Vegas odds for opening week

ZachTheZip

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/Akron is the only MAC team favored to win a non-conference game for the opening weekend this season, and it's only by a touchdown against what is arguably the worst team in 1A football.BSU by 6.5 over Miami (O)Rutgers by 31 over UBISU by 5.5 over Can't StateNavy by 21 over TempleWVU by 23 over WMUIowa by 10 over NIUAkron by 7 over ArmyKansas by 8 over CMUPitt by 22 over EMUPurdue by 7 over ToledoMN by 17 over BGSU

I hate to nit-pick, but in gambling lingo wouldn't that be the Zips -7? That spread sounds about right to me. We've only beaten a service academy once, the trhilling, come from behind win over Navy due in large part to a fantastic punt return by Brandon Payne. I recall Frenchie making a big deal out of Roger Staubach being there (it was homecoming).

Until we prove we can beat them, Army has our number and we have a raw offense and special teams. How many penalties will we commit (remember last year)? Will we turn the ball over? If nothing else, Army will be tough, disciplined, well coached and inspired to be playing in an NFL stadium, which is not our home field. We may be favored but I'm not ringing the victory bell yet.

I think we should beat Army, but I'm not going to saw we will. All in all, I give us an edge because of the location and because we're probably a better team. With that said, I don't give us much of an edge and we better show up in Cleveland the same way we showed in in West Lafayette 2 years ago.....THAT was impressive how prepared we were.

My predicitons ATS (for what it's worth):BSU by 6.5 over Miami (O) - Ball St. will cover. They are my pick to win the MAC in 2007.Rutgers by 31 over UB - Takes Bulls and points. RU will go up early and call off the dogsISU by 5.5 over Can't State - Flushes not only cover but could defeat weak Cyclones.Navy by 21 over Temple - Navy's 'bone pummels the weak. Give the points.WVU by 23 over WMU - 2007 MAC media darlings get off to slow start. 'eers will cover.Iowa by 10 over NIU - Iowa covers, but just barely, in a hard fought game.Akron by 7 over Army - Our Zips "escape" Browns stadium with a win but by less than 7.Kansas by 8 over CMU - Jayhawks break it open late and cover.Pitt by 22 over EMU - EMU shocks all by making this a decent game. Take the points.Purdue by 7 over Toledo - Glass Bowl not a welcome place for OOC teams. Take points. MN by 17 over BGSU - Gophers get off to good start under new regime and cover.