Wisconsin Game Still On?

zff

I know there was some debate if this game was still going to be played. Well an article in yesterday Wisconsin State Journal says game on.Here is part of the story:The Badgers were actually juggling three dates, after Akron, which opens the season at UW Aug. 30, tried to get out of that game."They basically told us they weren't going to play us at one point," Bielema said.Akron ended up with more contracts for games than open dates, Bielema said, although the situation was resolved and that game was kept.http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/273850

I hope the Wisky game's not back on. Though I am growing weary and bored of seeing Army on the schedule every year, I do like the idea of scheduling Cincy & Syracuse level opponents. I really think it would be wise to take additional smaller-steps like those (Cincy & 'Cuse) to build up the competitive/winning culture of our program more before taking on the upper-echelon, elite BCS schools. I say take on anyone from the ACC (excluding Miami) and anyone from the Big East (I'd be all for scheduling as many Big East opponents as possible!). IMO, stear completely away from the SEC (except for Kentucky and Vanderbilt). And as far as the Big 10 goes, I say schedule Northwestern, Michigan State, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois & Purdue, but steer clear of Wisky, Michigan, Iowa, OSU & Penn State.Additionally, to build a winning culture on the team, I'm for scheduling a I-AA opponent every year to start the season. A lot of teams do that! A lot of elite BCS schools do that! Since there are no scrimmages allowed in college ball (?!) I think it's a good idea! Get a win under your belt right off the bat. Experiment w/ the playbook. See what gametime talent you've got on the field. Do our fans a favor by taking advantage of the nice weather of early September. And bring in some nice, marketable opponents. Some great I-AA draws could be Youngstown State (why not have a rivalry w/ them - for the sake of attendance we need as many rivalry games as possible), UMass, Rhode Island, Delaware, Appalachian State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Missouri State. I think all those schools would make for marketable games. And most importantly - WINNABLE.

I hope the Wisky game's not back on. Though I am growing weary and bored of seeing Army on the schedule every year, I do like the idea of scheduling Cincy & Syracuse level opponents. I really think it would be wise to take additional smaller-steps like those (Cincy & 'Cuse) to build up the competitive/winning culture of our program more before taking on the upper-echelon, elite BCS schools. I say take on anyone from the ACC (excluding Miami) and anyone from the Big East (I'd be all for scheduling as many Big East opponents as possible!). IMO, stear completely away from the SEC (except for Kentucky and Vanderbilt). And as far as the Big 10 goes, I say schedule Northwestern, Michigan State, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois & Purdue, but steer clear of Wisky, Michigan, Iowa, OSU & Penn State.Additionally, to build a winning culture on the team, I'm for scheduling a I-AA opponent every year to start the season. A lot of teams do that! A lot of elite BCS schools do that! Since there are no scrimmages allowed in college ball (?!) I think it's a good idea! Get a win under your belt right off the bat. Experiment w/ the playbook. See what gametime talent you've got on the field. Do our fans a favor by taking advantage of the nice weather of early September. And bring in some nice, marketable opponents. Some great I-AA draws could be Youngstown State (why not have a rivalry w/ them - for the sake of attendance we need as many rivalry games as possible), UMass, Rhode Island, Delaware, Appalachian State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Missouri State. I think all those schools would make for marketable games. And most importantly - WINNABLE.
somebody just opened the YSU can of worms....

Who says it's a can of worms? I'd rather play YSU at home and get a home game in before October than get beat up on the road against OSU any day.

Who says it's a can of worms? I'd rather play YSU at home and get a home game in before October than get beat up on the road against OSU any day.
Get Beat Up? Akron's defense made the suckeyes look not so hot last season. A real "quarterback" and the outcome of that game could have been a lot different, and no I'm not giving their defense any credit with that statement because Akron's performance at quarterback was lackluster at best all season long. While I'm on the OSU subject, I say stop letting them in the National Title game, they choked two years in a row, give someone else a chance!

I agree....why would we want to stears clear of the Suckeyes?? We lost to them by 18 and 14 points the last two times we've played them. And in both cases, we were still within one-play of taking the lead well into the 2nd half.They are the only top-level team that we are assured of getting on our schedule every 5 years or so, and they play close enough for our fans to travel. I'm just not seeing any negatives in playing them at this point.

I agree....why would we want to stears clear of the Suckeyes?? We lost to them by 18 and 14 points the last two times we've played them. And in both cases, we were still within one-play of taking the lead well into the 2nd half.They are the only top-level team that we are assured of getting on our schedule every 5 years or so, and they play close enough for our fans to travel. I'm just not seeing any negatives in playing them at this point.
:D lost by ONLY 2-3 touchdowns because Tressel calls off the dog!!s..if he really thrashed the MAC teams like he could, how many would play him? please..

Lee Adams...lame argument. It always has been.The Suckeyes beat Youngstown 38-6 the week before. Hard to call that "calling off the dogs" or "keeping it close so that MAC-level teams will schedule them again". Did you happen to catch the Can't score a few weeks later? Or the score of the game against Northern Ill. the year before? Give me a break. In case you weren't paying attention, OSU scored 3 points in the entire first half. So, you are saying that they "let" the score stay at 3-2, WELL INTO the 2nd half, because Tresel was "taking it easy on us"? And if that's the case, why were we so fortunate to be the only team that they so "gratiously permitted" to stay in the game with them?Did you notice that they were THROWING for first downs in the 4th quarter to try to get first downs to run the clock out? Did you also notice that two of our interceptions were on deep routes?? You can make that argument if OSU comes out and scores a few times early, and then starts running the ball and coasts the rest of the game, like they did in the other games. But, that's not what happened. And what about 2001? When we had the ball with a chance to tie the score in the 4th quarter? Do you believe that they were just being "kind" by coming so dangerously close to a loss??Please.

Lee Adams...lame argument. It always has been.The Suckeyes beat Youngstown 38-6 the week before. Hard to call that "calling off the dogs" or "keeping it close so that MAC-level teams will schedule them again". Did you happen to catch the Can't score a few weeks later? Or the score of the game against Northern Ill. the year before? Give me a break. In case you weren't paying attention, OSU scored 3 points in the entire first half. So, you are saying that they "let" the score stay at 3-2, WELL INTO the 2nd half, because Tresel was "taking it easy on us"? And if that's the case, why were we so fortunate to be the only team that they so "gratiously permitted" to stay in the game with them?Did you notice that they were THROWING for first downs in the 4th quarter to try to get first downs to run the clock out? Did you also notice that two of our interceptions were on deep routes?? You can make that argument if OSU comes out and scores a few times early, and then starts running the ball and coasts the rest of the game, like they did in the other games. But, that's not what happened. And what about 2001? When we had the ball with a chance to tie the score in the 4th quarter? Do you believe that they were just being "kind" by coming so dangerously close to a loss??Please.
the thing that constantly confuses me then is if the Zips are so good at OSU as you maintain...how come it rarely translates into them beating those high powered MAC teams WHEN IT COUNTS? or on the other side...how come OSU then manages to go on later in the season and beat all those teams which are clearly superior to the Zips (and most of the other MAC teams for that matter)...OK you believe what you want and we will agree to disagree so you don't get nasty again...

Lee....everyone on here can voice their opinion. That's what this board is for. But, it's just a lame argument to say that the Suckeyes "take it easy on us so that we continue to schedule them", when you see that they are tagging big-time blowouts on the other MAC-level teams that they've played in the last couple of years.

Lee....everyone on here can voice their opinion. That's what this board is for. But, it's just a lame argument to say that the Suckeyes "take it easy on us so that we continue to schedule them", when you see that they are tagging big-time blowouts on the other MAC-level teams that they've played in the last couple of years.
Now wait just a minute...one OSU fan on our board says it was the terrible weather that kept the OSU/Zips score close. Another OSU fan says it was Jim Tressel's benevolence. No which was it, OSU fans??!! Because we all know it couldn't have been that -- The Zips played their hearts out defensively, and John Stec had one of the NCAA's al-time greatest punting days."OSU Fan" is funny...even in a win, he needs to justify to himself some "noble" reason why OSU didn't cover the spread.

Captain....I do recall the "weather" argument as an excuse. And my response to that was the following...I read an article FROM A COLUMBUS SPORTSWRITER right after the game who said that, after it stopped raining (which was very briefly in the 1st quarter), the humidity got very high (we could feel it where we were sitting), and that the humidity actually took a lot out of a Zips team that was not as deep.So...who really benefitted from the weather??? According to at least one Columbus sportswriter, it was AKRON who was at a disadvantage because of the weather conditions. Beyond that, if I were a Suckeyes fan right now, I would be much more concerned about your conference rapidly nosediving in notoriety. And what truly has escalated that situation is the barnstorming from southern schools that has occured before a national tv audience the last two years in the championship game. For God's sake, both of those games were pretty much over at halftime.

I would be much more concerned about your conference rapidly nosediving in notoriety
Should the MAC be just as concerned about going 2-16 against them last year and then having its conference champion lose in a bowl game to one of their also-rans? The stones that get thrown at the Buckeyes and The Big Ten here on zipsnation are hilarious. "The Buckeyes suck, they actually needed ALL FOUR QUARTERS to put our awesome team away and only won by THREE POSSESSIONS, I mean for God's sake, they COULDN'T EVEN COVER A MEASLY 21-POINT SPREAD... I know our chances at playing in a bowl game were done somewhere around week four, but all they did was play in that crappy BCS TITLE GAME... The Big Ten sucks too, I mean can't they do better than winning 90% OF THE GAMES they play against our vaunted conference?"When you talk about how great of an accomplishment it is to still be in a game in the second half and only lose by 18 points, and how their conference losing two national title games in a row is something that's a cause for their concern, then even your jealousy and bitterness can't hide the compliment you've just paid them... not to mention you make us look really stupid in the process. Just stop for crying out loud, it's almost (but not quite) as embarrassing to read as our supposed die hards cheering for Can't (and one unnamed would-be skyscraper architect talking about wearing flushgear) in the name of "making the conference look good".

I know this is tough for Buckeye Fan to digest -- But this is not the forum to talk up OSU sports. Do it on Kenny Roda's show, do it on the myriad of internet sites. Write the Beacon or the PD. Do it with your buds over a pitcher of beer on Friday night. Don't do it on ZipsNation.org. ZipsNation is here explicitly for one reason -- To discuss Zips athletics. Period.If you are a Buckeye Fan and you want to talk-down the Zips on our site, we'll have problems. You come off like a VCU fan when you do that crap. Buckeye fan is SO used to getting his way that he can't accept this. Kinda like the spoiled rich kid that gets arrested and yells at the cops "YOU CAN'T ARREST ME!!! DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM!!??" Whatever. The rules are clear. Please abide by them.