Official Marshall/Akron Insult Thread

Captain Kangaroo

ahh come on man, are you serious

They "clutter" your board.

You guys have had 15 posts since the season started, and you are going to delete threads which is trying to drum up some enthuiasm in the morgue.

At least copy my original posts over to this thread....geez

Hey Zip "Fan" (notice not plural) I herd that you ran a message board that no one ever posted on, and then one day someone came by to get some excitement going and you deleted the posts saying and I quote, "they clutter up the board"

That is like saying, parking 17 tractor trailors, 15 RV's, 11 cranes, 6 dumptrucks and Tom Amstuz's family in the Rubber Bowl on game day may block someones view.

I actually found a person in Akron afraid of Marshall QB Stan Hill!!

drivethrusmall14.jpg

Look for Stan at a local Burger King...Thursday night...'bout 2:30am :CK_brew:

Football players arrested for public intoxication

By Matt Riley

Published: Friday, February 28, 2003

Marshall University quarterback Stan Hill was arrested early Tuesday morning on a misdemeanor for public intoxication.

The arrest is the second for Hill, 21, in four months. He was arrested in October and is still awaiting his trial date for misdemeanor traffic charges.

Huntington Police responded to a call from Burger King about a disturbance. Hill and teammate, offensive lineman Jarrett Baisden, were arrested by police at 1:21 a.m.

The incident report stated both players smelled of alcohol and had bloodshot eyes. Both players were walking from Burger King when police arrived.

The report said Hill used "very poor judgment."

Hill, a Tupelo, Miss., native, was taken to Prestera's substance abuse unit at Mildred Mitchell-Bateman Hospital before being arraigned. Baisden, 20, a Huntington freshman, was taken to jail.

Baisden played at Spring Valley High School before joining the Herd. He was arrested for underage consumption and released on $500 bond.

Hill was released on $100 bond, according to Cabell County Magistrate Johnny McCallister.

Both players are scheduled for a plea hearing on March 10, McCallister said.

If convicted, Hill faces a $100 fine, while Baisden faces up to three days in jail and/or a $500 fine.

"We're going to let the process take its course," Marshall head coach Bob Pruett said. "That's what we have to do with everything. It's just an allegation right now."

Hill gained fame when he started in place of an injured Byron Leftwich last season and led the Herd to a dramatic 36-34 victory over rival Miami (Ohio). Hill ran for a touchdown in the final minutes to give the Herd the win.

In October, Hill was accused of driving recklessly, resisting arrest, second-offense driving on a suspended license, failure to drive right of center and failure to obey a traffic light. He is accused of fleeing the police and his trial date for the first arrest is set for May.

Hill is in competition for the Herd's starting quarterback job next season. Baisden is expected to compete for playing time next season on the offensive line.

Hill and Baisden could not be reached for comment. Employees of Burger King were also instructed not to comment.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Good to see you brought out a recent article.

I would try and find something on you guys, but considering that no one really gives two flying f---- I probably would not have any luck.

November 02, 2004

Tickets free as Zips seek compliance with NCAA

In an attempt to fill up the oft-empty bleachers at the Rubber Bowl, officials at the University of Akron are giving fans the ultimate discount.

For Friday’s 7 p.m. game against Marshall, fans can get in for free.

A “select number†of ticket vouchers have been distributed to area schools and businesses that are part of the “Team Akron†sponsorship campaign. Those tickets can be redeemed for a free ticket in advance at the Rhodes Arena ticket office or the night of the game at the Rubber Bowl.

- advertisement-

An Akron press release declares that “a near-capacity crowd is expected.â€

The program will need a big crowd at the 31,000-seat Rubber Bowl to get out of trouble with the new NCAA Division I-A attendance standards. With two home dates left, the Zips are averaging 10,737, dead last among 117 I-A teams.

The standard that went into effect this year mandates an average actual attendance of 15,000. Akron needs to draw 42,788 fans in the Marshall game and a Nov. 20 game against Miami to make the cut.

Schools that fall short risk restricted membership and eventual “declassification†from I-A.

Akron’s freebies appear to comply with the rules. The NCAA spells out three methods of counting actual attendance, and none involve any definition of payment.

Schools need only to count attendees by retained ticket stubs, turnstile counts or manual counters. All counts must be certified by an outside auditing firm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean this is absolutly amazing. Finding creative ways to get ppl in your stadium is one thing, but just "giving" the tickets away is pathetic.

Guest ***GUEST_Z.I.P.

Could some gentleperson with an understanding of the history of the case please explain to a long-time out-of-towner how the seating capacity of the Rubber Bowl has shrunk to 31,000, when said out-of-towner has the personal experience of being in said bowl on multiple occasions when attendance was measured at more than forty thousand (40,000), including a Cleveland Browns exhibition with c. 45,000?

I know times cause change, and I was also in the JAR with more than 7,000 others when it opened. I would simply like to know what caused the "shrinkage". This isn't like Costanza's swim in the Hamptons is it? Just wondering. :rolleyes:

That is like saying, parking 17 tractor trailors, 15 RV's, 11 cranes, 6 dumptrucks and Tom Amstuz's family in the Rubber Bowl on game day may block someones view.

Akron doesn't need to park all that stuff on the field to block the view. They have huge light posts that do the job quite nicely.

Could some gentleperson with an understanding of the history of the case please explain to a long-time out-of-towner how the seating capacity of the Rubber Bowl has shrunk to 31,000, when said out-of-towner has the personal experience of being in said bowl on multiple occasions when attendance was measured at more than forty thousand (40,000), including a Cleveland Browns exhibition with c. 45,000?

I know times cause change, and I was also in the JAR with more than 7,000 others when it opened. I would simply like to know what caused the "shrinkage". This isn't like Costanza's swim in the Hamptons is it? Just wondering. :rolleyes:

The Rubber Bowl never seated 40,000...at least in the last 30-something years. The 40K attendance numbers were inflated by Red Cochrane. Actual capacity...oversold, and SRO, is probably 34K.

The JAR crowds were in excess of 5,800 several times in the Huggins era. They sat people in the walkways, stood them in the doorways...they basically let everyone that would fit in the building in it.

Fire Marshalls didn't like that, and capped the entrance number around 5,800. No more 7K crowds.

F Marshall(s)

Guest in the know

There was never a true count during the days when crowds were listed at 45,000 - it was BS. There were not numbers on the seats and the promotions people with the outside promoters listed the crowd over capacity for PR reasons. The seating capacity of the bowl was never more than 35,000, ever. When the field was raised up as the Astroturf was first laid in the lower bowl box seats were taken out. this cropped capacity by 4,000 seats to the 31,000 which is now listed.

Per the JAR the seating is numbered and space is set aside for each person. If you number the seats and make them 10 inches wide on the bleachers you can get more "capacity" than if you do not number the seats. Not many people have 10-inch asses - measure yours and tell me if I am wrong. Most peoples cans are a good 15 inches wide, which in terms of the bleachers reduces your capacity by 50% in a realistic setting. The 7,000 figure was something put out by a PR person who was trying

Guest Roo Poacher
There were not numbers on the seats and the promotions people with the outside promoters listed the crowd over capacity for PR reasons.

If anyone questions "In the Know", I am privy to the whereabouts of those same promoters. They can be found at the turnstiles at each home game at the Glass Bowl. :lol:

I would try and find something on you guys, but considering that no one really gives two flying f---- I probably would not have any luck.

Is this recent enough for you?

Player arrested for role in fight

September 2004

Defensive tackle Roger Garrett charged with malicious wounding

By ANTHONY HANSHEW - The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- Marshall football player Roger Garrett was arrested Tuesday and charged with a felony count of malicious wounding of Ohio State defensive end Redgie Arden, according to a Huntington police official.

The arrest is the first directly related to what Huntington police described as a large fight involving Arden on Aug. 22 across from Joan C. Edwards Stadium. Arden, a former Ironton High School standout, suffered a broken nose and other facial injuries in the ruckus.

The investigation is ongoing, but further arrests are not expected, said Capt. Steve Hall of the Huntington Police Department.

Garrett turned himself in, appeared before Cabell County Magistrate John Rice and was released on his own recognizance, Hall said. Garrett has a Sept. 16 pretrial hearing where he is expected to plead not guilty.

The 6-foot-1, 286-pound Garrett will not travel with the Thundering Herd football team for Saturday’s game at No. 9 Ohio State, according to Marshall football coach Bobby Pruett.

"Roger will not be available for the game Saturday," Pruett said. "We will let the judicial process run the course."

Garrett started last week’s season-opener against Troy and totaled three tackles. The sophomore defensive tackle from Moultrie, Ga., did not attend Tuesday afternoon’s practice.

Following the Aug. 22 fight, Marshall defensive end Jonathan Goddard was arrested after allegedly shoving a police officer who tried to pull him off a Huntington man. The Huntington man, William Green, was later arrested on drug and weapons charges.

Goddard pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor last week in Cabell County Magistrate Court.

Try reading about U of Akron football in the Akron Beacon Journal. That paper ranks the Zips lower than high school football. You need a magnifying glass to find anything about Zips football.

Try reading about U of Akron football in the Akron Beacon Journal. That paper ranks the Zips lower than high school football. You need a magnifying glass to find anything about Zips football.

The fact that you both read and reference the Beacon Journal speaks volumes. Can you reference Curious George, or perhaps Dick and Jane literature next time? :lol:

HOLY $#!T.

DID ANYONE EVER NOTICE THIS :unsure: Thanks GoMU, nobody here ever bothered to look at the local paper that is about 1 block from campus! :thumb: We never noticed that Akron and Can't get AP articles about their games while the local paper, 1 block from campus, sends reporters to the OSU games. We've never noticed that the Akron beat reporter can't even figure out how many games in a row the Zips have won. We didn't even notice that 4 months after LO was fired how they kept talking about how great a guy he was. Finally, we never noticed when the local paper, 1 block from campus, gets scooped by the Cleveland media that fails to recognize that other DI-A football teams even exist in the state other than OSU. :rolleyes:

Nice research! I think there is a job for you at the Stinkin' Urinal!

IDIOT :puke:

Guest the herd rep.

its funny, schools like cryami and others are counting down til we leave the conference. ironic, because when we leave the MAC so does almost all of the leagues credibility. No offense intended to the few good schools sticking around, BG, Toleo, No.Ill.

That paper ranks the Zips lower than high school football. You need a magnifying glass to find anything about Zips football.

You could use that same magnifying glass to find people in the stands.

When informed Marshall comong to Akron, the local newspaper headline read.

"Inbreeding Coming to Akron"

Hey Marshall football players. Are you still feeling tough because you could beat up someone 20 on one?

The amazing thing is that Marshall talks how great they are, and how bad Akron is.

But hasn't Akron won 2 of the last 3 against the Turds?

Go back to your sister/mom/aunt/ oh, they are all the same to you guys in WVA.

• 14 years later...

True story about the Marshall-Akron relationship: The day after the MU team was killed in the plane crash in November 1970, Akron AD Gordon Larson called Ohio University AD Bill Rohr to suggest that the Zips fill the sudden opening in Ohio's schedule the following Saturday. Akron President Dominic Guzzetta told an Akron Beacon Journal reporter that the game would serve two purposes: 1.) honor the loss of the Marshall team and 2.) demonstrate the Zips' ability to compete with MAC programs.

Ohio and the MAC presidents immediately rejected the idea as being in horrifically poor taste.  Some longtime league officials claimed it caused the MAC to ignore Akron as a potential league member for many years.

• Like 1