2022 Zips in The Pros

• 2 weeks later...

It’s tough having to watch the closest MLS team vie for one of the final 2022 MLS Cup playoff spots, but I can’t be upset when another of our ZipsMSoc alum and his team qualify. Congratulations to DeAndre Yedlin and Inter Miami on clinching a playoff spot last night. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Columbus Crew announce the professional retirement of former US YNT Captain and 2010 freshman all-America Perry Kitchen.  One of the steadiest central mids I've ever had the pleasure of watching.  #2 pick in the 2011 Superdraft, following a national championship season for Caleb Porter's Akron Zips. 🌟  Enjoy the sunset and a new sunrise 🌅 , Legend!

https://www.columbuscrew.com/news/columbus-crew-announces-end-of-2022-roster-decisions

• Like 2

We'll never forget Perry's game-tying goal vs Michigan in the 2010 College Cup semifinal on the way to the National Championship...1st up in the highlights below.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

We'll never forget Perry's game-tying goal vs Michigan in the 2010 College Cup semifinal on the way to the National Championship...1st up in the highlights below.

In December 2010 Perry Kitchen, hardly known for netting points, scored Arguably the most dramatic goal in Zips MSOC history.  What a titanic blast!

Apologies to Adam Najem 2015.

59 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

In December 2010 Perry Kitchen, hardly known for netting points, scored Arguably the most dramatic goal in Zips MSOC history.  What a titanic blast!

To be quite honest, I really felt Darlington Nagbe's go-ahead and game-winning goal before halftime was the finest goal of that Friday night!  🏆

4 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

To be quite honest, I really felt Darlington Nagbe's go-ahead and game-winning goal before halftime was the finest goal of that Friday night!  🏆

??? Kofi Sarkodie scored the only other Zips' goal (game winner) in that game v Michigan.

Edited by Zip_ME87

On 10/26/2022 at 10:23 PM, fknbuflobo said:

How about any of these Elite 8 goals....

Colin Biros 2018 at Stanford?

Niko de Vera 2017 PK v Loserville. (sorry Will Meyer)?

Adam Najem 2015  golden goal v Creighton as you mentioned?

Kofi Sarkodie 2010 PK v Cal in the snow the previous weekend? 

or

National Championship Scotty Caldwell 2010 v Loserville?

Lots of great memories and more to come ... THANKS ZIPS!!!

Edited by Zip_ME87

6 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

IPerry Kitchen, hardly known for netting points,

https://gozips.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/perry-kitchen/2042

as a Freshman (2010): Soccer America Freshman First Team ... also College Soccer News and Top Drawer Soccer Freshman All-American ... called into the January U.S. national team camp ... All-MAC First Team ... appeared in all 25 games as the Zips' starting defensive midfielder ... finished with six goals, including a game-winner against Cal State Northridge (Sept. 17) ... also added one assist ... scored long-range goals against Cal in the NCAA quarterfinal (Dec. 4) and against Michigan in the NCAA semifinal (Dec. 10).

Pretty good for a defensive midfielder!

Edited by Zip_ME87

That goal against Michigan by Perry was unbelievable. Going down 1-0 early in that game was a gut punch, and to even it up prior to the half was HUGE.  

Side note: that year (2010), I had my cousin in the family gift exchange. He was a budding Akron fan, and enjoyed their soccer program. I ended up taking a ball to a game and someone on the team was kind enough to take the ball into the locker room and have the entire team (I believe including coaches) sign the ball. Little did anyone know that I'd be giving a signed ball by National Champions that year as a gift. Nagbe, Kitchen, Kofi, Gavin, Caldwell, Mattocks, etc. That is the college soccer equivalent of a signed football from practically any Saban-coached Alabama squad. One of the greatest teams ever to grace the sport. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

??? Kofi Sarkodie scored the only other Zips' goal (game winner) in that game v Michigan.

All these years, standing there about 30 yds out in the stands I always thought that was Nagbe's head on the ball!  I never read the papers or watched TV that night!  Thanks to Zip_ME87 for clearing up my mind.  I looked at the highlights and couldn't tell who it was... Doh!  Nice play Kofie! 😂

https://www.independent.com/2010/12/11/college-cup-louisville-akron-set-sunday-final/

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 9:48 PM, malonepioneer12 said:

Recruiting coordinator, assistant coach….anything to get another former MLS player in Akron 

How about Woman's Coach - I know all of you will say "Oh, give Jen a chance!"  I did.  I know she doesn't have the talent, but other than 1 surprising game this season, doesn't have a clue re: D1 womens soccer.  We'll see how the recruiting process goes, but I can't see a former D3 coach shining in that aspect either.  If you don't understand the level of play, how can you recruit to it?

Article about DeA being selected to World Cup team  and Richie being selected to world cup team

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/2022/11/09/usmnt-roster-reveal-2022-world-cup-deandre-yedlin-akron-zips-soccer/69632295007/

Akron coach Jared Embick, who was an assistant for Yedlin and head coach for Laryea, was all smiles when he heard the news.

“There’s a lot of pride for the program and it proves the college route is still a viable option,” Embick said. “DeAndre has done a fantastic job since he’s left. You always have pride when you have worked with anybody and they get to represent your country.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 7:44 AM, zippy-claws said:

How about Woman's Coach - I know all of you will say "Oh, give Jen a chance!"  I did.  I know she doesn't have the talent, but other than 1 surprising game this season, doesn't have a clue re: D1 womens soccer.  We'll see how the recruiting process goes, but I can't see a former D3 coach shining in that aspect either.  If you don't understand the level of play, how can you recruit to it?

If you're going to have a Division 3 coach, you could certainly do worse than U. of Chicago's Juliane Sitch!  😘🤩

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/35177051/uchicago-julianne-sitch-first-woman-coach-ncaa-men-soccer-team-title

• Thanks 1