Zippy Vote

zip81

There are currently 21,997 undergraduate and 6,111 graduate students here at Virginia Tech.
Does he really think that VT is that much bigger than the University of Akron? They seem to be very close in terms of size. Sure, if every VT sutdent voted once a day they would have a massive amount of votes, but the same goes for Akron.

He writes to the student newspaper.
Maybe you should link to the article instead of your blog.On Monday, September 24, Virginia Tech lost a contest that few students were aware of. Our beloved mascot the Hokie Bird lost to the University of Akron's "Zippy Kangaroo" in the Capital One Mascot Bowl.I love the Hokie Bird and the reason I'm writing this is because I'm extremely disappointed with our university's lack of support for him. There were 12 mascots playing this year in the Capital One competition, including other big universities such as University of Georgia, University of Virginia, University of California Los Angeles, and Syracuse.Each week the Hokie Bird faces a different mascot in a competition to receive the most online votes in seven days. It's a very simple process to vote and anyone with access to the Internet can do it once a day, seven days a week. This means Tech students have a chance to vote for the Hokie Bird seven times each week. There are currently 21,997 undergraduate and 6,111 graduate students here at Virginia Tech.That means that a total of 28,108 current Virginia Tech students could be voting for our adored mascot. If each of these students voted once a day, seven days a week that would make a total of 196,756 votes each week. Unfortunately, however, not every student here at Tech voted, and that's why our mascot is now 1-1 coming off an embarrassing loss last week to Zippy. In that week two loss the Hokie Bird received a total of 36,388 votes, well short of the potential support he could receive if our entire university was supporting him.When I told my friends I was really upset about our university's lack of support for our mascot, some of them said it was too much to ask of students to take the time every day and vote for our mascot in a contest that doesn't really matter. I disagree. I had a friend time how long it took me to vote and it took a total of 27 seconds. To be fair though, I'll round this number up to a solid minute since sometimes the Internet is slow.That comes to a total of seven minutes a week out of 10,080 total, or a whopping .006 percent of a student's week. I know as students our workload can be tough at times but I don't believe students can't find seven minutes a week for this. On Facebook the group "Save the Stick It In Cheer" has 9,127 members. However, the Facebook group trying to support the Hokie Bird cause has 379 members.This sends the message that a cheer is more important than our mascot who represents everything we try to be as Hokies. If 9,000 people can find the time to join this group to save a cheer, why can't they take seven minutes a week for something even more important, supporting our mascot?When I go to football games in Lane Stadium I hear 60,000 fans and students cheer as loudly as they can when they see the Hokie Bird bench press after scores. His job is to fire up the fans to inspire our sports teams to play harder and therefore be more successful. If he fights for the sports teams that we love, why can't each of us take seven minutes out of our week to fight for him? As I walk around campus, I see hundreds of students wearing shirts with his image. Saying the contest doesn't matter is totally ridiculous, too.If the Hokie Bird wins, Tech students will have bragging rights for the rest of the year and will have proof that our mascot really is the best in the country.This week is homecoming, when all around campus students are showing their pride in a great university. What better way to show that pride to the entire nation than by voting for our beloved Hokie Bird each day? Go to www.capitalonebowl.com to vote and tell all your friends to do the same. I challenge the students of this university, who refer to themselves as Hokies, to start fighting for the mascot they supposedly love so much.