Zips article in the Beacon today

zff

Nice article today about the MLS stadium and Zips football stadium situation.

Good to see the BJ up to speed. This concept was first penned on the old Blue Board about...oh...maybe 2 months ago? Don't these BJ guys earn a salary based upon timely, insightful reporting on events/stories in the Akron area? Must be nice to click on a web site, copy something someone else wrote, pass it off as your own work, and get paid for doing it?

If anyone knows a good product management web site, clue me in. ;)

Just what the Zippys need. A stadium three times further off campus than the current one. Anyone can see that's a great idea. Easy access to Cleveland like the old Richfield Coliseum was. Just as far from Clevelanders minds, too. Ho ho ho.

What moron at Hill Top High is dreaming of shiny new 25,000 seat (Divison I-AA class) stadium. Doesn't the NCAA already require I-A stadiums be brought up to 30,000 seat capacity? Is there a clue to the Zippy's future here? Ho ho ho.

Could it be that the ghost of cheapness and lipless cowardness still haunts the campus? Ho ho ho.

Perhaps the trees on campus aren't trees at all, but thousands of "Ents" that will fill the seats of this shiny complex 20 miles from home. After all, it only takes an "Ent" about a week to walk 20 miles. They better be able to. They will be the only ones there. Ho ho ho.

Is there any chance of forward vision in Zippyland? Will Zips fans continue to be treated to the likes of Howard and Cal-Poly as future home and home dates? Even Middle Tennessee which jumped to I-A years after the Zips has a better future. Ho ho ho.

I don't think that Mike Thomas and the rest of the Akron brain trust are stupid enough to consider anything that is not right on or very very close to campus, say downtown Akron near the ballpark. I am concerned that they might consider a 25,000 seat facility though. In the early 1980's the JAR arena was originally designed for 8 - 10,000, but was scaled down as a cost saving move. You can only speculate, but a bigger facility back then probably would have brought in better players. The same thing can be said for a high class football stadium. Rat Fink is right. It would be a I-AA class stadium. If the Zips have any dreams of becoming an upper echolon program in the MAC, and I know they do. They had better build something in the 40,000 range similar to what Connecticut recently did. I believe the Rubber Bowl holds about 36,000 so we're basically talking in the same size range. Based upon what they are doing regarding the new fieldhouse, I think that there is reason for optimisim. I just hope and pray that they make the right decision. Memo to Dr Proenza and Mr. Thomas: Don't be neanderthals about this. It is an extremely important decision.