Lousy Offense

Blue & Gold

Both our teams played poorly today. Maybe that's how people play at 11AM, who knows.I've seen a lot of ref hating...but if VCU had shot 28% my finger wouldn't be pointed at the refs (we both shot 17 free throws as well, no clear advantage on that one). Also, only 4,098 people there? Apparently they told people to wear their PJs but I guess they forgot to tell them they had to wake up once they got there because the place looked fairly dead on TV.I'll be pulling for you guys to get W's over Ohio and Can't State. Good luck Zips.Oh and also, thought your Coach did a good job on Maynor. The double team up top was very smart. Glad we saw that now for the first time instead of in the CAA or NCAA tournament.

So I watched the replay, and I'm even more sure Dials shot was stupid.I was wrong, there was not 10 seconds left when he shot, there were 18 SECONDS LEFT!!!Quit trying to be the hero...
Don't blame it all on Dials. I didn't tape the game, but I think if you go back to sometime between the 2 and 3 minute mark, you will see the Zips shooting desperation 3-pointers when they were not yet warranted. I'm embarrassed to read some of the whining on this board. It wasn't our day. Congrats to VCU for the win and a good game. Time to move on to Buffalo and locking up a first round MAC Tournament bye.Goodbye Districtballer and good luck to VCU the rest of the season.

Agreed.VCU was the better team today. I'm not convinced they are the better team, but today they won and they deserve credit. Prior to the game on the radio Joe Dunn said he thought this team was playing their best basketball of the year. He held up as proof the win in Miami. I can't agree with Joe -- I think there is talent on this team, but athletic ability is thin (as usual). This could be our achilles heal come tournament team.

Agreed.VCU was the better team today. I'm not convinced they are the better team, but today they won and they deserve credit.
I agree, today VCU played a better game and were the better team. No excuses, no regrets, no whining, we got beat and it happens.

1) make a bunny please. we didnt shoot the ball well from the outside at all, but we def didnt shoot the ball in the paint any better, if not worse. and we got a little more than a little production from wood tonight, and nothing by the mcknight family. they have to play better than that with wood, like they would at times while wood was out. if they are going to keep giving up wide open buckets then play small with 4 guards, where you get better offensive and defensive production. our guards has proven that they guard the post as well as any big man we have. and it will create spacing and mismatches on the other end for us. 2 and 3) i see that there is a lot of doubt on the shot by dials at the end. but if you taped the game you will see that he was open off a double ball screen. the big man helping was layed back. as our best shooter in that position of the game i think you shoot the ball. 10 sec. on the clock would be less if he would have taken it to the basket and not to mention into the fly swatters they had out all game long. he didnt make it, that is the fact. it wasnt a bad shot, he just didnt make it. .... so if he did take it to the basket, we can figure on about 4 seconds on the clock after the ft by vcu after a possible quick foul by the zips. so we are going to run what play to get the ball up the floor in 4 sec. against a trapping team like that? or i am guessing we can throw it deep like milum did to i am guessing wood in the corner? that deep ball has worked well for us the past few years hasnt it? dials makes that shot all the time, he just didnt this time. it didnt lose us the game in the big picture. how about no def boards or wide open 3s? or transition d that hasnt been in the vocabulary of this team yet this year. or missed bunnies. or the horrific start to both halfs. i could go on and on it seems. the fact is we palyed horrible the whole game and in that situation i believe the right play was made. obviously that was the philosophy of the coaches if that double ball screen play was called. and dials is the one to hit the game winner earlier in the year. so let it go. just because the shot didnt go it does not mean that it wasnt the right play or shot. 4) i think this team is right back in the same boat as it was at the beginning of the year. the sr class is going to have to carry the load and we are going to have to ride them through the MAC tourny. the underclassmen were showing promissing results in the middle section of the season, but they have fell off the map a little bit and have looked scared out there. but i think that is a good position for us to be in. with our guys showing signs of improvements health wise, i think that this team will peak at the right time. we just need to find the right mix of guys to play smart basketball out there. sometimes it isnt your best players that win ball games, but your best group of 5. and i think we have a pretty good 5, but no one behind them. hopefully we can get a dependable 6 or 7 man rotation for the tourny.

well lemme start off by saying i'm a little disappointed in some of the posters...a lot of you are bringing up valid points as always...some of you guys really know your stuff, but here's what gets me...nobody on this thread has really addressed the reason why we lost the game...because we actually could have tied the game and sent it to overtime...(don't know about other threads involving the game cause i havent read them all)...THE MOST IMPORTANT STAT OF THE WHOLE GAME!!...Free throw attempts/Free throws made.......12-17=70.6%...percentage not important...but those 5 points are...time...after time...after time...we kill ourselves and shoot ourselves in the foot from the foul line...if we would have had those extra 5 points and the game went to overtime...at least we had given ourselves a shot...drag it outlonger, maybe we coulda pulled it out...even if we didnt get all 5...if we would have got 3 more, we would have been down by 2 and not been forced to throw up a wild 3...i don't care what anyone says about "defense wins ballgames"...or "offense wins ballgames"...my thought has always been, and today proved my point more to me...FREE THROWS WIN BALLGAMES...for the smart ones technically we would have been tied...but it would have been interesting to see that game go to overtime...now i know we have been slightly better from the foul line, but not good enough...congrats to J-Wood and Dials who proved it actually is possible for a college basketball player to make all of their free throw attempts in a game...5-5 and 4-4 respectively...i agree with the kid that started the thread...we dont have an offense...if we do and there is a name for it or something, tell me...im intrigued...id like to know what is going on out there, cause it doesnt look like much...id like to watch one of our practices and just see what goes on...im curious to know if they practice foul shots...they have become probably the most neglected shot nowadays...they may not be worth 3 points, but cutting into a lead without the clock running is always good...on one other note it was good to see J-Wood back in the game today he's one tough guy...personally from watching him today it looks like he tries to do too much when he's down below...i know he was being double teamed a lot...but i think with all the faking and pivoting he does sometimes, maybe he jukes himself out...i mean he can really throw the defender for a loop sometimes, but maybe try to keep it more simple...and maybe take it stronger...i know he likes those floaters, but maybe take stronger...idk just observations

1 Utah St. 27 18-9 421 537 78.42 IUPUI 27 21-6 398 509 78.23 Cornell 21 16-5 305 391 78.04 Florida St. 27 15-12 417 536 77.85 California 24 15-9 389 501 77.6ZipRowdy -- c'mon man -- this was a good free throw shooting game for us and you think that is why we lost. Look above those are the top 5 college free throw shooting teams in the country. We shot 70% this game. It is a valid point if they shot 50%, but 70% isn't bad. As for the offense -- when the guys hit their shots it works when they don't it doesn't. This team was picked fourth at the beginning of the season -- it is time for them to step up. I don't think Wood should have been playing in what amounted to a meaningless game yesterday --he would have had another week off before we are back in MAC season if they gave him yesterday off. Yesterday he looked like he looked at the end of the Championship game last year -- tired and low to the ground. Wood carried this team last year towards the end of the year and ran out of steam. I think the key ingredient we're missing is athletic basketball players. We've got gritty covered -- athletic not so much. Middleton is and has been the most athletic player on this team for years. We were told Conyers was athletic, but we haven't seem him lately and I know nothing, but wouldn't be surprised if his disappearing act lead to him disappearing completely at the end of the season. Top yesterday off with a Can't and OU win makes what should have been a win far worse. One win to get to 20 and then the only thing that matters is the tournament. This team gets no looks at an large -- the focus needs to be on being 100% healthy and playing like a team for the tournament. If yesterday was a step in that direction great, but I didn't see it. Two in a row the wrong way at home :unsure:

I'm not sure what all the angst is about. We played a pretty good game with some lock down defense against another pretty darn good mid-major team. Those are the kind of games we want to play, look at the effort at Dayton as another example. Sure, I'd have loved to have won them both, but the effort is there, its not like a few years ago when we'd get blown out by teams like those. Its great that the expectations have been raised so much but how many of you remember the Bracket Buster games we had as "also rans" just a few short years ago? ESPN thought enough of us to put us on against a very good team on ESPN2. Why all the gnashing of teeth? In the final analysis, this game didn't mean much, but it did give Wood an opportunity to get back in the game and start to get his legs back again. Of course he looked tired, he hasn't been able to do much conditioning for two weeks (but he also sort of had two weeks of rest). I think it was the right move to get him back in, he certainly appeared ready and he did a great job. His absence gave the McKnight brothers some valuable time and experience and the team has got to be better for that. I love the thought of having Wood back for the stretch run when we all thought he might be gone for the rest of the year. There are three big games coming up and hopefully three more after that (and hoping for at least one more following that). We have some gritty players, we have some athetes and I still have hope that we can pull this off - we almost upset Can't in their gym, now we have them in ours and I want to see them on a neutral floor in Cleveland (hopefully in the final). Go Zips!

yes it sucks that Akron lost but they deserved to take the L today. both teams played great D and VCU hit more shots. Akron shoots the ball better they win. i was pleased with what i saw today though. wood will get more strength in his leg and continue to get better. ced looks like he has enough in the tank to play at a high level for the remainder of the season. i've been critical of b. mcnight on this board but he played a very good game and if the brother's mcnight can continue to play at this level Akron will be able to make the MAC finals with a chance to win. can't say i was happy with the outcome but they'll shoot better and they'll get better. :screwks:

i never said we lost b/c of the free throws...we had no inside game, and we didnt shoot that great...free throws would have helped us in the closing seconds...if we would have made 3 more, we could have held the ball for the final shot and possibly could have gone inside with it to get a bucket to send it to overtime...thanks for putting the stat up about those teams and their free throw %...frankly i dont care...granted 70% may be "not bad"...i mean C's get degrees...but what if you only had 70% of a car, or if only 70% of your car worked...not too good...im not that old, im only 20...when i was growing up, i was taught free throws are very important...probably the most important shot...youre alone...nobody guarding you...no reason why you should miss them...thats changed for some reason...teams stress the 3 pointer now more than anything...if you think im wrong, watch our guys during their warmup...i think all but 2 guys shoot 3's at some point during their warmup...maybe one handful shoot free throws, and they only shoot a couple...idk...you all have your opinions, and i have mine...you cant tell me i dont have a valid point...im stickin with what i said earlier...free throws win ball games

From what I see sitting in the upper endzone, you can tell if a 3-pointer is going in as they take the shots. Our guys have a big problem squaring up to the basket. In the second half, Linhart airballed one to the right of the rim. You could have called it because as he was shooting he was facing that direction slightly and falling slightly right. I think it was Dials who also had an airball similarly.I know it's not that simple and a lot of that is because we often shoot so quickly off of a screen, but many of those shots are falling sideways or, at a minimum, not square, and htose are the ones that don't go in. Fundamentals are fundamentals for a reason.I couldn't there until the second half, but from what I saw VCU had a smothering defense and Sanders (?) was just damn good. Once he blocked so many in the beginning, it changed all of our shots. Near the end of the game I saw Jeremiah pass up a straight lay-up, make a move, and do one of his sideways shots. THat shotblocking got in our heads and that's why we missed a lot of our bunnies. We're expecting to get fouled/blocked and changing the shot because of it. How many breakaway layups have we missed this year because we're trying to draw the foul instead of just shooting the lay-up?