YSU @ Akron in 2009?

eguins

Yeah, it would be a sellout, but who cares? It is short sighted to see a sellout against YSU as a "good thing" for our program. If we have to depend on bringing in a local D1-AA team in order to get a sellout then we might as well pack it in and drop down a level.Playing YSU does not do anything good for our program. NOTHING!! Name one good thing it does beside a sell out one day. Does it help us in recruiting? No. Kids already think Akron isn't "big time" enough for them, so how is hosting an even smaller opponent a good way to get recruits? Does it help the programs prestige? No. Look at my statement above. A lot of uneducated Ohio fans think we are about on par with YSU anyway, so why on earth would we stoop down to the level of playing them? It would set us back 5 years or more if we lost to them. Can you imagine our recruits in the stands if they had to watch us get beat by YSU? That would be tragic. Does YSU cause students or alumni to get excited about the game? No. Akron never played YSU when I was in school. Akron should not play YSU now because most UA students would view that as a step down. We already have a hard time getting them to the game now. Do you think us playing YSU will get them pumped up to come back to the stadium for more games? The only UA fans that think it is a good idea are the older fan base that grew up watching this series when we were both tiny little nobody schools. We are trying to break that image.It is one thing when an established power plays a D1-AA school every few years. They are selling tickets regardless and they can normally (within 99% chance) guarantee a blow out victory. Nothing is a sure thing with us. Our non conference home games need to be something to draw fans interest as well as provide a platform to help build our program. YSU just does nothing in that regard. Bring in a Cincy, Marshall, Syracuse, Maryland, Northwestern, etc... Hell, we could probably get a sellout if we played Mount Union. Do you think THAT would be good for our program? We need to look at the big picture here and not do potential harm just to sell a few extra seats for ONE game.

I know that our 2009 schedule will have Kentucky and Indiana visiting.  The other two slots, I don't know if we have confirmed opponents yet.  I would not mind if it was YSU for one of them.  UK and IU are not garaunteed wins.  We could use at least one game a year that we are supposed to win at home and can try different players out.  In football, strength of schedule does not matter as much for bowl bids.
If YSU came to Akron in 2009, that would give us 7 home games for the inaugural season. How can anyone complain about that? That would include the following guaranteed sell-outs:K.e.n.tYSUIndianaObviously the other games would draw very well too.A seven game home schedule with three guaranteed sell-outs would be a great way to open 2009!
This was probably just an oversight, but you don't think the Kentucky game will sell out?! I do. So that'll be 3 sellouts anyhow: 1) Kentucky, 2) IU and 3) Can't.

When I stated BCS Opponents I meant I-A/FBS opponents!! See I am all confused with the new designations with the divisions now. BCS=I-A=FBS while I-AA=FCS.Anyways I mean in 2009 we have a game scheduled with a I-A team, not in the BIG TEN, and the school is well known to the fans in Youngstown.I'm hoping it's the Zips so we can continue to hold onto that crummy old rusty Steel Tire! Go Penguins!

as much as i would like to have alott of homes games.we will have to pay for the new stadium.plus all the mac schools fb run in the red.i still think the zips will have to go on the road for at least two paydays maybe three every year.even if you fill the new stadium it cannot bring in the revenue from going to play a top bcs team.i know they have alott of money donated for the new stadium,but the botton line is most non schools lose money.

as much as i would like to have alott of homes games.we will have to pay for the new stadium.plus all the mac schools fb run in the red.i still think the zips will have to go on the road for at least two paydays maybe three every year.even if you fill the new stadium it cannot bring in the revenue from going to play a top bcs team.i know they have alott of money donated for the new stadium,but the botton line is most non schools lose money.
I look at it this way: 30,000 seats x $15/seat (i'm guessing this will be the average in the new stadium)= $450,000/game. Multiply that by 6 home games and you get $2.7mil, plus concessions. The Zips start winning over this year and the next and the excitement will be at fever pitch when the new stadium opens. The ability to sell out our stadium will determine the need to head out on the road for a "payday."