I think we've seen the end....

JP Morgan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've seen Charlie Frye's last start in a Cleveland Browns uniform. I love Charlie, but it's over. Hopefuly he can get out of Cleveland and land somewhere where he can get a fresh start.
It's been hard to watch. Unfortunately, it's questionable whether Charlie can play at that level. I've been pulling for him and hoping for him, but in the end he just hasn't been able to get it done.Anyway, he's made some nice cash, had experiences most kids only dream of, and will come out of it without being crippled. Not bad for a skinny kid out of Willard.

I think we've seen Charlie Frye's last start in a Cleveland Browns uniform. I love Charlie, but it's over.
I agree and I've been pulling for him even as most people wanted him replaced.His scrambling ability helped him in college, but it doesn't help him in the pros. Mainly because the players are much faster and he can't get away. Also he got used to scrambling in college and holds the ball too long. That plus he is afraid to make a mistake also causes him to hold on to the ball to long.With the right system in place he may eventually become an average starting qb, but I would guess he will be a career backup or out of the nfl in a few years.

I have to agree that this was probably his last shot in Cleveland. I've tried to withhold judgement on him, because it takes time with NFL QB's and he wasn't getting much help the last 2 years, but I didn't see anything today that provided much hope for a future for Charlle in Cleveland, or perhaps anywhere else as a starter. He's a good guy and I hope he sticks it out enough to hang around the NFL for as long as he wants.

I knew you guys would be talking about this, but I thought I would wait for the end of the game to give my analysis.I expected Frye to have a very short leash, but not that short. Three series???I'll defend BOTH Frye and Anderson by saying that neither of them could have possibly been ready for the start of the season with the coaching staff not giving either of them any chance to develop any continuity in the preseason. Although, if I recall, Anderson actually got many more throws than Frye or Quinn in the preseason. You simply can't have a QB ready to start the season, against a defense like Pittsburgh, while only throwing the ball about 30 times in the entire preseason. It showed today. Interceptions by both, some Frye passes off target, an Anderson fumble, and several more poor throws by Anderson that should have been picked off, etc., etc. etc. Even when Anderson threw a few nice passes to establish any kind of drive, he has a pass during that series that should have been intercepted. In my eyes, he seemed to have slightly more control of the offense than Charlie today, but that's not saying much when you are critiquing an offensive performance this bad.I like what the one annoucer said......something to the effect of...."If I am any of the Browns' quarterback, I don't want any part of this".With all of that said, we need to keep in mind that this is a BAD BAD FOOTBALL TEAM. Emphasis on the word TEAM. A new QB will solve nothing for this team. I hope Charlie gets another opportunity in a better situation. It won't happen here. He's lost the support of the fans, and the coaches at this point, regardless of what any of us think any of the underlying reason are that have contributed to his lack of success. Besides the QB's performances, many, many other things went wrong...1) Dropped passes (just about all WRs guilty)2) Fumbles (Anderson, Lewis, Edwards).3) Blocking Breakdowns (how many Browns OL's did you see get pushed flat on their backs in passing situations)?4) DL that could not get any kind of push to stop the run (something that should have been addressed in the draft while we were pursuing a new QB).5) Missed assignments in the secondary.6) Linebackers that bounced off of running backs with great frequency (the run by Davenport was a classic). I'm not sure what we'll hear more of this week....Fire Crennel, or Start Quinn. The first one might not accomplish much, but might be necessary. The second one solves nothing.

This is all about Brady Quinn. Frye got sacked, pressured, and had atleast 3 drops that I can remember. They took him out before he ever had a chance to look good, and that is by design. Coaches and Staff know that the fans have some residual hope/loyalty for frye, but have no love for Anderson, really. Taking frye out after those short series was great timing. I revise my prediction of Quinn being in by the 5th game. I know expect to see him next week or the following week at the latest... not starting the games at first, but soon. Very soon.

You're right, zen. It is about Brady Quinn.I don't think there is any reason to doubt that Charlie understood what that trade down to #22 meant for him... namely that his days as a Brown were numbered. What he needed to do was show in camp, in preseason and today's game that he belongs at this level and that he can lead a professionall team. He didn't show it in camp, which was bad for him. He didn't show it with any consistency in the pre-season, which was a whole lot worse for him. So, today's game was pretty much a formality as far as Charlie is concerned. He needed to look darned good, and look darned good immediately. He did not look even pretty good.Is it all his fault that the Browns are bad? Of course not. As a team, they have more issues than Sybil (LOL... oldies like me might remember Sybil, played by Sally Field, I think. :P ). But I don't think there's any question the Browns aren't going to start Quinn much sooner than later and dump Charlie at the end of this season... maybe sooner.This is not to bash Charlie. To the contrary, I hope he proves me hopelessly wrong.

:wave: i'm the biggest Charley fan out here...just ask the people where i work...but not only is it time for charley to go its time for homeo to take the long ride out of town...in 3 yrs his teams are rarely if ever prepared on either side of the ball...he seems to be someone who THINKS he is smarter than he really is but is oblivious to reality on the field...nice guy to have a beer with...NOT A HEAD COACH IN THE NFL...i blame him in part for the QB problems!!!

He needed to look darned good, and look darned good immediately. He did not look even pretty good.
I agree. He needed to take the last opportunities he got and he needed to make something happen, despite extremely poor protection. The dropped passes he couldn't do anything about either. The interception was indeed bad. It was his fault. I think it's over.

JP Morgan. You are absolutely right. But Crennel and company are getting desperate to save their jobs, and will resort to anything right now.When you pull your starting QB during the 1st quarter of the first game, you are getting VERY desperate. I do believe, like most people, that the move was intended to have a QB in there that the fans have no attachment to (Anderson) when it comes time to send Quinn out as the starter. Now, Quinn will go out there under the same circumstances and get his butt kicked, and this franchise will be set back another 5 years.I'm losing my patience.

I am a Browns fan but say this.  Give the freaking idiot fans what they want!  Start Quinn next week.  I guarantee the same result.
Aha! J. Pierpont Morgan, you have said a mouthful.The Breveland Clowns need to clean house -- from the top down. I would love to see Charlie Frye in a Miami Dolphin or Atlanta Falcon uniform. Too bad his career was set back on draft day in '05.

Anyone who watched the game saw that Derek Anderson (not a very good QB..average at best) is far better than Frye. He at least steps up into the pocket, gets rid of the ball, and actually tries throwing the ball down field. Frye had plenty of time to throw today...on his first INT, Edwards was WIDE open on the left side. He gives his all...thats for certain...but he is just a terrible NFL QB.

JP Morgan. You are absolutely right. But Crennel and company are getting desperate to save their jobs, and will resort to anything right now.When you pull your starting QB during the 1st quarter of the first game, you are getting VERY desperate. I do believe, like most people, that the move was intended to have a QB in there that the fans have no attachment to (Anderson) when it comes time to send Quinn out as the starter. Now, Quinn will go out there under the same circumstances and get his butt kicked, and this franchise will be set back another 5 years.I'm losing my patience.
Didn't seem like the fans had much attachment to Frye today...And I'm not sure what him being in Atlanta would do - he'd still have his same skill set. In a game where he didn't do one thing well...or even OK...people still defend him and blame the rest of the team. He wasn't benched because of the fans, or because of Quinn...he was benched because he can't move the chains. He was benched because he continually makes mistakes and kills the offense. He was benched because the running game can't do squat when the defense knows Frye won't throw over 5-10 yards downfield. Simply put - he was benched because he hasn't been and wasn't today successful in doing his job. There's only so many times you can blame the receivers, O-Line, Front Office, etc etc etc instead of Charlie...it's time he's held accountable.

I have always supported Charlie and wanted him to have a fair chance. I always blamed the line, the receivers and the Off coord.Today, i ran out of excuses. I was at the game and Charlie just killed himself. I counted 7 mississippi on one snap and he didn't throw and got sacked. I don'r remember any good pass dropped. He threw multiple passes behind receivers in slants... Today was not a good day to be a browns fan... or coach.Charlie killed hismelf, DA is a joke and BQ is not ready. Romeo is in a very tough situation.

he was benched because he can't move the chains. He was benched because he continually makes mistakes and kills the offense. He was benched because the running game can't do squat when the defense knows Frye won't throw over 5-10 yards downfield.Simply put - he was benched because he hasn't been and wasn't today successful in doing his job. There's only so many times you can blame the receivers, O-Line, Front Office, etc etc etc instead of Charlie...it's time he's held accountable.
He was benched because like the past 5 quarterbacks in Cleveland, after a few weeks of being pounded, you start questioning yourself and you start pressing and eventually you screw up more than you succeed.That's why backup's in C-Towm are successful (initially) and are loved by the fans until they atart a fwe games...then it's.......what about the next guy.Don't believe me...wait till Quinn starts.......I HOPE I"M WRONG!

he was benched because he can't move the chains. He was benched because he continually makes mistakes and kills the offense. He was benched because the running game can't do squat when the defense knows Frye won't throw over 5-10 yards downfield.Simply put - he was benched because he hasn't been and wasn't today successful in doing his job. There's only so many times you can blame the receivers, O-Line, Front Office, etc etc etc instead of Charlie...it's time he's held accountable.
He was benched because like the past 5 quarterbacks in Cleveland, after a few weeks of being pounded, you start questioning yourself and you start pressing and eventually you screw up more than you succeed.That's why backup's in C-Towm are successful (initially) and are loved by the fans until they atart a fwe games...then it's.......what about the next guy.Don't believe me...wait till Quinn starts.......I HOPE I"M WRONG!
Why does everyone continue to make excuses for the guy????? We're now blaming Cleveland for screwing him up mentally?No matter where he played or will play, Charlie has the same weak arm, will make the same bad decisions with the ball, and keep the same poor field awareness he currently possesses. Why did the chains start moving when Derek Anderson - a guy most seem to think is a joke (and I think is average at best) came into the game?