Could KC Be At Bat?

Captain Kangaroo

With one game remaining in the 2007 Zips football season, it is officially time to begin looking at the future of the Zips QB position. If JD has an “impact” QB in the offing, it will go a long way in assuring he’s the guy manning the sidelines when the Zips take on Kentucky in September 2009. Can Jacquemain or Carlton Jackson pilot the team in 2008? Ummm…no. Jacquemain lacks the intangibles…decent are strength, but no pocket awareness or field vision. Jackson defaults to the run WAY too soon. His mid-range throws are soft and inaccurate, and he handles the football as deftly as Lindsay Lohan handles her car keys at 3:30am.I think a lot will be written about Matt Rogers over the next several months. He’s the odds-on favorite to win the QB battle this summer. We’ll also probably learn a lot more about incoming Freshman Jordan Miller. An interesting “wildcard” in the QB derby is KC Patterson. Patterson quietly appeared on the Stiles Center doorstep in August 2007. A transfer from Sacramento State (although he never played a down for the Hornets) he has an interesting story…and a punchers chance of being in the QB mix this spring.KC Patterson was a Rivals 2-star QB out of Oakmont High School in Roseville California, and was rated one of the Top30 QB’s in the state in 2004. Going into his senior season he had recruiting interest from BYU, California, Colorado, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Washington State. Half way through his senior season, and sporting a 5-0 record, Oakmont lost 9 senior players for the season due to some undisclosed disciplinary issue. Oakmont subsequently lost their next 4 games. Their final game of the season was canceled due to smoke from wild fires. Likewise, lacking any appreciable stats, KC’s D-1 QB offers also went up in smoke.Patterson ultimately landed at The University of San Diego, coached by present Stanford HC Jim Harbaugh. An excellent student, he graduated high school early, and played in 5 games for the Toreros in 2005. That year San Diego, a non-scholarship program, won the mid-major 1-AA national championship.When Harbaugh left for Stanford in 2006, KC transferred to Sacramento State where he red shirted during the 2006 season. A coaching change in 2007 was the impetus for KC’s transfer to Akron this past summer. Interestingly, it appears as though he is/was eligible to play this season, with 2008 being considered his Junior year?It will be interesting to see the fresh faces at the QB position this spring. And in the short term, to see if KC gets a few snaps this week vs. CMU -- He’s eligible to play…and I’m desperate. If he can look off Jabari once in a while…or handle the ball on consecutive plays without fumbling, he’s at least worth a look.

And exactly how can he do any worse than we've seen recently??? Unless he has shown the coaches something this fall that absolutely says "Keep this guy on the bench," I agree that he's worth a look this week against CMU. I've seen enough of both CJ7 and CJ11 to NOT want to see any more this year and beyond. I'll be planted in the Rubber Bowl for 4 quarters this Friday and would love to see the coaches go another direction for the finale.

There really is nothing left to play for this season, except to send the seniors out on a good note. Like both of you have said, He can't be any worse than what we have already seen, so why not? He was getting ready to go in against Bowling Green since CJ11 was "suspended" for an entire half-game. He is eligible, but I think it has to do with player loyalty. JD wanted HIS recruits that he hand-picked from high-school, not a transfer that he accepted. Then again, why would he accept another QB unless he had doubts about all four of the other ones (CJ11 just plain bad, CJ7 runs too much and fumbles, Hakes couldn't even compete with CJ11 or CJ7, Rodgers was too young but should develop)?

:( Whether its KC, CJ11, CJ7 there is WAY too much uncertainty for next year to be any good. Ya ain't gonna win with QB who has never taken a D-1 college snap! And unless one of the CJ's miraculously transforms between now nad next September,that position is the 500# gorilla in the room...sure would like him to be your friend,but ya just don't know...lots of losses on the D side mean lots of holes there too...wait until when?!

Joe Dunn said tonight that he has to sit out this year. He is a transfer and won't be eligible until next season. I vote for putting Jabarri back there.
I'm told he is eligible. He is a transfer, but he received a waiver from the NCAA. Since I saw him on the sidelines, dressed at some away games, that would mean he is eligible. An ineligible player is not allowed to dress (that's why you see transfers like Ryan Bain and Jeremy Bruce in street clothes in the stands rather than dressed on the field).Joe Dunn was also pretty adamant the other night that Alex Allen would be a senior next year (he'll be a junior). Maybe Joe is finally showing his age? ;)

no way. absoutley no way. i have watched a couple of practices and this kid is terrible. he has no chance of ever playing here at akron. please close this topic.
i've watched both cj's in a couple of games and those kids are terrible. they should have no chance of ever playing at akron, but unfortunately offensive guru jd brookhart has no idea how to recruit. please leave the evaluation of talent to the men on this board who have played the game sweetheart.