ESPN Bubble Watch (1/17/08 version)

w00t

Clicky for Bubble WatchChances are slim to none that we make the NCAA Tournament without three wins at The Q, but the headline on the first Bubble Watch ("More At-Large Spots Available Than Deserving Teams?) at least leaves the possibility open...
Work left to do:South Alabama [13-3 (7-0), RPI: 27, SOS: 91] The Jaguars remained perfect in the Sun Belt and have a very solid computer profile for a team in a modest conference. The three losses are at Ole Miss by three, at Vandy by three in 2OT and by five to Miami (Ohio) in Anaheim. The best nonleague win is at home over Mississippi State, which is looking better and better. Head coach Ronnie Arrow went to the NCAAs last season with TAMU-CC. Can he double up with Team USA?Illinois State [13-4 (6-1), RPI: 34, SOS: 69] Still unbeaten in the Valley and with a chance against Drake this weekend to grab the conference lead. The Redbirds don't have quite the paper profile of Drake but they remain solidly in the at-large mix. The best nonconference win is over Cincinnati.Ohio [11-6 (2-2), RPI: 36, SOS: 47] A tough one-point loss at Akron really puts at-large hopes on the back burner for now with a 1-2 league start. The Bobcats did beat Maryland and Saint John's on the road as part of a huge slate of nonconference away games, but they probably have too many losses to overcome. Honestly, the Zips probably have a more reasonable claim at this point given their 3-0 league start, but the nonconference schedule was so bad that a win at Can't State next week probably is needed to make the watch. Creighton [13-3 (5-2), RPI: 41, SOS: 150] The Bluejays have won four straight MVC games after a surprising 0-2 start and remain in decent shape, despite being two games behind co-leaders Drake and Illinois State. Wins over DePaul, Nebraska and Saint Joe's are nice, but the Bluejays probably need a top-two finish in the Valley.Can't State [14-4 (3-1), RPI: 44, SOS: 149] Can't beat Bowling Green and then won at Miami (Ohio) to continue to do what it has to, to make a legit at-large case. The next two -- at Ohio and then home to Akron -- are big. Wins over Illinois State and George Mason could come in handy in head-to-head bubble comparisons.Cleveland State [12-5 (7-0), RPI: 49, SOS: 67] Their old logo may have looked like a cross between Kazoo and a ticked-off lima bean, but CSU's 6-0 Horizon start is no laughing matter. The new-look Vikings have won at Wright State and just dumped Butler on Thursday night to take early control of the conference. If they can beat Valpo at home on Saturday, look out. They beat South Florida and Florida State in nonleague play, but also lost to George Mason, Georgia Southern, CSUN, Ohio State and Can't State. After the Valpo game, the Vikings have a four-game road trip, but none of those are at Butler or Valpo. Those come back-to-back Valentine's Day week.

5 games stick out in my mind that could make a difference: 1) BOTH Can't games- I think they are good and earning some respect that we don't have a whole lot of so we could turn some heads if we sweep them in the regular season2) At Ohio- They have a great inside game and the NCAA knows it plus a sweep would be nice.3) At Miami- They've knocked off some teams and therefore would be a great sweep this year too.4) The Bracketbuster- Who knows who we'll get, but think of the mid-majors out there that we could get. I know the NCAA doesn't really look at many mid-majors, but there are some great ones out there this year that could come to our place (for once) and that we could knock off. All I'm saying is that we still have some big games left before we start talking about NCAA bids and all that. Come on Zips no let downs at Can't!!!!!!!!

5 games stick out in my mind that could make a difference: 1) BOTH Can't games- I think they are good and earning some respect that we don't have a whole lot of so we could turn some heads if we sweep them in the regular season2) At Ohio- They have a great inside game and the NCAA knows it plus a sweep would be nice.3) At Miami- They've knocked off some teams and therefore would be a great sweep this year too.4) The Bracketbuster- Who knows who we'll get, but think of the mid-majors out there that we could get. I know the NCAA doesn't really look at many mid-majors, but there are some great ones out there this year that could come to our place (for once) and that we could knock off. All I'm saying is that we still have some big games left before we start talking about NCAA bids and all that. Come on Zips no let downs at Can't!!!!!!!!
3 games that stick out in my mind:1) Thursday night at the Q2) Friday night at the Q3) Saturday night at the Q

3 games that stick out in my mind:1) Thursday night at the Q2) Friday night at the Q3) Saturday night at the Q
lol trueyou can't expect the committees to be fair. They have more than proven that they are not.You just have to win your tourney.