Fantastic Opportunity for the Zips!!!

akron won 26 games last year and what did that get them?
The same thing it will get Can't this year if that's how many they win.
FACT...Can't has had more NCAA bids than akron...what else is there?
I don't know, you tell me. You seem to be alluding to some mystical system that Can't is employing that has gotten them these NCAA bids, when in actuality it's really simple... they've gotten four NCAA bids, and they've won four MAC Tournaments. These at-large berths that you speak of that have been earned by the MAC in the past twenty years (and there are only two) were earned by Miami in 1995 and Miami again in 1999... Can't St. is absent from this very short list that is approaching a decade since anyone has been added to it. Anyways, what a waste of time, you're hellbent on believing that Can't has a "way" (which you imply has something to do with how they schedule) and if Akron would only follow this "way" then the prosperity of the program would be assured.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did the way "Can't schedules motto" help them last year.akron beat them three times.they sat at home last year.if the schedule was so great then they should be in the ncaa every year.how does it help to lose a game to duke,or north carolina.we lost to #10 nevada last year in a close game.did that help us? no.you have to beat a team for it to count not close losses.

akron won 26 games last year and what did that get them?
The same thing it will get Can't this year if that's how many they win.
FACT...Can't has had more NCAA bids than akron...what else is there?
I don't know, you tell me. You seem to be alluding to some mystical system that Can't is employing that has gotten them these NCAA bids, when in actuality it's really simple... they've gotten four NCAA bids, and they've won four MAC Tournaments. These at-large berths that you speak of that have been earned by the MAC in the past twenty years (and there are only two) were earned by Miami in 1995 and Miami again in 1999... Can't St. is absent from this very short list that is approaching a decade since anyone has been added to it. Anyways, what a waste of time, you're hellbent on believing that Can't has a "way" (which you imply has something to do with how they schedule) and if Akron would only follow this "way" then the prosperity of the program would be assured.
What you say is true but the difference is Can't is ranked Akron wasn't last year which is why I would put money on them getting in the dance if they can get the one seed and get to the finals and lose to us :)

Guys...come on. As much as we hate Can't, they are the first MAC team in quite some time that has put themselves in a strong position for an at-large bid. And they've had good enough teams to get at-large bids before, but ended up getting the automatic because they won the MAC tournament. Just look at the 2007 Zips, and the 2008 flushes. They've both won well over 20 games. But, one of these teams won well over 20 games with a weak schedule, and the other won well over 20 games with a respectable strength of schedule.Why wouldn't we at least be wanting to explore the possibility of playing just a few more high-profile teams a year to have a CHANCE to put ourselves in the same position?If not, we'll keep experiencing some of the same March frustrations that we've faced over the last 20+ years. I'm just not understanding this "just keep doing what we're doing" philosophy. It's not working.

Guys...come on. As much as we hate Can't, they are the first MAC team in quite some time that has put themselves in a strong position for an at-large bid. And they've had good enough teams to get at-large bids before, but ended up getting the automatic because they won the MAC tournament. Just look at the 2007 Zips, and the 2008 flushes. They've both won well over 20 games. But, one of these teams won well over 20 games with a weak schedule, and the other won well over 20 games with a respectable strength of schedule.Why wouldn't we at least be wanting to explore the possibility of playing just a few more high-profile teams a year to have a CHANCE to put ourselves in the same position?If not, we'll keep experiencing some of the same March frustrations that we've faced over the last 20+ years. I'm just not understanding this "just keep doing what we're doing" philosophy. It's not working.
Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

I think it is time to stop all the "Can't is ranked" talk. O.K. it is good for them, good for the MAC, they deserve it. But let's focus on the next three games, not just the season ending one with Can't!!!! Get that #3 seed,and go after it with authority!!!!. Pound the ball in the paint,shoot 3"s, but do not live and die with them!! Start counting the number of shots the Zips get in the paint!!!!!!!!! We cannot count on Miami successfully defending Millet Hall this Sat against the Bobcats. The Zips might have to go to Athens and win to get that #3 seed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice picture Captain. Can you tell this is a topic I am quite passionate about? Just a lot of years of frustration piling up. bigzipguy...That Miami vs. OU game is key. If we beat Buffalo, and Miami also wins, it takes the pressure off of us for the rest of the regular season. Miami should play well. They are fighting for their last opportunity to get the #4 spot. I'd rather us not have to go to OU in a "must win" situation for the #3 seed. And that #3 seed is going to be a HUGE advantage over the #4 this year.

We'll likely be 22-9 going into the MAC tourney as the #3 seed, coming off a win over a Top 25 K.e.n.t. team. We're as healthy as we'll ever be. And as hoopla stated above, we'll go as far as Ced, Dials and Wood take us. Which SHOULD be a finals berth...and that I EXPECT with be a finals berth...the same results of which all UA fans should expect from this team (spoiled brats that we are). ;)
You Akron fans are hilarious...22-9? You are 19-9 right now and you expect to win your last 3 just like that? Buffalo will not be hard for you, although you did lose to NIU at home, Ohio in Athens? seems pretty unlikely to me, and Can't will be a good game but I would take the flushes in that one considering they have a lot more to lose than you guys do.

Captain, let me borrow that stick for a second. Assuming that Can't is still ranked when we play them, our schedule this year would have included the following:Two games against Top 25 teams (One we took to @OT, and the other we should beat--we'll see).Two games against recognized strong mid-majors (VCU and Winthrop).One game against a highly recognizable name team (Temple).I liked our schedule this year. We just didn't win the games we needed to win.If we beat Can't on the 9th and beat them again in the tourney, would they get an at-large then?

Here we go again...the "I don't think we can get an at large bid, so why should we try?" mentality.Blue and Gold...you are correct. Doubtful that Can't would get an at-large if they lose two more games.BirdZip....bottom line...a schedule strength down around 200 is not even remotely close to what you need to get the job done. Even if we could have pulled out a couple more wins (the same old argument every year), it's simply not enough to get it done. And again, that's the entire problem, we are putting ourselves in a position where we have to win just about every game. And with a bunch of 20 and 21 year old kids, that's a very difficult road to go down.

Here we go again...the "I don't think we can get an at large bid, so why should we try?" mentality.Blue and Gold...you are correct. Doubtful that Can't would get an at-large if they lose two more games.BirdZip....bottom line...a schedule strength down around 200 is not even remotely close to what you need to get the job done. Even if we could have pulled out a couple more wins (the same old argument every year), it's simply not enough to get it done. And again, that's the entire problem, we are putting ourselves in a position where we have to win just about every game. And with a bunch of 20 and 21 year old kids, that's a very difficult road to go down.
You are all over the place on your scheduling argument - First, it's Can't’s way of which you cannot provide details because they historically have the same philosophy as us (KD is just a little more vocal about it nationally trying to make it a point – which is smart in a lot of ways). Then, you admit that Can't will be in the same spot as us last year if they lose 1 more regular season game and don’t win the tournament further proving everyone's point #1. No one is saying you have to win every single game, you have to win the big ones when you get the opportunity on center stage - Daytons, VCUs, Nevedas, etc – and take care of conference business with only minor slips. Look at the history of the NCAA tourney, mid majors are not going to get into the tourney at 20-10 due to their conferences -- It takes 25 or 26 to get considered and then they’ll look at your resume on the center stage and program’s winning history. That gives you 5, 6 maybe 7 games to lose no matter what your OOC looks like. So, you have to win. It's life at Akron, It's life at any mid major. Captain- It's burned into my memory...... Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

Looks like the Zips opportunity to knock off a top 25 Can't team might not happen. BG is giving them all they can handle today. Up 8 with 12 minutes to play in BG. Still plenty of time for Can't to come back, but BG has answered the bell every time they've tried to make a run.
Incredible. BG pulls off the upset. One more Can't loss before the 9th and the a few Zips wins and we could be playing for the East. It'd take a lot of things going right, but boy would it be nice!

Here's what we should want to happen tonight:Miami to beat OhioWMU to lose to ToledoCMU to beat NIUThat makes the Ohio game incredibly important, since it will secure the 3-seed. If WMU loses twice, Can't loses to Miami, and we beat Ohio, We could win the MAC regular season title and gaurantee a spot in the NIT, if we can't win the MAC tourney.

Z-Pouch...Do you not recall that having well over 20 wins was not good enough last year, BUT ALSO HAS NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH ON MANY OTHER OCCASSIONS IN THE LAST FEW DECADES??Akron would NOT have gotten an at large bid just for winning a couple more games. Not with a schedule strength down near 200. So YES, you would have to darn near win all of your games. And I can speak from experience that it's a very tough position to put young kids into....the pressure of having to darn near win your entire schedule from the outset of the season. You bring up Can't's "historic" philosophy on scheduling being the same as ours. I don't know what Can't's "historic" scheduling philosophy is, but I do know that they certainly have scheduled good enough to put themselves in a position for an at-large, and we have not. It's as simple as that. And the real difference appears to be that they are willing to put a couple more high ranked teams on their schedule, and we will not play those teams because they won't give us a return trip.If our philosophy is clearly NOT to play teams that won't give us a return trip...then how can you say that the two schools look at scheduling the same way?By the way...Can't just lost. I think this puts their at-large chances in serious jeoprardy. But like I said earlier, that really doesn't matter. I commend them for getting to the 30th game of the season, with the right combination of wins and schedule strength to put themselves in a position to get a shot at an at-large.Hey....feel free to join with those who seem content with sitting here year after year winning 20-25 games, and wondering why nobody gives us any respect.If there is any "historic" lesson here...it's that we'll keep getting the same results if we keep doing what we're doing. As fellow Zips fans, I wish I could agree with you that the problem is something else other than what it is. But, you're "beating a dead horse" with a viewpoint that has gotten us nowhere, and will continue to do so unless it changes.

but I do know that they certainly have scheduled good enough to put themselves in a position for an at-large, and we have not. It's as simple as that.
No, it's really not that simple. If the Zips had won three games (all of which they should have won) then they would have found themselves in a very similar position to the potheads out east... Winning the TOWC to open the year, holding that ten-point lead at Can't, and winning the clunker we threw up against NIU... then we're looking at a 22-4 record, the top record in the MAC, and a game in hand on Can't head-to-head heading into the BracketBuster game (which would have sent us out to SMC instead of Can't). We are where we are for one reason and one reason only, we lost games that we should have won. Can't is where they are for the opposite reason, they won those games and parlayed them into a chance at a Top 25 school (St. Mary's) which they ended up winning as well. Anyway, Can't just killed their margin for error today because *wait for it* they lost a game they should have won. If things hold and they don't lose until the MAC finals, I think they're in. A misstep vs. Miami, UA, or in anything short of the MAC finals and they may squeak their way in on the virtue of this being a very weak year in the BCS conferences, but they'll still be sweating bullets on March 16th.That return trip baloney applies to one lousy game on their schedule and that's North Carolina. I wouldn't mind seeing the Zips play at Phog, or the Dean Dome, or Cameron, I think it would be good for them (not to mention make their college hoops experience that much more memorable). But if a team is getting brownie points with the selection committee for a game they lost by 20 points, then something is amiss here.