Lousy Offense

Blue & Gold

Can someone out there w/ more basketball knowledge than I help me out? What kind of offense do we run? We don't seem to do ANYTHING but look to hoist up 3-pointers. IMHO that's not a quality offense. What was with that Dials 3 at the end there? I understand letting your athletes & shooters make plays, but I just don't really see any offensive strategy going on out on the floor. Kinda like coach Brown of the CAVS just giving the ball to LeBron at the end of games and seeing what happens. I understand letting your best players do what they do best, but that doesn't seem to require much coaching, per se.

Can someone out there w/ more basketball knowledge than I help me out? What kind of offense do we run? We don't seem to do ANYTHING but look to hoist up 3-pointers. IMHO that's not a quality offense. What was with that Dials 3 at the end there? I understand letting your athletes & shooters make plays, but I just don't really see any offensive strategy going on out on the floor. Kinda like coach Brown of the CAVS just giving the ball to LeBron at the end of games and seeing what happens. I understand letting your best players do what they do best, but that doesn't seem to require much coaching, per se.
I agree. Our offense looked like panic/desperation with more than 2 minutes left, hoisting up 3's when they weren't yet needed. Good game; it was fun to be there; just wish the Zips had more poise at crunch time. I had a friend of mine from work with me who went to Michigan. He enjoyed the game and was really into cheering for the Zips. He thought they looked to be in desperation mode too early as well.

I do not agree that Linhart should stop shooting. Keep in mind they are asking him to many times guard the other team's best shooter. Perhaps it is taking its toll. He just did not look relaxed when he them fly today. Perhaps he was rushing his shot.
I thought they were going to throw Goddard in to shoot some three's? What do you have to lose with that offense? Where was Conyers today? Never got in? We needed some offense maybe from the McKnights too, never got it.

Actually, Chris McKnight did one heck of a job on the boards today. And we needed it when Jeremiah was not on the floor. That kept us in the game.True, Nate's game is not scoring. I think he got hot for a period of time this year, but I don't believe he is the guy that we want shooting the ball. And now that Jeremiah is back, he should understand that there is less pressure on him to score offensively.I know a few people are wanting to jump at the opportunity to praise this Maynor guy. He played well when he had opportunities to penetrate. But, did anyone notice that HE TURNED THE BALL OVER 7 TIMES. We did one heck of a job guarding him out on the perimeter. That one guy's ability to block shots really played a key role today. Nick Dials....if nobody noticed......had ZERO turnovers today. Nice job.Gosh, sure was nice to see Jeremiah actually contribute. But, he had NO legs out there most of the game. Understandable. Anyone have a view on the no-call on the goaltending, or the double foul on Jeremiah in the paint near the end of the game that wasn't called? KD was biting his lip not to say anything in the postgame interview.

Actually, Chris McKnight did one heck of a job on the boards today. And we needed it when Jeremiah was not on the floor. That kept us in the game.True, Nate's game is not scoring. I think he got hot for a period of time this year, but I don't believe he is the guy that we want shooting the ball. And now that Jeremiah is back, he should understand that there is less pressure on him to score offensively.I know a few people are wanting to jump at the opportunity to praise this Maynor guy. He played well when he had opportunities to penetrate. But, did anyone notice that HE TURNED THE BALL OVER 7 TIMES. We did one heck of a job guarding him out on the perimeter. That one guy's ability to block shots really played a key role today. Nick Dials....if nobody noticed......had ZERO turnovers today. Nice job.Gosh, sure was nice to see Jeremiah actually contribute. But, he had NO legs out there most of the game. Understandable. Anyone have a view on the no-call on the goaltending, or the double foul on Jeremiah in the paint near the end of the game that wasn't called? KD was biting his lip not to say anything in the postgame interview.
I would rather see Dials commit 12 turnovers than take another shot like that at the end.No one's commented on it, but he had 2 guys on him, 10 seconds left, and put up a fade away 23 footer!!I'm almost positive we had a timeout left, use it and get something set up, or if you like your matchups on the floor, work and get a better shot, we had 10 more seconds!!!ugh.

zippy5...I wish I could agree with you. But coming from a coaching background, someone needs to take the 3-pointer with plenty of time on the clock in that situation so that you have time to get an offensive rebound and get another try, or foul and still get at least one more possession. If Nick keeps working to get someone else a shot at that point, instead of taking it himself, we run even more time off the clock, and may not get a better look...or...time for another possession.I'm sure everyone was covered on the perimeter at that point since they know we needed to shoot a 3-pointer.

There is nothing wrong with our offense, or our defense. Its nearly impossible to defeat a team with five excellent players on the floor backed up by two cheatingreferees. The refs are from the Colonial Athletic Association. They called the game in a manner consistent with making sure their team won. Simple as that.VCU is an excellent team. Without the officials help they lose by eight to ten points. They had the officials and it showed.I sit at the Akron end along the base line. One of numerous bad calls (let's be honest ... the official cheated) was the awarding of the basketball to VCU after it wentoff a VCU player's thigh out of bounds. The official knew it. He awarded the ball to VCU. Its a little thing. In officiating a lot of little things add up. It added up. Itwas cheating. It was unfair, dishonest, whatever you want to call it. It influenced the outcome of the game.It is not always the call an official makes, a lot of the time it is the call he does not make. No calls are an easy means to affect a game's outcome without exposingthe official. Nine blocked shots by a player who was not once flagged for a foul while making those blocks. Ahem. Right. Got it.The two officials left the floor smiling at the barbs being tossed at them. They knew what they did. They get paid by the CAA, not Akron. They know that they willget plenty of calls from VCU to ref VCU's home games as a direct result of their misconduct. Its just good business.Again, VCU is a pretty good team. But, without the extra help they lose. They would even lose at home to Akron if fair officials called the game. That's honesty.

I also wouldn't have minded seeing a quick layup and a foul instead of the 3 by Dials.If they miss one of the two, we get the ball back down 2, or even if they make em both, we're in the same spot as before, and 10 seconds is enough time.Skipzip, I played ball for a few years myself, I don't know about your coaching background, but that was a silly shot, I would rather take one, set shot with 3 seconds left,than an off balance, fadeaway with 13 seconds left. Although, I think the right move in the situation would be a quick layup and a foul.

There is nothing wrong with our offense, or our defense. Its nearly impossible to defeat a team with five excellent players on the floor backed up by two cheatingreferees. The refs are from the Colonial Athletic Association. They called the game in a manner consistent with making sure their team won. Simple as that.VCU is an excellent team. Without the officials help they lose by eight to ten points. They had the officials and it showed.I sit at the Akron end along the base line. One of numerous bad calls (let's be honest ... the official cheated) was the awarding of the basketball to VCU after it wentoff a VCU player's thigh out of bounds. The official knew it. He awarded the ball to VCU. Its a little thing. In officiating a lot of little things add up. It added up. Itwas cheating. It was unfair, dishonest, whatever you want to call it. It influenced the outcome of the game.It is not always the call an official makes, a lot of the time it is the call he does not make. No calls are an easy means to affect a game's outcome without exposingthe official. Nine blocked shots by a player who was not once flagged for a foul while making those blocks. Ahem. Right. Got it.The two officials left the floor smiling at the barbs being tossed at them. They knew what they did. They get paid by the CAA, not Akron. They know that they willget plenty of calls from VCU to ref VCU's home games as a direct result of their misconduct. Its just good business.Again, VCU is a pretty good team. But, without the extra help they lose. They would even lose at home to Akron if fair officials called the game. That's honesty.
:rolleyes: LOL. Just so you know...those were the same refs from the ODU game who made their 'no-call' on an obvious foul at the end of the game and just happened to throw a tech on Coach Grant on national TV last week. But yeah, they consciously cheated. Umm...yes although you don't have the calibre players at Akron who are capable of having 9 blocks, it's actually possible to do it without fouling :rolleyes: . There's a reason he's the leading freshmen shot-blocker in the country. Ha you think VCU calls or hires refs? We share our refs with the ACC, the ref firm assigns refs to games. You really have no idea what you're talking about. Stop trying to make up conspiracy theories about why you lost, since you clearly can't except that you were beaten by a better team. If you're home court advantage was as great as you said, refs should not have even been in a position to give the game away to anyone. I certainly didn't hear the announcers sharing your sentiments. Get over it, you lost to a better team, and you will lose again next year in Richmond. That is a guarantee. The only reason you were even in this game was because Joey Rodriguez made some stupid frosh mistakes when we were up seven with 2 minutes to go. Jeremiah Wood was the only reason you were in this game. We are a much better team than Akron, and it showed from the tip.

It's a little farther than I'd go with the officiating. It was piss-poor and quite blatantly biased. Now, I'll stop that one step short of the officials knowing they were intentionally mishandling the game. VCU is a talented team, don't get me wrong. I believe there's a contrast of playing styles in the leagues, absolutely. But it makes NO sense how VCU can play stifling man-to-man D with hand checks, jersey grabs and bumps, while akron's guards play back to avoid dribble penetration and yet somehow VCU gets just 7 falls called the entire second half? It's iffy at best. Bottom line: a little more balanced game call and a JWood at 100%, we do win this one. And by the range of 5-10 points.

Showed from the tip? After your 7-0 run to start, we were leading until 5 minutes left.props to VCU, they're a great team.now shut up we know we lost, no need to reiterate what already happened district.i could only wish our fanbase and "atmosphere" could compare to VCU's godly college basketball haven...get over yourself

:rolleyes: LOL. Just so you know...those were the same refs from the ODU game who made their 'no-call' on an obvious foul at the end of the game and just happened to throw a tech on Coach Grant on national TV last week. But yeah, they consciously cheated. Umm...yes although you don't have the calibre players at Akron who are capable of having 9 blocks, it's actually possible to do it without fouling :rolleyes: . There's a reason he's the leading freshmen shot-blocker in the country. Ha you think VCU calls or hires refs? We share our refs with the ACC, the ref firm assigns refs to games. You really have no idea what you're talking about. Stop trying to make up conspiracy theories about why you lost, since you clearly can't except that you were beaten by a better team. If you're home court advantage was as great as you said, refs should not have even been in a position to give the game away to anyone. I certainly didn't hear the announcers sharing your sentiments. Get over it, you lost to a better team, and you will lose again next year in Richmond. That is a guarantee. The only reason you were even in this game was because Joey Rodriguez made some stupid frosh mistakes when we were up seven with 2 minutes to go. Jeremiah Wood was the only reason you were in this game. We are a much better team than Akron, and it showed from the tip.
Much better, huh? You won by 5 points against a team that got 20 mediocre minutes out of its best player and with a little help from the officiating. I think I'm not alone in stating, "GO AWAY." :D

Much better, huh? You won by 5 points against a team that got 20 mediocre minutes out of its best player and with a little help from the officiating. I think I'm not alone in stating, "GO AWAY." :D
Considering Shuler was playing on a sprained ankle and Maynor played one of his worst games of the season. Yes, much better. It's been fun bantering with you guys. Don't take it to heart, a little trash talk does the soul good sometimes! :) Have a great rest of the season. You guys got the matchup you wanted...hope you enjoyed it.

DistrictBaller...ok, so GoZips might sound a little angry...but I think you get the point.1) You can't climb on another player's back in the MAC to get rebounds. But with Colonial officials, at a MAC arena, I guess that's ok. And despite that, we STILL won the battle on the boards. 2) Your "premier shot blocker" hammered Wood near the end of the game...no call. And the same guy committed an obvious goaltend....no call. Hmmmmm. Ultimately, those are the two plays that determined the outcome of the game. 3) Get over the fact that you say Rodriguez made "freshman mistakes". YOUR SUPERSTAR GUARD MADE 7 TURNOVERS...so what do you call that?..."experienced mistakes"??? I'd say your guards had trouble handling the ball against our defense. It was pretty obvious. 4) You played against a team who's 3 TOP PLAYERS are all FAR LESS THAN 100%. The guy that lit you up for 17 points is a guard who is going to have knee surgery at the end of the season, and has played sparingly. And Wood probably isn't even 50% at this point. Congratulations :rolleyes:5) Want to know how bad the officiating really was?? That's the first time, in 4 years, and I have heard our coach "almost" comment about the officials after a game. So, I think that speaks for itself. Just get your facts straight before you come on here gloating.

Also, I think there is a reason Maynor played one of his worst games of the year.
True. You guys played very good defense on him. If you guys want to know the real reason you lost, here it is: You guys missed wide open point blank 3 point shots ALL game long. You couldn't hit those shots to save your lives today.
I couldn't agree more.Usually we shoot pretty much lights out from 3 at home, and I'd like to give credit to your perimeter defense, but there were at least 7 or 8 WIDE OPEN 3's we missed.One of those days I guess, congrats on the win, and hopefully you guys can get an at large if you don't win the tourney, represent the mid-majors well!Maybe we'll see you again in the real tournament after we win the MAC B)

zippy5...your idea is always a possibility. But the percentage play there is to take the 3, and have enough time for a possible rebound, or a foul and another possession. Frankly, if Dial's shot does not take such a long bounce off the rim, we get a rebound and an easy putback because they won't foul us. Then we still would have gotten our 2-points, and could have still fouled and gotten another possession. But that's the way it goes.

I watched the ODU vs. VCU game. Those refs let them play. I hate that because I think we started to change our game because of it. I do think that that one shot blocking dude was climbing some backs or bumping our guys out of position to get the block. 24 is like Chris Singletary. He follows his man with his arms up like "I'm not doing anything." I also think VCU plays a little dirty when they foul. Quade should've been at the line alone early in the game when he was shoved on a dunk that wasn't called an intentional then back at it for the free throws from the foul.But even though all those things occured, 28% shooting is unexceptable. Period. I hope KD takes J-Wood and makes him all day shoot those bunnies. He misses so many. Wide open 3's missed. We were just not on our offensive game today.Oh yea Dials' shot at the end... :puke:

District, congrats on your win; you guys have a great team. Good luck in the NCAA tournament, i will be rooting for you.VCU is a very good team, they seem to recruit at a different level. Schuler, Maynor and the block shot guy are great talents and i think they are all coming back next year.The refs sucked but i will not say that they cheated. Sucking refs are part of the game and should not be used as an excuse for a lost game.Congrats to VCU, let's get together and get that 3rd seed.