Future of Zips Soccer

I definitely would like to have gone further in the tourney this year but our future looks bright. One thing that stood out to me looking at the All-Great Lakes team is that there were only 3 Freshman on the teams, 9 seniors on the first team will be leaving other schools.http://www.gozips.com/downloads1/30399.pdf...amp;SPSID=47176Of the 3 freshman, two were ours, Steve Zakuan(1st team) and Anthony Ampaip(2nd team). We had a top 5 NATIONALLY ranked recruiting class and return an experienced goalkeeper. Hopefully we keep the momentum going but I think we have a realistic shot at a national title during the next 3 years.Question - why don't we build the soccer stadium now to be completed for next year? I think it was approved and we do not have all the issues with acquiring land.http://www.osborn-eng.com/sports_akron.html

To my understanding the budgeting for the new soccer stadium is not yet complete. Another equally challenging issue is that the footprint for the soccer stadium calls for it to be moved 50+ feet closer to the student center. One side of the stadium, the side w/o stands, will abutt up against the new outdoor living room. If you haven't seen it, you really owe it to yourself to look up the plans. The outdoor living room will be 4.6 acres of gorgeous scenery. It will feature trees, a fountain, waterfalls, an amphitheater, bricked in walkways, benches, and beautiful lanscaping with unique designs. Once Carroll and Memorial Halls are removed, to be replaced by one building, the outdoor living room will make a wonderful pedestrian entry to the south of Buchtel Hall and the heart of campus.While I don't think we will see the new stadium until 2010, it will be worth the wait. Then we must begin to fill its 4,000-5,000 seats. Caleb will give us a great team to cheer on there. Even then, one thing will be constant :screwks:

I don't know what changes have transpired in the past six months, but I got word before the season from the top that the stadium would be in-place for the start of the '08 season. It would be nice to know -- and to hear in advance who will be in the Westfield tournament, so I can make travel plans.

I know Football is supposed to make money, but I think a new soccer stadum would be just as high on the list. I'm not a big soccer fan, but we've got a hell of a tradition and a team and with all the kids playing soccer these days, it could be HUGE in the future. I just wish we could make it deep into the tourney!