Zips in the NFL

Dr Z

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 1:12 PM, Dr Z said:

Rodney sort of led to Frank Clark decking his teammate.

http://deadspin.com/frank-clark-injures-teammate-with-flying-punch-1797535421?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Also, I heard Marcus injured his leg towards the end of practice yesterday. Haven't heard an update.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:33 AM, LZIp said:

Also, I heard Marcus injured his leg towards the end of practice yesterday. Haven't heard an update.

Browns waived Marcus today.  Per Pat McManaman at ESPN:

"The Browns signed WR Rasheed Bailey and TE Nate Iese. Bailey is in his first season out of Delaware Valley. Iese is a rookie from UCLA. The team waived DL Jamal Marcus (ankle) and WR James Wright (bruised lung) with an injury designation."

As I understand it, if Marcus clears 24hr waiver period he will then be placed on the Browns Injured Reserve.

Not a surprise for Zips fans:

"The play of the day was undrafted free agent quarterback Phillip Walker hooking up with fellow undrafted wide receiver JoJo Natson for a deep touchdown."

http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Practice-Two-Training-Camp-Notebook-Scott-Tolzien-Wide-Receivers-Better-On-Day-Two--/6475dfd8-7d9d-48cc-8fd9-2058b4d827b6

• Like 1

JoJo just appeared in the 1st quarter for the Colts and returned a kick-off out of the end zone for 28 yards. It was a nice return and nice comments from the commentators...until they said he was Akron University.

Video: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000829431/Colts-rookie-Jojo-Natson-shows-off-speed-on-28-yard-kickoff-return-from-own-end-zone#

Edit: Jojo had a terrific game, getting looks at both punt and kick returns as well as 5 catches for 51 yards in receiving, including drawing a couple of nice penalties. Seems like they are giving him a serious look. I saw a couple of tweets from their practice last week and it sounds like he is doing well, overall.

Edited by zipsoutsider

On 8/10/2017 at 8:03 AM, LZIp said:

I know part of it is because he's injured, but who would have thought Marcus would have been the first one waived out of the players we have at training camp this year?

I dont' think anyone picked him up, so that means he's on the Browns IR if I'm not mistaken.

Not sure if this helps or hurts JoJo, Jerome and Marcus, but new this year is another NFL rule change that altered the roster cut-down rule. Previously, teams would be required to cut the roster from 90 to 75 players prior to the final preseason game. Then they’d cut the roster down from 75 to 53 after that game. Now there is only one roster cut. Following the final preseason game, teams must cut the roster down from 90 to 53 players. Would seem to put some pressure on the bubble guys for the fourth preseason "game." ??‍♂️

IMO, this would hurt a player on the bubble that would normally have a chance to sign with another team if he got cut early, now more than a thousand players hit the waiver wire at one time. ?

It may be "easier" for a team to get to "hide" a player on the practice squad too.