Zips in the NFL

Dr Z

Charlie played a decent game, going 7 for 12 for 80 yards and a TD. I hope he beats out Gradkowski for the spot on the roster.
Gradkowski out played him in NFL terms. Gradkowski and Frye both had a TD. Gradkowski had 18 yards/completion vs. Frye's 11.5. One of the most important statistics in the NFL is yards per attempt. Gradkowski had 10 yards/attempt vs. Frye's 6.6 yards/attempt.Completing passes down field is how you win in the NFL. Unless Frye turns this around, he will be on the outside looking in.

Anderson saw lots of time with the Browns. Had at least 1 maybe 2 tackles .. and one QB pressure.If you looked for him near the end of the game he wasn't out there too much. Seemed to me he was out there with the 2nd team, mixed in during the the transition between 1st and 2nd teams. Looked good out there.

Speaking of Zips in the NFL, has anyone noticed that Hixon is in two prominent ads this year on TV. So prominent I can not remember the companies (shame on me). One is of him catching a TD pass against Seattle and the other actually is of him without a helmet in a commercial he had to have been called in to do. I hope he is making good money for doing this. He has earned it. I could be totally off, but I believe one ad is for the NFL Network and the other is for a video game.?... Anyhow.....

Speaking of Zips in the NFL, has anyone noticed that Hixon is in two prominent ads this year on TV. So prominent I can not remember the companies (shame on me). One is of him catching a TD pass against Seattle and the other actually is of him without a helmet in a commercial he had to have been called in to do. I hope he is making good money for doing this. He has earned it. I could be totally off, but I believe one ad is for the NFL Network and the other is for a video game.?... Anyhow.....
I haven't seen these ads yet, but I did happen to catch a recent Chris Mortensen interview with Eli Manning. When asked which receivers would be picking up the slack in 2009 for those recently departed, the only one mentioned by name (by Eli) was Hixon (as part of his explanation that it would be "by committee").

Charlie played a decent game, going 7 for 12 for 80 yards and a TD. I hope he beats out Gradkowski for the spot on the roster.
Gradkowski out played him in NFL terms. Gradkowski and Frye both had a TD. Gradkowski had 18 yards/completion vs. Frye's 11.5. One of the most important statistics in the NFL is yards per attempt. Gradkowski had 10 yards/attempt vs. Frye's 6.6 yards/attempt.Completing passes down field is how you win in the NFL. Unless Frye turns this around, he will be on the outside looking in.
Maybe, I think Frye still has the upper hand. If you thought Fryes arm was weak, it looks like a cannon next to Gradkowskis'.http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009...wrap/#more-5898
– Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye were relatively even in terms of stats, but there were a couple of short throws on sideline passes which will be a staple of the Raiders offense that Gradkowski has trouble throwing.On one play, he came up short to Louis Murphy, who picked it off the grass for a catch, only to have it correctly overturned by replay.It’s worth noting that throw is not a strength of Jeff Garcia, either.Charlie Frye showed a good awareness in the pocket of surrounding defenders and was able to get off completions.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_13065082
No. 7: Gradkowski vs. Charlie Frye is too close to call. Gradkowski was 9-of-16 for 161 yards and a touchdown, Frye 7-of-12 for 80 yards and a touchdown. Gradkowski came up short on a couple of sideline throws and arm strength could give Frye the edge.

Was at the Giants game tonight in the Meadowlands vs. Carolina. Hixon is featured in a TON of awesome scoreboard video highlights!!! He started and had a key catch in a drive that led to a TD. I was looking but didn't see any Hixon jersey's but I talked to a lot of fans, he is well liked. Also they keep the in-stadium cams close up on Chase Blackburn on EVERY Giants kickoff!!!! He may not start at LB, but he is an unquestioned leader whenever he's on the field and it seems his job is to call/relay the plays to the rest of the defense. The fans love the energy he brings to the game, the guy is all over the place in a good way.p.s. they are building a new stadium right next to the old Giants Stadium. It's kind of hideous, looks like stainless steel scaffolding that resembles a parking garage, but it's not, it's an ugly new stadium.

Good news for Hixon, the GM has his back.Steve Sarby, of The New York Post, reports New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese described WR Domenik Hixon as multidimensional. Hixon can contribute on kick and punt returns, as well as serve as a vertical threat in the passing game. Hixon is also capable of being used on reverses.

I didn't see it mentioned here, but that piece of trash Golden Shower Julian Edelman had a pretty impressive debut with the Patriots. He had 5 catches for 37 yards and a 75 yard punt return for a touchdown. I thought I hated him with Can't. I think I hate him even more in New England.
OU grad Peter King is saying Julian is among the Ten Rookies who have impressed so far.

Hixon will leave training camp as one the team's starting wide receivers.Alleman was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for an undisclosed 2010 draft pick.Frye remains neck-and-neck for the No. 3 quarterback job. Cable said the next two games will decide the competition.Brandon Anderson recently participated in a question-and-answer story with the official Web site of the Cleveland Browns.Reggie Corner is still in the lead for the nickel back job even though he has faced tough competition. Dwight Smith is still without a team, since the Lions waived him.Nate Robinson is still without a team, since the Jets waived him in March.No news on Bryan Williams (still without a team).No news on Chris Kemme (still without a team).

Hixon's notable mistake: Manning found Hixon open and hit him in the hands with the ball on a short route. But Bart Scott hit Hixon from behind, and the ball bounced off Hixon’s hands to linebacker David Harris for an interception. Hixon only had one catch.After a 6 tackle game Chase Blackburn said, Sanchez played like a veteran. "He used a lot of play clock, picked up our blitzes pretty quick, found out what we were running and made his checks."Reggie Corner had 7 tackles.

The Raiders cut Jeff Garcia and kept Charlie Frye and Gradkowski.http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_13274830

Garcia said all the right things upon his signing. However, it soon became apparent that he had other intentions, namely starting.He rarely was seen talking to Russell at practice or in the locker room and he showed no overt signs of passing on any of the things he learned in his first 10 years in the NFL.Cable said the solid play of Charlie Frye and Bruce Gradkowski also factored into the decision. He will decide upon a No. 2 in the coming days, he said.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is opposite of the topic (in the nfl), but I didn't think it deserved a new topic and I thought some may find it interesting.Since Chad Ochocinco loves dancing in the end zone, could he be on TV's "Dancing with the Stars" next spring? Video director Matthew "Mac" Cherry, a former football player who was cut by the Bengals during training camp four years ago, says the show wants the wide receiver next season. The owner of Cherry Entertainment in Los Angeles says a producer talked to him about Ochocinco when Cherry attended ABC's live "Dancing" results telecast Wednesday night in Hollywood.