Congrats to Shaka Smart

Quickzips

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/bask.../vcu/index.htmlMight we see a few more games against VCU in the future? They would be a really nice team to fill out the schedule with the next few seasons.
Shaka obvously knows the level of program that KD has constructed here, and the talent that is or may be arriving. He (Shaka) may decide to schedule elsewhere, at least over the next 4 years. After all, his name isn't Shaka Dumb :lol: OK, I just wanted to get my "stupid joke of the day" in there. This does have the makings for a terrific inter-sectional, mid-major rivalry. Let's hope it continues to build.

Shaka must have gotten a ringing endorsement from Billy Donovan and/or Anthony Grant. Grant coached on Donovan's staff for several years before getting the VCU job. The last two VCU HC's have gone on to bigger jobs after only a few successful seasons: Jeff Capel took the job at Oklahoma and has done great with a program that was on probation and now Grant is moving on to Alabama. It would suck to be a VCU alum/fan and have two HC's leave in the span of six (I think) years to move on to bigger programs. Not intentionally hijacking the thread - but the Siegel Center at the Alltel Pavilion (VCU's home) is an AWESOME place to watch hoops. It seats somewhere around 7,000 and there isn't a bad seat in the house.

Shaka must have gotten a ringing endorsement from Billy Donovan and/or Anthony Grant. Grant coached on Donovan's staff for several years before getting the VCU job. The last two VCU HC's have gone on to bigger jobs after only a few successful seasons: Jeff Capel took the job at Oklahoma and has done great with a program that was on probation and now Grant is moving on to Alabama. It would suck to be a VCU alum/fan and have two HC's leave in the span of six (I think) years to move on to bigger programs. Not intentionally hijacking the thread - but the Siegel Center at the Alltel Pavilion (VCU's home) is an AWESOME place to watch hoops. It seats somewhere around 7,000 and there isn't a bad seat in the house.
I remember that I used to e-mail Shaka for info late in the Hipsher days, and he always responded promptly with as much news as a maniac fan could ever expect. That's rare for a D-I program, even a mid-major. I know VCU made a good pick, and I look for them to continue their run. Especially with Larry Sanders on the tube. Hey Now!

I remember that I used to e-mail Shaka for info late in the Hipsher days, and he always responded promptly with as much news as a maniac fan could ever expect. That's rare for a D-I program, even a mid-major. I know VCU made a good pick, and I look for them to continue their run. Especially with Larry Sanders on the tube. Hidey Ho!?
Hello Zip fans! Yes we have hired Shaka Smart as our next head coach after Anthony Grant resigned to take the Head Coach position at the University of Alabama. Perhaps we may see more of each other although I know it's not standard policy for Coaches to play against their assistants. Not sure how Dambrot feels about that. It would be cool to see Zeke Marshall matchup against a very similar player in Larry Sanders! Anyway here's an article on the hire with some quotes from your very own coach. Thought you might like to read it. http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/co...-221608/245665/Take care and enjoy the offseason!

It's also fun to play teams that have good, knowledgable fans like DistrictBaller. By the way, here is a quote from the article from Keith Dambrot about Shaka Smart."He's the guy who was telling a middle-aged man [at Akron], 'Hey, stay the course. Take four-year guys. Don't take any high-risk guys.' There's not many young people in America today who take that approach. He just has an understanding of what it takes to be successful."While that is obviously the Dambrot philosophy, I just want to know which one of you guys he was referring to. :)

Hey, BALLER, congratulations on your fine new head coach.Fess up to ZipsNation and tell the gang just who was the first soul to "prop" Shaka on the VCU board ...!!!!
Yes, GoZips definitely gave us a glowing recommendation for Shaka! :) Hopefully he will be as good as his predecessors were. Congrats on the NCAA bid again! I was rooting for you all against Gonzaga and you put up a great fight for most of the game! I'm sure this is a glimpse of things to come soon! :)

• 13 years later...
On 3/31/2023 at 6:53 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

**** Shaka Smart and the horse he road in on.

I couldn't agree more.   I will never forgive Shaka Dumb for the pressing the Zips the entire game in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.  We lost our point guard, Alex Abreu two weeks prior and then the day of the game - seven Zips were sick with the flu or had food poisoning.  Shaka finally stopped pressing with less than a minute to go and up 40 points.  He did this to Keith Dambrot, who WAS allegedly his "best friend in coaching." 

Shaka is trash.

• Like 7