Miami / Akron Review

I think we've blown out some cupcakes more impressively within the past 23 years, but that was the biggest a$$-whuppin' of a quality team I've ever seen the Zips lay down.

This performance had to rate a solid "10" from even the surliest curmudgeon on the board.

A full 40-minute offensive and defensive clinic. McNees' shooting exhibition harkened back to Jimal Ball vs. Xavier. Maybe Anthony Buford vs. Pitt? But the difference we won this game. In the past, outstanding shooting performances in big games typically allowed the Zips to stay in the hunt. This time it allowed us to wipe somebody out.

It is only one game, and the first of a long MAC grind...but to destroy the RedHawks with Linhart going 1-8 and Ced going 2-9 bodes very well for the remainder of the conference schedule. No one can match our depth.

Were the RedHawks beaten down by the grind of their pre-conference schedule? I doubt it. They had plenty of rest going into last night's game. They just got whupped...simple as that.

Does Jeremiah Wood move ahead of Politz in the MAC POTY race? I think so. Hell...with the defensive performance I saw last night, Dials should move ahead of him too. It reminded me of Jimal Ball vs. Earl Boykins several years ago.

Listening to McNees after the game, you can see why he's capable of going on such a scoring tear. He's confident, without being cocky. If the shot is there, he's taking it. In an instant...no hesitation. And unlike the aforementioned Jimal Ball, McNees' shots snap the bottom of the twine. We all waited 3 1/2 more years for Jimal to have another offensive game like the one vs. Xavier. And it never came. McNees seems to be destined for a few more big offensive nights before his career is complete.

My Player of the Game: The girl on the unicycle. I thought it was impossible for anyone to follow up McNees' 1st half performance. But flipping 15 bowls on her head with her foot, while pedalling a unicycle with the other foot...probably the best halftime exhibition I've seen is 23 years too.

It was a great night to kick Miami's a$$. KD's team came through with a entertaining, thrilling performance in front of a great crowd. Key recruits were on hand. The halftime show ruled. Who could have left that game not looking at their pocket schedules to check out the next home game date? I think the bandwagon will be starting up a few weeks earlier this season. Get your tickets now. :cheers:

100% agree Capt. all i have to say about the game yesterday was WOW. Can't say I've personally heard a louder audience for a non Can't game. like Capt. said, get your tickets now! a little nit picking here, but should have seen some ad's around the JAR and on the PA about the 4 pack they have been pushing all year. :screwks:

Great win and all but our season will be defined on how we do on the road. The reason I am saying this is because the road in the MAC will be more brutal than ever. Student sections will surely try to rub last year's tournament finish in our face, and so our guys will have to be mentally tough. Also, we live and die with the three. Other than Wood, we need some help inside. We will not shoot as hot as we did on the road. Can we overcome what awaits us?

How did the Rowdies section look/sound? Loud and full, or half empty as usual?
I thought it was a good showing by the Rowdies. The south section was full (I can't see the north from where I sit). The Rowdies had Rally Towels going which I thought was a nice touch (and finally a decent disctraction to the opponent's free-throw shooters).

Charlie Coles made my night with this quote: “McNees, wow. No mercy. The thing I hold against him — and I’m mad at him — we didn’t beat him last year. What does he have to be mad at? He was red-shirting! His baskets should be stricken from the game.”Oh and McNees is now known as McNash in my book, I always thought he kind of looked like him, and maybe thought he was Steve Nash... but with that performance, I've accepted it, even if Rasor wants to call him McThrees.

Charlie Coles made my night with this quote: “McNees, wow. No mercy. The thing I hold against him — and I’m mad at him — we didn’t beat him last year. What does he have to be mad at? He was red-shirting! His baskets should be stricken from the game.”Oh and McNees is now known as McNash in my book, I always thought he kind of looked like him, and maybe thought he was Steve Nash... but with that performance, I've accepted it, even if Rasor wants to call him McThrees.
If he continues to play like Saturday, we can call him McMVP.....

If he continues to play like Saturday, we can call him McMVP.....
We probably would, if Nate Linhart didn't already have the MVP title locked up. Nate has earned it, though, after shutting down the best players on each team we face. If you noticed, every team we played had their top player off their game, forcing them to rely on others. Nate is a big part of that.

We probably would, if Nate Linhart didn't already have the MVP title locked up.
Thanks for checking in, Mr. Linhart! ;) Nate goes down, it hurts...but we would survive. Wood goes down...we're screwed. Dials has been a "rock" this year too. Those are our two MVP's thus far, keeping in mind that about 8 other guys are making significant contributions every night too.

The question I have now with McNees is what exactley do you do with him???Is it too early to consider inserting him at the starting PG position? Doing so would allow Dials to move back to his more natural 2 guard spot and Cedrick could come off the bench again to be that sparkplug. It seems Cedrick has struggled at times this year in the starting lineup, so maybe the move back to 6th man would benefit him. But do you trust a redshirt freshman with minimal experience to run the point through conference play after just one big game? Or do you keep him coming off the bench and make him into that 6th man that Cedrick was last year? I have to say though. I love seeing all the depth this team has. If I were KD I wouldn't be complaining at all about trying to find playing time for all these guys. It's a nice problem to have.