10 Minutes of Rambling Thoughts

Captain Kangaroo

QB: Would you take CJ11 over Luke Getsy? It is an interesting question. Luke got a shot with the 49ers because he's a pretty decent QB. But he took a lot of unnecessary sacks. Any he had a penchant for tossing the ball away too soon. Or, simply flipping it in the air to avoid the sack...and getting a grounding penalty.CJ11 looks better and better every game. It is unfair to compare him stat-for-stat against Luke, because he's playing his first few games of football since 2004 @ Mentor HS. Conversely, Luke was a 5th year senior last season. Unless the last couple games are flukes, CJ11 seems to be progressing as well as can be expected...maybe better? He moved the team well at UConn, and moved it VERY well at WMU. The more games he gets under his belt, the more the coaching staff seems to be letting him make plays. CJ7? Unless CJ11 regresses for some reason, I don't see him getting back into the mix.RB: It is no coincidence that the emergence of Bryan Williams has coincided with CJ11's improved play. Having a game-breaking threat at RB makes a QB's life a lot easier. Williams/Allen is a HUGE upgrade over last year's RB corp. Alex Allen is probably going to be like Nick Dials in hoops...getting better and more comfortable every game.WR: Screw it...throw it to "The Man" every play until someone proves they can stop him. The Man has more than made up for David Harvey's departure. Al Owen seems to be getting into the mix, which will only help. At worst, it is a wash thus far when comparing WR production of 2006 to 2007. My gut feeling is a new #2 WR is going to emerge vs. Temple. Wait and see.TE: Invisible. Same as 2006.OL: Can you believe they're collectively playing better than last season's veteran OL? Seems like JD's OL recruiting, and the OL coaching, have been stellar? The spread offense seems to be a big help to our OL. Kicker: Igor is 8-10. He's missed only 1 PAT. It almost makes me want to cry.Punter: I think Stec has improved a bit from 2006, but he still has a ways to go to be All-MAC caliber.KO Returns: David Harvey who? Bryan Williams is averaging 35.2 y/return.Punt Returns: David Harvey who? Andre Jones is averaging 20.2 y/return.D-Line: Thus far, a "wash" when comparing 2006/2007. LB: A "wash" when comparing 2006/2007. Stokes is having a great senior season. Secondary: I think they're playing a little better than last season. The performance has slipped the past few games, but Tate/Jones/Corner will be fine. They've just been dog-tired. As the offense keeps improving, the better-rested secondary will play with a lot more consistency.Overall: I like this (2007) team's upside, and weekly improvements. If we can put together a strong effort against Temple this weekend, I'll feel very confident we can win the MAC East. Temple is dangerous...they played UConn a hell of a lot tougher than we did. And they beat NIU last week, so they'll be confident. But is we stay aggressive on the offensive side of the ball, we win:Zips 38Temple 20Then a bye-week! My liver can use the break. :CK_brew:

Great post CK!Two additional thoughts. The OL had better players last year, but this year we have a better unit because......First, fewer penalties are helping the OL a great deal. They are in fewer second/third and longs this year. Coaching has a lot to do with reductions in penalties. Also, the OL has moved away from a zone blocking scheme to a more point of attack blocking. Kennedy is more of a zone blocking RB like Hart at Michigan which explains why he is no longer starting. He is still talented and will contribute, but not as a starter. This blocking is allowing them to double team more and hide lesser talent. It's quite smart on the part of the coaching staff.Secondly, a little love for the coaching thus far? For the fourth year in a row, we have won a game in the last seconds. We need to give JD at least some props for fielding a team with a tougher mental attitude than we have ever seen in the past. In addition, JD has adapted to the talent level on the team offensively and seems to be doing well with it. A lot of coaches would not have had the balls to bench Kennedy or CJ7. JD has also drastically changed the offensive plays and schemes this year. Slowly JD is turning this program away from a laughing stock to one that is more competitive year in and year out than ever before. As much as I hate out 3-3-5 defense, 3-3 is about what I expected so they must be doing something right. Those out there that think JD is nothing more than a salesman can't possibly be watching the games. I only get to watch them on TV and it is obvious this team and program is moving in the proper direction.Lastly, I don't mind the Nick Dials comparison as long as BW does not pout everytime something goes against him.

Who said DK is benched? Did I miss that? I thought that he still hasn't totally recovered from the injury and surgery to his shoulder and that on top of that Williams and Allen have really stepped it up. I have also heard that Allen isn't really 100% either. Imagine when he is!!!! Maybe you're just saying he's benched as in not getting much playing time. I certainly haven't heard of any disciplinary measures. I think we can't have too many offensive threats. CJ7 could be thrown in there at any time due to injury or poor play. Our backs also need to be ready for any injury. I think we've seen how hard it is to suddenly have to replace a key player with one who has little or no experience as in the case of Mackey. When we're winning I hope to see lots of substituting. Maybe it will keep the guys on their toes and working as hard as they can to keep their position. It also helps to get a few guys a little experience for next year because we've also seen that some guys don't make it back (Harvey).

1) I'm not sure at this point that anyone can say that ANY QB we have on our roster has amounted to a good replacement for Luke Getsy. It's WAY too premature to even speculate on that. 2) Sure, Jabari's performance this year seems like a good replacement for Harvey's production. But, wouldn't we rather have them both?3) Running game. Better than last year. And deeper.4) I was dissappointed with our OL last year, especially towards the end of the year, when Luke was running for his life and we couldn't run either. I can only HOPE that this unit develops into a better line.5) Kiki and Jermaine certainly gave us a better defensive line than we have now. Hands down.6) This current LB group should be better. It's basically the same guys with one more year of experience. 7) DB's?? Same as #6. But Mackey's loss hurts.8) PLEASANTLY SURPRISED with the better special teams play.