Week 5: BUGS

Blue & Gold

Nice win to end the streak. Arth needed this one. This win was expected as Akron were favorites in this game. Almost half of BGSU roster were true freshman.

A couple discussion points..

1. Defense: Bubba set the tone on defense as a true leader with his consistency and playmaking ability. Let’s get him some help in 2021. Should the staff bring in multiple defensive ready to play juco/ P5 transfer players or continue to build the freshman route?

2. QB: Zach Gibson. Is he our future or do we need to bring in help? Sub-par performance today against a bad team. I’m guessing Kato is moving on from Akron.

3. Offense/ Run: was executed well today as expected. Teon had a nice game. Boogie looked really good on his lonesome drive. Why don’t they share touches or play Boogie in the slot sometimes? He looks like he could help us. We saw a glimpse of RBBC in week 1 against western Michigan. 

4. Offense / pass: a few nice plays by the WRs. Stewart needs to be more involved. Need to be more creative with play calls to keep D off balance and get playmakers involved. Mix in occasional shot play. Good teams will stack box and make Gibson beat you ( Miami week 4). 

5. 4th Quarter: I disagree with leaving Teon in the game. The game was decided and the weather was ugly. It was almost like they were trying to pad his stats. If he is our future, we need to take care of him. Let’s mix in backups and young players for the last couple drives. 

Great day to be a Zips fan! Let’s build off of this for 2021

Edited by Zippy1986
  • Like 1

That was about the best thing I have seen in 2020.  It should not have been that much fun streaming it on my phone, but it was.   The kids came to play and definitely have not quit on Arth.  I am so happy that they don't have to spend the off season hearing about the L streak.  

Edited by Zip JD
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 2:50 PM, zipsoutsider said:

That is hilarious.

Zero reason to have any hope for this unless other teams are canceling their season.

I laughed all afternoon, and I do not think that BGSU cancelled their season.  Oh well, I think that the zipsoutsider needs to stay out of the discussion going forward.

I've seen some talk elsewhere about BG having 60 freshman and giving them time/using that to excuse the loss. Its not like we have 58. Feels good to be ahead of them at this point in the rebuild. Lot of similarities regarding the current state of each program.