Zips in the NFL

Dr Z

Luke Getsy hasn't even gotten a look since last year.Nate Robinson was waived. Remember the rumors he was going to declare last year.Reggie Corner has been working with the first-team defense.Jabari Arthur has not been making much news, neither has Kris Kasparek or Davanzo TateOf course Jason Taylor will be out 10 - 14 days.Charlie Frye will start the game tonight.Andy Alleman attended the Wetland Watcher 10th anniversary celebration this offseason. The Wetland Watcher environmental group is a program that teaches students about the preservation and conservation of wetlands. CK, Dwight Lowery is worked with the first-team defense during the media-access portion of practice today. For some reason I still don't see him on GoZips. ;)
I think Getsy is a grad assistant for the coaching staff now...not sure where I saw that.
As is Kris Kasparek. It's in the media guide.

• 2 months later...

I don't know about Reggie, but I did watch the Dolphins game and saw Andy play yesterday.Here is his update:The Dolphins released guard Evan Mathis on Friday and signed guard Matt McChesney off the practice squad.Mathis had been splitting snaps with Ikechuku Ndukwe at right guard, a position identified as a week spot since rookie Donald Thomas sustained a season-ending foot injury during the season opener.Andy Alleman has been seeing more time with the first team and would presumably assume some of the snaps left open by Mathis' departure.''I just like what he's done right now in practice,'' Sparano said of Alleman.``He's been playing tough out there, creating some competition.''

Someone said that Reggie Corner would get some playing time today but I couldn't get the game. Did he play? How did he do?
Best I know he had 3 solo tackles and 1 assistIt looks like he spent time covering Wes WelkerOn that last New England drive, Reggie Corner was worked in against Wes Welker in the slot as they moved Greer out wide. On the seven plays of that drive, Corner was matched up on Welker three times. Corner gave up just one reception for no gain.Welker also had a two-yard reception on third down on the last play of that last New England drive, but it was difficult to tell if Corner was covering Welker because the Patriots had a bunch formation.

I don't know about Reggie, but I did watch the Dolphins game and saw Andy play yesterday.Here is his update:The Dolphins released guard Evan Mathis on Friday and signed guard Matt McChesney off the practice squad.Mathis had been splitting snaps with Ikechuku Ndukwe at right guard, a position identified as a week spot since rookie Donald Thomas sustained a season-ending foot injury during the season opener.Andy Alleman has been seeing more time with the first team and would presumably assume some of the snaps left open by Mathis' departure.''I just like what he's done right now in practice,'' Sparano said of Alleman.``He's been playing tough out there, creating some competition.''
Omar Kelly, of the South Florida SunSentinel, reports OG Andy Alleman is pushing OG Ike Ndukwe for the starting right guard spot.

Man did anyone see Former Zips standout Chase Blackburn tear up the eagles this past sunday night. On a big 4th and 1 play near the end of the game.... the eagles tried to give the ball to westbrook, but big chase said he aint having none of that.... and stuffed westbrook to get the ball back for the Giants...... he also had a few huge plays on special teams.

Man did anyone see Former Zips standout Chase Blackburn tear up the eagles this past sunday night. On a big 4th and 1 play near the end of the game.... the eagles tried to give the ball to westbrook, but big chase said he aint having none of that.... and stuffed westbrook to get the ball back for the Giants...... he also had a few huge plays on special teams.
Yeah he had a huge fumble recovery on a kickoff as one of those big special teams plays.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Per Zips Blog By: Vincent Dorsey Tate makes most of practice time with CFL’s Calgary Stampeders (June 15) About a week ago, I referenced a column on this blog that predicted UA football alum Jabari Arthur is in position for a break-out year in his first full season in the Canadian Football League. After being signed by the Calgary Stampeders in May, Davanzo Tate, a former teammate of Arthur at UA, is making a name for himself as well. In a recent preseason practice, Tate intercepted a pass and knocked down another in a red-zone situation while subbing for one of the team’s starting defensive backs. The two former Zips will continue preseason practice the rest of the month before the Stampeders begin the regular season July 1 against Montreal. Further down the blog...Arthur will begin his first full season in the CFL with a home game against Montreal on July 1. [Jermaine] Reid will begin his third CFL season as a Hamilton Tiger-Cat the same night with a home game against Toronto.

Per Zips Blog By: Vincent Dorsey Tate makes most of practice time with CFL’s Calgary Stampeders (June 15) About a week ago, I referenced a column on this blog that predicted UA football alum Jabari Arthur is in position for a break-out year in his first full season in the Canadian Football League. After being signed by the Calgary Stampeders in May, Davanzo Tate, a former teammate of Arthur at UA, is making a name for himself as well. In a recent preseason practice, Tate intercepted a pass and knocked down another in a red-zone situation while subbing for one of the team’s starting defensive backs. The two former Zips will continue preseason practice the rest of the month before the Stampeders begin the regular season July 1 against Montreal. Further down the blog...Arthur will begin his first full season in the CFL with a home game against Montreal on July 1. [Jermaine] Reid will begin his third CFL season as a Hamilton Tiger-Cat the same night with a home game against Toronto.
Jabari Arthur scored his first pro TD last Wednesday in the Calgary Stampeders pre-season opener, he also returned a fumbled punt for a TD but it was called back due to penalty. Drew Tate saw some action and looked quite good as well despite struggling against the rush a little bit. Davanzo Tate is in a battle for a roster spot with about 3 other guys and didn't look great although the Stampeders front 7 did little through pressure to help them out.Here's the highlights Stampeder highlights from the game, Arthur's TD is at the end of the package and he wears #87, Tate is #4 and has highlights sprinkled throughout...http://www.stampeders.com/multimedia/audio_video/Any questions on any of them feel free to ask!

Jabari Arthur scored his second TD of the preseason in the Stampeders second pre--season game. He then broke his foot in practice and will be out long term. Drew Tate looked good again in the second game and ended up winning the third string spot, the guy throws a very nice ball I've been impressed so far. Davanzo Tate barely survived last cuts and now has been pressed into starting action as one of our veteran starters Brandon Smith has an injured knee.Former Zips did well this pre-season. Arthur is a big loss though, he looked poised to break out in a big way this year.

• 3 weeks later...

No surprise but Charlie Frye and QB Bruce Gradkowski are in competition for the Raiders' No. 3 quarterback spot.Chase Blackburn and Gerris Wilkinson are candidates to start at outside linebacker Week 1 in placed of suspended LB Michael Boley.Per Zips Blog by Vincent Dorsey, Reggie Corner will be trying to win the nickel cornerback position on the Buffalo Bills’ first-team defense when the team opens its 2009 training camp on July 25. Corner, a second-year pro, is considered the favorite to win the spot, after excelling in the role late last season and in the team’s spring practices.Bryan Williams still is without a team.

• 3 weeks later...

Bruce Gradkowski keeps getting reps with the second team, but to the untrained eye he seems to be being outplayed decisively by Charlie Frye per a Raider blog.Brandon Anderson update from Browns scrimmage.Andy Alleman worked at left guard with the No. 1 offense, because of an injury.Reggie Corner update from the Hall of Fame Game.