Zips vs Army - your thoughts?

zipboy

Just going by Rasor's outstanding notes :thumb: (Thanks Mike, great job) and Mike Cawood's notes (solid updates), I feel guarded in my optimisim this year. Usually I am overly confident at this point. What I like1. Team chemistry and disicpline seem to be there. I don't think there is much seperation in terms of talent in the MAC East. Mental toughness will be the difference this year.2. I think DK rebounds to a nice year. Hopefully JD has enough faith in the RBs to play 3-4 guys throughout the year and keep people fresh.3. I am not as worried about the D Line. I hope for big things from Mondo. No news on Nate Robinson in camp. Is that good or bad?What worries me1. Will special teams be any better this year? I am very worried about the kicking game. But I expect great things from the return team.2. Jaq has the nod now. But I am still worried about our QBs. We have had good play dating back to Butchie. We need the QB to be better than average.3. Will the OLine bounce back? Again unproven but high profile guys coming in. I am hopeful here.So predicting the Army game after seeing no practices, when in doubt go with the Zips. If we don't beat Army, they are either a lot better than I thought or we are going to have a bad year. I look for us to be really good in spots and look really bad in others. But Akron's sheer talent should win out. Zips win 24 - 13 and give us optimisim heading into week 2.

The Zips need a relatively competitive game against Army in order to see how the players play in that type of situation, and work out kinks. They also could do with a big crowd to see how playing games like that are, before they go to Colombus and get overwhelmed. Unfortunately, neither of these things will happen. Akron will blow out Army in front of a crowd of less than 30,000. See you all on Saturday!Go Zips!

zipboy....I'm sure you'll get arguments that talent in the MAC East is not equal. If it were, Temple and Buffalo would have just as much of a chance as everyone else. Lets hope that's not the case. Hopefully, we win this game and show some promise for the coming season. My only problem is that I keep having flushbacks to the way they manhandled us 2 years ago.The game attendance (ticket sales) will show 25,000-30,000 thousand, but less than 20,000 people will be in the stands. Can't did the right thing by skipping the Patriot Bowl next year, and keeping their game with Boston College at home.

Army is ranked as the worst DI team in the nation. If we don't beat them or struggle to beat them, it doesn't look good for us.
I've heard this from self-described CFB "experts" Oooooh, too many times! Army is not a very good team, but to say they're worse than Fla Int, Utah St., Idaho, or half the Sun Belt is absolutely ridiculous. In fact, I'd say Army is better than half the MAC -- that's why Akron canNOT afford to take a break against the Knights.

Z.I.P......I'm going to take that a step further. Not only should we NOT take them lightly, but they flat out kicked our butts two years ago, in Akron. Anyone who thinks this is our "warmup" for Ohio State better wake up.In fact, our only victory against any service academy since we turned 1-A was because of a miracle comeback.Speaking of the Sunbelt.....and Army...The Sunbelt is ranked higher than the MAC East in terms of conference strength. That's because, regardless of their weak links, they have a few really good programs in Middle Tennessee, Arkansas State, and Troy State.In fact (bringing the subject back to the Army) Arkansas State played Army last year, on their own home field in Jonesboro, and barely won. And that Arkansas State team was the defending Sun Belt champs, who came oh so close to winning the conference again for a second straight year. Anyone still want to think Army is a pushover?

The Army game is a game Akron should win, but one thing has me nervous and that is special teams. Army is pretty solid in the return game and they have a pretty good punter/kicker....I have to admit I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the Zips Special Teams, so maybe someone on here can help me out....How does Akron look as far as a punt/kick returner, kicker/punter and should we look out for some fakes or trick plays?Thanks....GO ZIPS!

I've said it before. I'll be more than happy if the Zips simply win this game. We've never beaten them, and have never really even given them a decent game, so for anyone to expect a Zip win via blowout is beyond me. You know the Knights will be well disciplined. I expect the Zips to have bigger and better athletes, but that isn't always enough. I expect a narrow Zip win, 31-30.

Army is ranked as the worst DI team in the nation. If we don't beat them or struggle to beat them, it doesn't look good for us.
I've heard this from self-described CFB "experts" Oooooh, too many times! Army is not a very good team, but to say they're worse than Fla Int, Utah St., Idaho, or half the Sun Belt is absolutely ridiculous. In fact, I'd say Army is better than half the MAC -- that's why Akron canNOT afford to take a break against the Knights.
Of course, Akron can't take a break. However, it is starting to sound like some people are starting to get the excuse wagon warmed up.If Akron is improving, like so many of us hope they are, it shouldn't matter if Army is the worst team or the 20th worst team. We should beat them fairly easily..............................................................................................................

I've said it before. I'll be more than happy if the Zips simply win this game. We've never beaten them, and have never really even given them a decent game, so for anyone to expect a Zip win via blowout is beyond me. You know the Knights will be well disciplined. I expect the Zips to have bigger and better athletes, but that isn't always enough. I expect a narrow Zip win, 31-30.
Good post. Trends are more important than what a prognosticator says.The service academies bring a level of discipline that quite frankly is not equaled in just about 99% of major college programs. In reality, they have a lower skill level than most and the discipline is what they need to fall back upon. Army will bring a 100% effort this weekend.With that said, Akron should still win this game. Expect a dog fight. Expect two missed field goals. 21-17 Akron wins.

Those of us that are taking this game seriously are not being pessimistic, or getting ready to make excuses.The fact is.....this is a pretty even matchup that can go either way.If you look at what I posted earlier regarding Army's win over us two years ago, and Army's game last year AT defending Sun Belt champion Arkansas State, you'll see why I feel the way I do. I'm simply trying to warn those who are thinking "well, this is a practice game...they are the worst team in the country".

Those of us that are taking this game seriously are not being pessimistic, or getting ready to make excuses.The fact is.....this is a pretty even matchup that can go either way.If you look at what I posted earlier regarding Army's win over us two years ago, and Army's game last year AT defending Sun Belt champion Arkansas State, you'll see why I feel the way I do. I'm simply trying to warn those who are thinking "well, this is a practice game...they are the worst team in the country".
I agree with you. I don't think this is a practice game. They are DI. However, I feel that we, as fans, should expect a win. I guess I am just trying to say that if lose to Army, I feel it is going to be a long season. I think this being the first game of the season is the best thing possible for the team.Noone ever overlooks thier first opponent. It is their first chance to hit someone else after a long preseason camp.

I think the Zips are 0-7 in their last seven independent matchups. I can't give you a link, but I remember reading that in one of the betting books.
That's kind of sad.Notre Shame is the only big time, or at least used to be, independent out there.We need to change that pattern this week.

:thumb: frankly this may set the tone for the rest of the year...ZIPS lose this one they go into the can't game not only physically but emotionally beaten up...problem is ARMY has some experience at a number of positions...a Lombardi list D-lineman a Lott list d-back and a kid at center who is apparently outstanding...this is a tough game to win!