Romeo Travis

zippy5

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

"Wire fraud" makes it sound worse than tax and child support evasion. Not good, but probably a case of over-charging.  IAC, Romeo hath doneth the wrong thing. 😥

Just now, Z.I.P. said:

"Wire fraud" makes it sound worse than tax and child support evasion. Not good, but probably a case of over-charging.  IAC, Romeo hath doneth the wrong thing. 😥

He was charged though an information which means: 1) he is cooperating and 2) usually part of that cooperation is pleading to it.  If so, hard to argue it was overcharged when he's essentially agreeing to it.

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

He was charged though an information which means: 1) he is cooperating and 2) usually part of that cooperation is pleading to it.  If so, hard to argue it was overcharged when he's essentially agreeing to it.

Not a legal pro. 😉  Never heard of "charged through information" before.  So his agent is the target, I presume...

16 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd agree that "Wire Fraud" certainly has a scarier sound to it than it often actually is.  👍

Whenever you see the words "Federal Prosecutor", you need to be scared and he should be scared. The wire fraud charge along carries up to a 25 year prison sentence. The second, five years. Essentially, he falsified his income and then transmitted that falsification to be used to present evidence in front of a judge. The only thing judges hate more than liars are stupid liars who lie to them. There is a good chance Travis is going to spend some time as guest of the Federal government.  If the judge has any mercy, his time spent in Russia will be considered time spent in prison and that time will be equal to his sentence.  

He cheated on this taxes and on his child support and got caught.  By going through an information it looks like he is cooperating and will probably pay back taxes, a fine, and back child support.  A terrible look for a coach to cheat on his taxes.  Even worse to cheat your child out of support.   I believe he will probably lose his job.  However, if he is cooperating I doubt if he does any prison time depending on the circumstances.  His agent might have told him everyone does it this way and persuaded him to alter the contracts.  That is probably the best case scenario and a judge may be lenient if the agent is the more culpable of the two. 

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

His agent might have told him everyone does it this way and persuaded him to alter the contracts. 

Or, he played with another scam artist who did the same thing. Maybe it's common for Americans playing in Europe. 

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

If you read the charges carefully, he may still have a state court problem for lying to the court to get reduced child support payments. 

My guess if the feds pursue this, the State prosecutors will leave him alone.  There's nothing to gain by going after him twice for essentially the same crime.

• 2 weeks later...

Romeo pleads guilty, owes $375K in restitution and faces faces between 15 and 21 months in prison when he’s sentenced.

https://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/2023/03/ex-akron-basketball-star-romeo-travis-pleads-guilty-to-federal-fraud-charges-owes-nearly-375000-in-restitution.html

Edited by clarkwgriswold

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

Romeo pleads guilty, owes $375K in restitution and faces faces between 15 and 21 months in prison when he’s sentenced.

https://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/2023/03/ex-akron-basketball-star-romeo-travis-pleads-guilty-to-federal-fraud-charges-owes-nearly-375000-in-restitution.html

Waiting for LeBron, in ...1...2... 🤔

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I know a guy who spent time in the Federal minimum security prison in Morgantown, WV. It basically didn't have a fence around it. Maybe RT can go there. He'll be the best basketball player and maybe the captain of the team. 

On 3/21/2023 at 4:56 PM, GP1 said:

I know a guy who spent time in the Federal minimum security prison in Morgantown, WV. It basically didn't have a fence around it. Maybe RT can go there. He'll be the best basketball player and maybe the captain of the team. 

Maybe we can schedule them over X-mas Break instead of Arkansas Pine Bluff of the Mississippi Vallet State Delta Devils?

• 8 months later...