J.D. -

a-zip

you are right big zip Jac is the better of the two QB's I thought CJ was a better option but he looks lost out there. He'll need to move to a scat back roll next year but that isn't a bad thing. I am still not sold on Jac but he played a very good game. It's those 2-3 trows a game when everyone is yelling don't throw it!!! and he does that worries me. With coach, I was pumped to see him so pumped on the sideline and it reflected in play on the field. looking forward to WED :screwks:

My thoughts on JD and next year . . This was supposed to be the year to contend, when hired JD said year 4 was what they were pointing to. With the low player retention rates from 05 and 06 classes, I am pointing to 2009. Quite frankly, I don't expect more than 500 next season. We will still have a lot of young guys playing on the 2 deep, we still have to find a QB, and we will still have 5 home games. I like JD and want to seem him succeed but I like Akron more and want them to succeed. I hope and expect that he still gets 2 more years and look for big things in 2009. If it doesn't happen at that point, then I can see things happening.What I do like about this year.1. JD has shown the ability to admit mistakes and change what he is doing be it giving up the OC job or changing recruiting strategy, or bringing in a shrink. This past class was still top ranked and all but Vince Hill I believe are still there. 2. The OLine has really come together. They move well and have the chance to be dominant.3. The RBs were a big upgrade this year.4. Igor has solidified the kicking game.5. For as much as we have lost players, no one except Igor got into any trouble with the law. I would have a lot more issues if we were bringing kids in who beat up their girlfriends, had DUIs, or whatever.6. I don't see the team quitting. I was at BG and what I saw on the sidelines was frustration, and the most piss poor out of position team in a long time, not guys laughing like at Toledo last year.What I would like to see more of1. More sense of urgency from JD shown in the Ohio game. He is not a yeller and does not have to be, but I believe that he outwardly showed more energy than transitioned to the team.2. Seems like upgrading the student support is some low hanging fruit for a big win. The athletic budget is 15M. Spending an extra 300K per year on a support system is only 2% of the budget. It seems like that would be sufficient to going a long way to helping the kids out who need that help.3. More money for the assistants would be nice but that would take a lot more money than #2. An extra 10-15K per coach isn't much if someone bigger comes calling and they need to build resumes. JD is the 5th highest paid coach in the MAC. I hope that the assistants are 5th as well when compared to others in the league.4. More adjustments throughout the game. Moorhead was very rocky early on, hopefully he finishes strong. On defense, sometimes we look good, sometimes we look horrible. There has been a lot of discussion on the 3-3-5. I am not as smart as many of you who talk about it just find something that works.What I look for next year.1. Personal wise, I have seen enough of CJ7 to know he is not the answer at QB. Thinking back to when Butchie was installed as the starting QB his FR year vs Ohio. He had a lot of rough spots but still played like a QB. CJ7 looked like a high school QB in the BG game. If CJ7's mechanics are this bad now, how much better can they get? My hope is Rodgers gets the nod next year. For one that means he is an upgrade from CJ7 and CJ11. Two, I look to him to be the leader that we need on offense. QBs getting suspended just irks me to no end. If Rodgers has the potential to be the long term guy, go with him so in 09 he is ready to lead the team to a big season. One good JUCO receiver and good QB play, and the offense can be really good next year.2. How good is Ryan Bain? Sizewise he looks dominant. By having 1 dominant guy down low with a pretty good player in Mondo and Oferin on the sides, this would help offset the loss of the LBs and secondary. Too bad Al Teriq did not make grades, he would have gotten some valuable playing time this year. But pinning all of my hopes on Ryan Bain like I did with Nate Robinson makes me very nervous about our D next year.What still confuses me.1. The MAC is down from what it was 5 years ago at the top tier level, but the bottom tier is way better than 5 years ago. Why is everyone the same? I figured with the new facilities, we would have a 2-3 year jump on everyone else and just dominate with talent. Instead, everyone has pretty much the same talent. I go back to 2005, we win the MAC title with mediocre talent, I thought JD was the greatest coach ever. I thought look, a team that does not beat itself, that makes the big plays when needed and JD outcoaches everyone else. Going into 2006 we are seen as the favorites with as good or better talent. We fall on our face, OU becomes the Akron of 2006 The common theme is Frank Solich is a genius, look a team with minimal talent that doesn't beat themselves and Solich outcoaches in the close games, what discipline. Fast foward to 2007, OU falls on their face and now we hear, look at Buffalo, Turner Gill is amazing. Look what he has done at Buffalo, they win with less. What I see is a bunch of even teams where 1 tends to make more plays for a few games but can't sustain it. How do we get to the point where our talent level just rises above everyone else besides doubling the budget?Here is hoping that we finish strong.

My thoughts on JD and next year . . This was supposed to be the year to contend, when hired JD said year 4 was what they were pointing to. With the low player retention rates from 05 and 06 classes, I am pointing to 2009. Quite frankly, I don't expect more than 500 next season. We will still have a lot of young guys playing on the 2 deep, we still have to find a QB, and we will still have 5 home games. I like JD and want to seem him succeed but I like Akron more and want them to succeed. I hope and expect that he still gets 2 more years and look for big things in 2009. If it doesn't happen at that point, then I can see things happening.What I do like about this year.1. JD has shown the ability to admit mistakes and change what he is doing be it giving up the OC job or changing recruiting strategy, or bringing in a shrink. This past class was still top ranked and all but Vince Hill I believe are still there. 2. The OLine has really come together. They move well and have the chance to be dominant.3. The RBs were a big upgrade this year.4. Igor has solidified the kicking game.5. For as much as we have lost players, no one except Igor got into any trouble with the law. I would have a lot more issues if we were bringing kids in who beat up their girlfriends, had DUIs, or whatever.6. I don't see the team quitting. I was at BG and what I saw on the sidelines was frustration, and the most piss poor out of position team in a long time, not guys laughing like at Toledo last year.What I would like to see more of1. More sense of urgency from JD shown in the Ohio game. He is not a yeller and does not have to be, but I believe that he outwardly showed more energy than transitioned to the team.2. Seems like upgrading the student support is some low hanging fruit for a big win. The athletic budget is 15M. Spending an extra 300K per year on a support system is only 2% of the budget. It seems like that would be sufficient to going a long way to helping the kids out who need that help.3. More money for the assistants would be nice but that would take a lot more money than #2. An extra 10-15K per coach isn't much if someone bigger comes calling and they need to build resumes. JD is the 5th highest paid coach in the MAC. I hope that the assistants are 5th as well when compared to others in the league.4. More adjustments throughout the game. Moorhead was very rocky early on, hopefully he finishes strong. On defense, sometimes we look good, sometimes we look horrible. There has been a lot of discussion on the 3-3-5. I am not as smart as many of you who talk about it just find something that works.What I look for next year.1. Personal wise, I have seen enough of CJ7 to know he is not the answer at QB. Thinking back to when Butchie was installed as the starting QB his FR year vs Ohio. He had a lot of rough spots but still played like a QB. CJ7 looked like a high school QB in the BG game. If CJ7's mechanics are this bad now, how much better can they get? My hope is Rodgers gets the nod next year. For one that means he is an upgrade from CJ7 and CJ11. Two, I look to him to be the leader that we need on offense. QBs getting suspended just irks me to no end. If Rodgers has the potential to be the long term guy, go with him so in 09 he is ready to lead the team to a big season. One good JUCO receiver and good QB play, and the offense can be really good next year.2. How good is Ryan Bain? Sizewise he looks dominant. By having 1 dominant guy down low with a pretty good player in Mondo and Oferin on the sides, this would help offset the loss of the LBs and secondary. Too bad Al Teriq did not make grades, he would have gotten some valuable playing time this year. But pinning all of my hopes on Ryan Bain like I did with Nate Robinson makes me very nervous about our D next year.What still confuses me.1. The MAC is down from what it was 5 years ago at the top tier level, but the bottom tier is way better than 5 years ago. Why is everyone the same? I figured with the new facilities, we would have a 2-3 year jump on everyone else and just dominate with talent. Instead, everyone has pretty much the same talent. I go back to 2005, we win the MAC title with mediocre talent, I thought JD was the greatest coach ever. I thought look, a team that does not beat itself, that makes the big plays when needed and JD outcoaches everyone else. Going into 2006 we are seen as the favorites with as good or better talent. We fall on our face, OU becomes the Akron of 2006 The common theme is Frank Solich is a genius, look a team with minimal talent that doesn't beat themselves and Solich outcoaches in the close games, what discipline. Fast foward to 2007, OU falls on their face and now we hear, look at Buffalo, Turner Gill is amazing. Look what he has done at Buffalo, they win with less. What I see is a bunch of even teams where 1 tends to make more plays for a few games but can't sustain it. How do we get to the point where our talent level just rises above everyone else besides doubling the budget?Here is hoping that we finish strong.
:rolleyes: said it before... wait until 11-23-07 to start evaluating from Brookhart on down...he gets no pass this year...if the team takes a s..t the next 2 weeks there is NO reason to keep him...there is a confluence of events here that will NEVER happen agian...new stadium...evaluation of the current coaches...etc....if Proenza and Rhoades blow it now!!!!...who knows?

GP1 Would love to see some supporting data around pro football position coaches making that kind of money. The last I remember reading people were up in arms when Dan Snyder decided to pay his offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator $1 million each. Those are coordinator positions with a free spending coach. I do think the difference between the NFL and College coaching comes down to the atmosphere you want to be a part of and would love to see Mike Johnson return to his alma mater at some point. His knowledge and experience would certainly play well with young impressionable college age kids.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr..._their_efforts/If anything, GP1's estimation was too low.Average OL coach in the NFL in 2005 made $329,000. The Falcons OL coach that year made $1,000,000. JD could leave Akron, go be an assistant in the NFL, and almost double what his yearly income is.

• 10 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2007 at 10:30 PM, flipthezip said:

And let me be the first to throw out the name of Bobby Johnson. Currently he is at Indiana as OL coach and running game coordinator. He is from Akron - Hoban. Played in the MAC at Miami and coached there (Cradle of Coaches). GA at Akron. Wife is also from Akron.

Per Joe Dunn, Bobby Johnson interviewed for the Raider job.