2005 Schedule??

Guest Zip88

Was getting ready to order my season tickets and just wondered about the schedule...

If I figure correctly, we know the following 8 games are a lock:

At Purdue

At Middle Tennessee

Army

Ohio

at Miami

Can't State

at Buffalo

Whoever gets moved to MAC East

gozips.com indicates 11 games for 2005.

If we figure the usual two MAC West cross-over games, we still have an open date.

Do we fill in with another cross-over (MAC West)?? Are there other OOC games in the works??

Anybody in the know -- who can shed a little light??

Guest ***GUEST_Z.I.P.

I thought I read that there will be three (3) crossover games vs MAC West teams. And, I think that I heard Ball State (road?)and BeeGee (home?) are listed on the schedule.

There apparently is SOME way to determine the East-West matchups prior to the official announcement (e.g., French and others knew NIU would be on the 04 sched), but I sure haven't figured it out. Duh. Does anybody know how it works?

Nothing is for sure regarding cross-over games because the MAC Division set-up for next year hasnot been determined. NIU and BSU were to have been the West opps for next year but with the departure of MU and UCF that is all up in the air. Ohio, Can't and Army are definite home games with two others coming from inside the MAC - one east and one west. Purdue, MTSU, Miami, Buffalo are for sure road games with two others coming from inside the MAC - one east and one west. The 2005 schedule will not be released until mid-February and nothing is for sure until it is released. Footbal schedules in the MAC tend to change up until the day of release so don't believe anything until it comes out on the official web site.

Anyone else notice the Home and Homes with Troy and North Texas are gone too?? As is the Utah State game....

Are we shying away from Sunbelt opponents after the Middle Tennessee game(s)?? Or are we dropping the games due to travel or because MT is looking to step it up a notch??

Gawdddd ... I love Zips sports. What fans!!! Hey, ZIP88, I have a question for you. Who is a better name "draw" ... ARMY or Muddle Tennisshoe State? Would you rather watch KENTUCKY or the unheard of North Texas who dey?

The Zips are shying away from Sun Belt "power houses" to play SEC and Big East schools.

You made a funny.

Hey GoZip..

Why are your reading attitude into my post? I am asking a legit question.

Bottom line... yes shying away from Sunbelt opponents... Not cause we can't beat em. but because they are lousy draws and cause there's nothing to gain by playing them..

I saw them off the schedule and asked a reasonable question... If you don't have an intellignet response -- then ignore my question.

Geez, this is why I don't post much here... too many slugs looking for a fight....

I'm out...

Don't take it personal Zips88.

Everything you said is correct. They do not draw a crowd and there is no interest locally. However, it is the best of a bad situation. I would rather the Zips play Division I teams like MTSU or N. Texas other than bringing in 1-AA teams like Liberty and Howard. Beating D-I teams looks better than beating Howard 70-0. Let's face it, there was no entertainment value in watching Liberty or Howard.

On the flip side, no big time program is going to come and play at the Rubber Bowl. There simply is no upside for them coming to Akron. Only down side if they lose as a result of being distracted by all of the empty blue benches.

Also, to schedule another Big Ten team for example almost guarantees three non-conference losses at the beginning of the year. This outcome destroys not only the team physically and emotionally but gives fans little hope at the start of the season.

I am doubtful that Army will even draw well next year unless UAM really pulls one out of a hat. Remember how poorly Va Tech drew a few years ago. Tech must have lost a ton of money that day.

Guest YooperZip
I am doubtful that Army will even draw well next year unless UAM really pulls one out of a hat. Remember how poorly Va Tech drew a few years ago. Tech must have lost a ton of money that day.

Tech was more than a few years ago. I think we were the worst team in the country for quite some time when we played them....that's why it was a bad draw.

Pretty exciting football the last two games at the Rubber Bowl last year. I hope we got a few more people hooked. I think the Army game will be a good draw since we'll be 1-1 going into it. Though I like the Early OU Game (hope they are flat with the new coach out of the gate like we were), I would like to see the Can't game much earlier. Should be the first MAC game every year. If it is the 6th game and one or both teams have too many losses, that will hurt the rivalry and attendence. I like it early where it counts for a lot and gets both schools at each others throats. There has been a lot of progress made in the last two years getting the rivalry fired up again. Don't spoil it now.

We need to have at least one Major school each year and then fill out the rest of the OOC schedule with the Mountain West, WAC, or Sun Belt. No DI-AA and not more than 2 Majors a year. We need to get more W's under our belt, can't bite off more than we can chew. I thought the schedule this year was just about perfect.

ZIPS88, hey, if I offended you, mea culpa. There are way too many snide remarks cast on these boards. Asking if the Zips are afraid of playing MTSU sure sounded like a snide remark to me.

If I can presume, and I will, the MTSU, North Texas and Utah State contracts were all provisional so the Zips have future opponents. As better caliber or more meaningful games become available the contracts are cancelled and new contracts are drawn up with the (hopefully) improved opponent.

I agree with GP1 that any I-A opponent is preferable to any I-AA opponent. This applies only to the Zips in our current environment, i.e. a low-mid-major trying to break free of more than a decade in the pits of I-A football.

As for the home Virginia Tech game several years ago, the attendance was low not due to a lack of interest, but to hurricane Charolette. The Akron area received at least five inches of rain that day and evening. The game was played when many college football games were postponed or cancelled. I was at the game.

Personally, I find the new OOC schedule far more exciting than playing MTSU, North Texas or Utah State. While I would not travel to any of these schools to see the Zips play I certainly plan to attend an away game at Syracuse and Kentucky.

Why not keep our competition good and local! W/ Syracuse coming to town soon, doesn't this open the door to regular Big East matchups. Pitt, WvU, Cincinasty, would be great draws. Living in NC has made me aware of how this attendance thing works. Does anyone really think you can pack a stadium for DUKE football?? NO, Akron would be embarassed to lose to them. The majority of thier attendance comes from visiting teams like nearby Carolina, NCSt or VTech. Besides, we are more likeley to draw 1for1 matchups with them instead of say...... the 0for1 from the Big10little11, which amounts to a :nutkick: Let the TRUE big boys kick the shit out eachother for a while, and take our business elsewhere.

"If you can't set a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning"

Catherine Aird