Zeke Marshall Verbal commitment!

Psssssst...Don't look now but Rivals.com just updated there rankings. Zeke is the number #37 ranked player in 2009 and the #8 Center. http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect...248&Sport=2btw -- Jamie Dixon was just found PASSED OUT on Forbes Avenue...He's ok...just needed to catch his breathe.
What were his rankings before this update? Don't tell me they actually went UP after verballing to a MAC school. I was under the assumption that going to a MAC school automatically reduced your ranking simply by virtue of going to a MAC school. :blink:
There are 2 Major Scouting Services: Scout.com and Rivals.comScout.com has Zeke ranked #61 (#11 Center in the 2009 class) before he played the Pitt Jamfest and King James AAU tournament.Rivals.com has Zeke ranked #37 (#8 Center in the 2009 class). The rivals rankings came out today and were based on his AAU tournament play against some top ranked players.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psssssst...Don't look now but Rivals.com just updated there rankings. Zeke is the number #37 ranked player in 2009 and the #8 Center. http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect...248&Sport=2btw -- Jamie Dixon was just found PASSED OUT on Forbes Avenue...He's ok...just needed to catch his breathe.
What were his rankings before this update? Don't tell me they actually went UP after verballing to a MAC school. I was under the assumption that going to a MAC school automatically reduced your ranking simply by virtue of going to a MAC school. :blink:
Rankings are based on the recruits High School, Camp, and AAU level play. College choices are not factored into the rankings.
Tell that to the hundreds of recruits each year that see their star ranking drop from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2 overnight, a change that magically coincides with either a verbal commitment or the signing of a letter of intent to play for a mid-major.

There is a huge upside to the Zeke-Akron relationship.Zeke will improve in ability, body and total skill set each season. While he may opt out early for the NBA (a genuine possibility), Zeke's mere presence as a Zip willattract upper echelon players to the program. Look for KD and staff to spend their few available scholarships on top shelf talent.Do not overlook the high caliber of talent currently on board and coming in this Fall. KD's next dilemma is to figure who to red shirt. Akron is loaded at the guards. Andthe front court has lots of young talent as well. As I see it, Anthony Hitchens and Nic Cvetinovic are the two incoming kids that will play right away. Andrew Parrish, if he gets his grades straightened out is another high potential for immediate play.Ray Chambers remains on my "love to have him in a Zips uniform" list.

There is a huge upside to the Zeke-Akron relationship.Zeke will improve in ability, body and total skill set each season. While he may opt out early for the NBA (a genuine possibility), Zeke's mere presence as a Zip willattract upper echelon players to the program. Look for KD and staff to spend their few available scholarships on top shelf talent.Do not overlook the high caliber of talent currently on board and coming in this Fall. KD's next dilemma is to figure who to red shirt. Akron is loaded at the guards. Andthe front court has lots of young talent as well. As I see it, Anthony Hitchens and Nic Cvetinovic are the two incoming kids that will play right away. Andrew Parrish, if he gets his grades straightened out is another high potential for immediate play.Ray Chambers remains on my "love to have him in a Zips uniform" list.
I really really hope that this is just the start of bigger things to come for Basketball recruiting wise. Success tends to breed success. Even though we maybe haven't had the tourney appearances to show for it, the string of 20 win seasons and a couple of impressive NIT wins definitley helps. I'd love to see us landing a top 100 recruit or two every year. I'd LOVE to see Ray Chambers in here after his 2 year JUCO stint. Him and Zeke in the front court with Brett McKnight, Humpty and maybe McClanahan (who I have high hopes for as well) would be a real nice starting lineup. The future is bright for the Zips.

• 2 weeks later...
Man, sounds like we are going to have a MONSTER team in a few years! I didn't know we were going to be this stacked. Imagine it.....The BB team makes a run deep into the NCAA tourney, and the Soccer and Rifle teams both win National Championships! ;)
Forget soccer and bball, lets get that rifle dynasty started.
:lol: good luck with that. if i was a betting person i would put my money on soccer first.
Well I really doubt you follow what is going on with the rifle team so allow me to enlighten you. The rifle team is almost busting at the seems with freshman this upcoming year. There are are three major shooters being recruited that will bolster the team in a major way and another walk on that is anticipated to be a big addition to the team. If a dynasty is going to be started, it looks like this this next year is the most likely time for it to start happening. Another point is with rifle it takes fewer members to mae up a team, so one better shooter does a lot more for the team than one person on a basketball team.

Man, sounds like we are going to have a MONSTER team in a few years! I didn't know we were going to be this stacked. Imagine it.....The BB team makes a run deep into the NCAA tourney, and the Soccer and Rifle teams both win National Championships! ;)
:lol: good luck with that. if i was a betting person i would put my money on soccer first.
Well I really doubt you follow what is going on with the rifle team so allow me to enlighten you. The rifle team is almost busting at the seems with freshman this upcoming year. There are are three major shooters being recruited that will bolster the team in a major way and another walk on that is anticipated to be a big addition to the team. If a dynasty is going to be started, it looks like this this next year is the most likely time for it to start happening. Another point is with rifle it takes fewer members to mae up a team, so one better shooter does a lot more for the team than one person on a basketball team.
you're right. i just finished 4 years on the team and don't know what the hell is going on. :lol: good luck this year. i would love to be proven wrong :gun::champs:

you're right. i just finished 4 years on the team and don't know what the hell is going on. :lol: good luck this year. i would love to be proven wrong :gun::champs:
I think you may be overrating several of these freshman. I hear most need to hit the weight room hard before they will be a factor, with particular attention needed on the bench press and left eye squint.

Actually, Zipshot is correct, there are some pretty highly ranked recruits coming into the program. I can't remember the specific details, and I don't want to perpetuate any false information so I'll leave it at that for now. Let me see if I can find out some specifics.

Sorry to turn Zeke's thread into a rifle thread but...I know of three recruits. Sarah Benjamin from Vermont I know personally and she will be a great addition to the team. Former team member Martha Carpenter ('04-'05) was from the same junior club in Burlington. All around she will be a great asset to the team and Akron is lucky to get her. The other two are guys from the Frazier-Simplex club from Pennsylvania. I don't know them personally but am familiar with other shooters who hailed from that club. It is a very good and well known (nationally) junior club. One is Joel Nuzum and I think the other is Ryan Stein. According to USA Shooting, Nuzum is ranked #56 in the nation in men's air rifle, #41 in men's 3-p, and #39 in men's prone. In the 2008 Junior Olympics he placed #23 in 3-p, #36 in prone, and #52 in air rifle. Stein is ranked #101 in the nation in men's air rifle and #94 in men's 3-p. Benjamin is ranked #71 in the nation in women's air rifle and #66 in women's 3-p.Other notable rankings of current team members:Senior Andrew Castano is ranked #16 in men's prone, #111 in 3-p, and #117 in air rifle. Sophomore Brittany Jones is ranked #108 in women's air rifle and #109 in 3-pSophomore Rebecca Gerevics is ranked #70 in women's air rifle USAS national rankings are based on averages shot in USAS sanctioned matches (thus why only a few team members are ranked, many don't shoot USAS sanctioned matches). They also include all ages where the Junior Olympics only allow junior shooters (shooters 20 and under) to compete.

Sorry to turn Zeke's thread into a rifle thread but...I know of three recruits. Sarah Benjamin from Vermont I know personally and she will be a great addition to the team. Former team member Martha Carpenter ('04-'05) was from the same junior club in Burlington. All around she will be a great asset to the team and Akron is lucky to get her. The other two are guys from the Frazier-Simplex club from Pennsylvania. I don't know them personally but am familiar with other shooters who hailed from that club. It is a very good and well known (nationally) junior club. One is Joel Nuzum and I think the other is Ryan Stein. According to USA Shooting, Nuzum is ranked #56 in the nation in men's air rifle, #41 in men's 3-p, and #39 in men's prone. In the 2008 Junior Olympics he placed #23 in 3-p, #36 in prone, and #52 in air rifle. Stein is ranked #101 in the nation in men's air rifle and #94 in men's 3-p. Benjamin is ranked #71 in the nation in women's air rifle and #66 in women's 3-p.Other notable rankings of current team members:Senior Andrew Castano is ranked #16 in men's prone, #111 in 3-p, and #117 in air rifle. Sophomore Brittany Jones is ranked #108 in women's air rifle and #109 in 3-pSophomore Rebecca Gerevics is ranked #70 in women's air rifle USAS national rankings are based on averages shot in USAS sanctioned matches (thus why only a few team members are ranked, many don't shoot USAS sanctioned matches). They also include all ages where the Junior Olympics only allow junior shooters (shooters 20 and under) to compete.
I heard none of the freshmen has a vertical leap of over 24 inches.

As you can see, rifle people are pretty gung ho about their passtime which some people think of as a sport. Lets try to bring this thread back on point. As a starter, What do think about Zeke participating in both basketball and rifle?
you think you want to get back on topic but your words say you want to debate the merits of rifle as a sport. anyways, zeke couldn't do both. rifle goes from september to march and conflicts often with bball.

As you can see, rifle people are pretty gung ho about their passtime which some people think of as a sport.
:rolleyes:
Lets try to bring this thread back on point. As a starter, What do think about Zeke participating in both basketball and rifle?
Even though I have never seen the guy, I can make a few assessments:Advantage: He probably has some pretty big feet which will provide a good base in the standing position.Disadvantage: As he is pretty tall, his Center of Gravity will be higher, making it more difficult to stay stable in the standing position.Advantage: Seems like he's a pretty smart kid as he wants to pursue Computer Science. Rifle is 99.99% mental.He could give it a try. It would be tough to fit in the additional 12 + hours of practice during the week and then make the matches on the weekend, but it's worth a shot.

As you can see, rifle people are pretty gung ho about their passtime which some people think of as a sport.
:rolleyes:
Lets try to bring this thread back on point. As a starter, What do think about Zeke participating in both basketball and rifle?
Even though I have never seen the guy, I can make a few assessments:Advantage: He probably has some pretty big feet which will provide a good base in the standing position.Disadvantage: As he is pretty tall, his Center of Gravity will be higher, making it more difficult to stay stable in the standing position.Advantage: Seems like he's a pretty smart kid as he wants to pursue Computer Science. Rifle is 99.99% mental.He could give it a try. It would be tough to fit in the additional 12 + hours of practice during the week and then make the matches on the weekend, but it's worth a shot.
Is the "worth a shot" pun worth mentioning? :D

What do think about Zeke participating in both basketball and rifle?
Sounds like something Rydell Brooks probably considered at some point?
rydell wouldn't have made it. he can't grasp simple gun safety rules like don't at shoot people.
And he couldn't hit a damn thing apparently, so he would be no good to the rifle team!!

:lol: MY...MY!!! Haven't you all been busy. Very interesting threads recently. Well...there are a few new things to share with you all....Zeke went to the Prom last week..post-4936-1212159510_thumb.jpg post-4936-1212159739_thumb.jpgI'll put the other pics up in a couple of days (they are being developed). The other piece of news is that Zeke has been invited to the NIKE/STOUDEMIRE Big Man camp which is being held in Arizona next month...WHICH ALSO gives him entry to the LBJ camp at Akron in July!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: Right now, he is trying to get through FINALS without destroying ALL OF HIS BRAIN CELLS... :lol: He has his Chem final (I think today)--what a way to end the school week. I think by the time I go to get Zeke this afternoon..he'll probably be a zombie...and his guitar for his Guitar Hero game is broke...so he really isn't a happy camper right now. He has a tournament this weekend..as a matter of fact his first game is tonight at 8pm. It's a "local" tourney..no big deal...just something to keep him and his teammates busy. So, he has 1 game tonight, 1 game tomorrow and 3 games on Sunday. Thats the 411 for now. The last day of school for him is Wed.-June 4th. I'll holla back with you all as soon as I get the rest of those prom pics.Talk with ya soon...PEACE OUTZeke's Mom...

How tough is it to rent a tux when you're a 7-footer? :blink:
Not tough at all CK....as a matter of fact, we've already picked out his tux for next year. He is going to wear a Zoot Suit (you know..the kind of suits that have the pocket watch chain hanging down)...hat, cane and the works...