1 AWARD CHARLIE FRYE SHOULD LET GO!!!

Guest RYAN

couple months ago city manager of willard,ohio brian humphress names "september 11" charlie frye day in willard,ohio where charlie grew up.When i read this it made me sick.How can you say September 11 is charlie frye day when that day is a day in no one will ever forget the rest of our lifes!! This was a stupid decision on the city manager and a even stupider decision on charlie to take the award. I myself have friends fighting in Iraq and charlie is only a student-athlete.if you going to make it a "charlie frye" day you have 364 other days to choose from pick a other day!!! CHARLIE SEPT.11 IS FOR PEOPLE THAT LOST THEIR LIVES AND FOR THE POLICE WHO WENT INTO BURNING BULIDINGS TO SAVE LIVES..THROWING A FOOTBALL DOESN'T COMPARE TO THIS!!!WHEN YOU SAVE SOMEONE LIFE BY PLAYING A GAME CALLED FOOTBALL LET ME KNOW

Guest Zipster Jr

Ryan, I admire your friends service in Iraq, but you are way too sensitive about this...

Should the NCAA have stopped all football games on Sept 11, 2004? Akron played MTSU that evening... with a moment of silence.

Would you tell people who celebrate birthdays and anniversaries or accept awards etc. on December 7th to give them back because December 7th is only for those who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor? I would hope not..

I think your devotion to your friends and your desire to commemorate our loss on Sept 11th is admirable.. but to give up being who we are and to ask others to stop living gives the terrorists exactly what they wanted...

What's the chip on your shoulder against Charlie? He would be the first to agree with you that throwing footballs doesn't as you put it "save a life." But Charlie Frye is a class act -- he will donate his time and money back to the community and who knows -- maybe his donation will fund the cure to some medical condition etc. Then I guess someone will have "saved a life by playing a game called football."

So Charlie.. keep the award and the day and give Willard Ohio and Akron Zips fans everywhere another thing to be proud of on Sept 11th.

M y thing is i didnt say get living on sept 11 or anything but charlie frye day in willard is NOT national holiday so why couldnt the city manager pick sept 1 or something.SEPTEMBER 11 IS NOT A DAY TO REMEMBER CHARLIE FRYE IN NO MEANS!!!! that was a day that probably chnaged alot of lives..i have no beef with charlie.i am a alumi at his high school.

You're right. All the people with birthdays on September 11 should just move them. All the people with anniversaries on Sept. 11 should never celebrate.

Historically, people did have birthdays on June 6. And on December 7. And they just kept on celebrating them.

We WIN in a small but meaningful way when we don't let our lives grind to a halt over September 11 falling on a football Saturday on a beautiful fall day in Ohio.

give me one good reason why sept 11 is be charlie fry day in willard,ohio.on a national calendar sept 11 is Patriot Day.My point is how can you take a day like that and say its"charlie frye day" i dont care about giving him a award but to say its charlie frye day on sept 11 is little over board!! Charlie frys is not even the best QB from willard high school.Nick strance had a better high school career but didnt go division-1 because his height..nick is qb at ashland university.What is a charlie frye day anyways?? i know willard isnt going to have a big frye festival because this town is already hurting for money..the school is going to vote to make the players pay to play next year wait big charlie will sign millions coming soon...with a touch of a pen he could help his high school and community..

Ryan,

It was just a play on words for one day only. Let's review. It was Charlie Frye Day (Friday). Get it....

Sorry the game was on Friday, but were they to pretend it was a different day. Look, it was a huge event for the school. Charlie got a little certificate from the mayors of his home town and Akron. It is really no slap in the face to anyone. The world is still turning.

Guest ***GUEST_Zippy

The ASSLAND 8 strike again!

Did they happen to mention that April 1 was Lee Owens' birthday? He was actually due on April 15 but he gave up the extra 14 days in the womb like his Akron teams gave up 14 points to the opposing team's during the 4th Quarter.

Just because Charlie called you out for the asses you are doesn't mean you have to attack him on the board.

Well, I was going to keep my trap shut on this subject. I had been only giving topic a cursory glance. But, something caught my eye. The words "Ashland University" flushed like a neon sign. Thus, I read deeper. Had to scroll back and read "RYAN's" post after seeing some trash talk.

Now, I openly admit that I am a friend of Lee Owens. I like Lee and have had many conversations with him over the years. We have our differences. I am a strong believer in an "attack" defense. Which JD seems to better utilize than Lee ever did.

But, this post is not about Lee Owens. Rather, its about an inane remark "RYAN" made. Folks, I don't give a crap about Nick Strance's play at Willard HS. I have seen this kid play in three Ashland games. He couldn't hold Charlie's jock strap. Strance plays like his feet are encased in cement. His throws are erratic. Let's not beat a wounded horse or in this case a lame arsed Div-2 QB. Instead let us kick "RYAN's" lame arse from pillar to post for such a stupid remark.

RYAN what you don't know about football would fill several books.