Transfer Portal

John Ward

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Bryce Wilson in the portal too. That loss has a little more impact than Fann, but he was relegated to a rotational player under Moorhead as well. I think we were all wanting some turnover on the OL and DL, and we are getting it. Looking forward to see who we can bring in...

He’ll probably land somewhere. Can’t blame him for looking elsewhere. We should have a pretty stout group at DT this year.

14 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Looks like punter Kyle Romenick is also in the portal. 

What's your theory on the reasoning for the recent wave of players entering? I would have thought most would have entered after post season meetings with the players, and thought those would have happened in December. Additionally from a player standpoint, you would think you want to enter before the new semester started so you could enroll and participate in spring ball at your new place.

18 minutes ago, LZIp said:

What's your theory on the reasoning for the recent wave of players entering? I would have thought most would have entered after post season meetings with the players, and thought those would have happened in December. Additionally from a player standpoint, you would think you want to enter before the new semester started so you could enroll and participate in spring ball at your new place.

Probably a different scenario for each individual, but I’d guess some are using “back channel connections” to try and find opportunities before entering the portal. A number of guys entering the portal will never play organized football again despite the information they are given. 

Scholarships are at a premium more so than ever, so guys waiting late to enter the portal seem to be at a disadvantage (unless they are elite players).

Edited by catdaddyp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

You know the OL transfer portal market is f'd when our 3rd or 4th best LT is getting offers from a Big 12 school. Developing this position group from within is vital.

Glad for Gray, but Houston must have some serious OL issues. You’re on target. Recruiting well and developing linemen from within is a must.

Just now, catdaddyp said:

Glad for Gray, but Houston must have some serious OL issues. You’re on target. Recruiting well and developing linemen from within is a must.

The only thing I can speculate is - 6' 9", 330 lbs is tantalizing for some coaches? There aren't many his size out there.

Xavior came a long way from topping 400 pounds and being relentlessly heckled as a high schooler. But was never remotely serviceable as a D-1 LT.

Could they possibly have offered him a scholarship? His feet are soooo...slooooow. 

7 hours ago, LZIp said:

You know the OL transfer portal market is f'd when our 3rd or 4th best LT is getting offers from a Big 12 school. Developing this position group from within is vital.

This only shows that Houston did not do their homework. God bless him if he can earn PT there.

On 3/22/2023 at 2:17 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

The only thing I can speculate is - 6' 9", 330 lbs is tantalizing for some coaches? There aren't many his size out there.

Xavior came a long way from topping 400 pounds and being relentlessly heckled as a high schooler. But was never remotely serviceable as a D-1 LT.

Could they possibly have offered him a scholarship? His feet are soooo...slooooow. 

It's probably the all too frequent combination of unrealized "potential" and a coach who feels he alone can unlock the player's true potential.  I still remember Hue Jackson raving about DeShone Kizer, Cody Kessler and RGIII and what he was going to do with them (nada).   This seems like a draft Manziel in the first-round reach.  Best of luck to him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Wiley in the TP

I’m assuming he is a grad transfer now and won’t have to sit a year. Odd to wait until the first day of spring practice to announce that decision. On the bright side, this should bode well for how the other RBs are performing.

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Kangaroo said:

I don’t remember him having one decent game. I wish him well, but…meh.

He came on along more towards the end of the season IIRC. A couple hundred yard + games without checking the stats. But if there's a position we could afford to lose a contributor, its probably running back. Not to mention due to the timing, there's a decent chance he's leaving due to him having an idea in what his playing time is going to look like, and that reason is hopefully Lorenzo Lingard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

He came on along more towards the end of the season IIRC. A couple hundred yard + games without checking the stats. But if there's a position we could afford to lose a contributor, its probably running back. Not to mention due to the timing, there's a decent chance he's leaving due to him having an idea in what his playing time is going to look like, and that reason is hopefully Lorenzo Lingard.

Good call. The OL actually game him some holes at the end of the season.

I hope Lingard makes an impact. I’ll keep my expectations low…he barely saw the field at RB during his long Florida stint.