that tidbit. Coach Faust brought many intangibles to his position here, because of his relationships around the country. And that was something we desperately needed in order to successfully move up a level. I still believe today that it was absolutely the right choice to bring him here to elevate our football program into the D1-A era.

• 4 weeks later...

I meant to post this a short while back, but this seems like a good spot for it. ESPN did a bit on the Top 50 most likely current players to end up in the Hall of Fame. jason Taylor was listed as #27. I don't claim to know all the history, but I'm assuming this would be the first Zip in? In any HOF?The curernt link is here, but I don't know how long that link will be valid.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Luke Getsy hasn't even gotten a look since last year.Nate Robinson was waived. Remember the rumors he was going to declare last year.Reggie Corner has been working with the first-team defense.Jabari Arthur has not been making much news, neither has Kris Kasparek or Davanzo TateOf course Jason Taylor will be out 10 - 14 days.Charlie Frye will start the game tonight.Andy Alleman attended the Wetland Watcher 10th anniversary celebration this offseason. The Wetland Watcher environmental group is a program that teaches students about the preservation and conservation of wetlands. CK, Dwight Lowery is worked with the first-team defense during the media-access portion of practice today. For some reason I still don't see him on GoZips. ;)

Luke Getsy hasn't even gotten a look since last year.Nate Robinson was waived. Remember the rumors he was going to declare last year.Reggie Corner has been working with the first-team defense.Jabari Arthur has not been making much news, neither has Kris Kasparek or Davanzo TateOf course Jason Taylor will be out 10 - 14 days.Charlie Frye will start the game tonight.Andy Alleman attended the Wetland Watcher 10th anniversary celebration this offseason. The Wetland Watcher environmental group is a program that teaches students about the preservation and conservation of wetlands. CK, Dwight Lowery is worked with the first-team defense during the media-access portion of practice today. For some reason I still don't see him on GoZips. ;)
I think Getsy is a grad assistant for the coaching staff now...not sure where I saw that.