CSU and Akron to merge?

ZippyBoy

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/stori...0510.xml&coll=2An interesting article about the possible merger appeared in the PD today. The avoid the issues of which campus will be the main one and the the changeing of names. I am still sure that the University of Akron will be the main campus. We're almost twice as big as CSU and we are becoming a traditional (non-commuter) campus, while CSU is still a commuter school. I would absolutely love to have a "University of Akron - Cleveland Campus", and if the merger goes through, we all have to campaign loud and hard for this, lest we lose our identity.

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/stori....xml&coll=2An interesting article about the possible merger appeared in the PD today. The avoid the issues of which campus will be the main one and the the changeing of names. I am still sure that the University of Akron will be the main campus. We're almost twice as big as CSU and we are becoming a traditional (non-commuter) campus, while CSU is still a commuter school. I would absolutely love to have a "University of Akron - Cleveland Campus", and if the merger goes through, we all have to campaign loud and hard for this, lest we lose our identity.
Though your logic makes complete sense to almost anyone, I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I fear that Clevelanders would throw their weight around and may turn the tables on Akron. Columbus would sell out Akron to show everyone how they are trying to help Cleveland out in tough times. They would probably move the administration up there too. Luckily for us, we have Proenza, and there is NO WAY he would let something like that happen.

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/stori...0510.xml&coll=2An interesting article about the possible merger appeared in the PD today. The avoid the issues of which campus will be the main one and the the changeing of names. I am still sure that the University of Akron will be the main campus. We're almost twice as big as CSU and we are becoming a traditional (non-commuter) campus, while CSU is still a commuter school. I would absolutely love to have a "University of Akron - Cleveland Campus", and if the merger goes through, we all have to campaign loud and hard for this, lest we lose our identity.
All valid points, however there are a few big problems.First off, Cleveland is the bigger market. They have the larger city, the media, the pro-sports teams, the bigger hospitals. Everything. Cleveland leaders are not going to be too happy if this goes through and they are just a branch campus to UA. Second off, Cleveland is, for the moment, the city that is in need of a bigger economic boost. Akron isn't doing that great, but compared to Cleveland we are doing a pretty decent job. Cleveland is falling apart. A stronger CSU (with Akron as a branch campus) may be looked at as a means to reverse some of the disturbing trends up there. It would be a shame for Akron to have to suffer for figuring out just how important a college campus can be to the community 10 years before Cleveland is force fed the idea, but it could very well happen.

This is how I see it. Akron is more than twice the size of CSU. We have more students, and have 15 dorms to their two. There is no way they can make us a branch campus to a glorified tri-c. If anything, I think they would give CSU the medical school and a majority of the graduate studies while we would keep the undergrad stuff.
What I think is that the entire idea stinks. After being in business and seeing how little was really saved when two geographically close locations were merged, and how much was really lost ... the entire idea stinks. And to think that in any political contest where Akron and Cleveland were pitted against each other and Akron would come out on top ... the entire idea stinks. And looking at the two universities I don't see any synergy in combining them ... the entire idea stinks. I think by now you get my opinion of the idea. :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

If nothing else, they could put the 2 schools under one administration and standardize the curricula but not change names. Combine any duplicate PhD programs and put them at one campus or the other. Then NEOUCOM/P could be brought in but I don't know if they'll kick Can't State & YSU to the curb on that. If the 10 year University System of Ohio plan goes thru we'll eventually be USO-Akron, USO-Cleveland(State), etc...this would just be a first step toward that outcome. IMO, if they really want to merge the 2 schools there should be some type of "free" express transportation link like BRT or rail so the campuses are truly linked together...this highway traffic crap has got to go.

I think something has to be done, but I have no experience in merging two similar entities that are close, but I would have to imagine that eliminating duplicate programs would have to save money. Like I said before, I think they should leverage the internet to help downsize. Classes could be taken virturally, not just between 2 campuses, but throughout the entire state. In NE Ohio, YSU is the 11th largest in the state (~11,000), CSU is the 10th largest Public University in the state (~16,000) while Akron is the 5th largest (~23,500) and Can't is the 3rd largest(~33,500). I can see where merging these universities would make sense. Conventional wisdom says that take the smaller universities and merge them with the larger ones. That would make 2 universities with 40,000 in enrollment.I would not put it past Columbus to make Akron a branch campus of CSU. I am one of the people that believe a strong University is KEY to a cities future. With that said, Cleveland holds more sway than Akron, and the powers that be would be more than happy to sacrifice Akron to help out Cleveland. All the downsizing would take place in Akron and the administration would move to Cleveland.

I would not put it past Columbus to make Akron a branch campus of CSU. I am one of the people that believe a strong University is KEY to a cities future. With that said, Cleveland holds more sway than Akron, and the powers that be would be more than happy to sacrifice Akron to help out Cleveland. All the downsizing would take place in Akron and the administration would move to Cleveland.
This is why I said from the beginning (from before the beginning, last year, when fingerhut was already spewing political crap along these lines) that this is ALL about POLITICS and has little to do with serving the PUBLIC. Making a move like that isn't a coin toss. It would be a deliberate attempt to avoid the efficiency and other bullcrap you claimed to strive for and play power politics.... which is exactly what I said this was going to be about from the beginning.