Position Preview (and updates) - Quarterback

catdaddyp

Had a chance to chat with JoMo at the golf outing today. Irons is the #1 QB out of spring practice, but that is subject to change. He likens his preference at qb to be like a point guard. He wants the QB  to distribute the ball to the play makers all over the field. He values good decision making and no turnovers over splashy individual play making.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 3/31/2022 at 10:16 AM, catdaddyp said:

Since we don’t receive as much news as we should from the Akron outlets, I’m going to do a position by position preview of the roster. All of the previews will be based on my opinion of the player fit within the new schemes, the games I watched on tv last year, and any film I can find online. Feel free to jump in and say where I may have missed something.

DJ Irons - (Redshirt Junior, Returning) - Irons exited spring ball as the clear #1 QB. He has pro style height, a strong arm, and flashes ample ability to be a weapon in the run game. He’s the ideal QB for a Moorhead offense. As with all QBs, the question will be how quickly he can pick up the mental aspects of the offense and then apply them to the field. JUCO FILM

Ryan Jankowski - (Sophomore, Returning) - Left handed QB, who demonstrates excellent pocket awareness. He doesn’t seem to possess as much natural arm strength as some of the other QBs on the roster and his throwing motion is inconsistent. He exited spring ball as the top backup. HS FILM

Dijon Jennings - (Freshman, New) - Great athlete and very elusive. Jennings would most likely develop into a dynamic wide receiver if the QB position didn’t work out. His throwing motion is inconsistent, but he flashes the ability to keep plays alive with his feet. Did not enroll early and go through spring ball. HS FILM

Jeff Undercuffler - (Redshirt Junior, New) - Transfer from FCS Albany. Undercuffler is tall with a pro-style frame, displays a nice touch on his passes, and throws a catchable ball. He can throw the deep ball and has enough power to push the ball downfield, but doesn’t necessarily have the biggest arm as his strength is in throwing passes that are 20 yards and in. He’s a limited runner, so the designed QB options will have to be minimized when he’s in the game. Undercuffler transferred in after the spring. Albany FILM

As mentioned before spring practice, it’s not surprising we had a QB transfer out and another transfer in. Undercuffler is being brought in to compete for starting minutes with Irons. Irons has a leg up in the offense, but if anything hinders him it would likely be his inconsistency. I think Irons will be the man for 2022, but it’s a long season and depth is paramount.

Added:

Jeff Undercuffler

Removed:

Calvin Cloud

Joey Marousek

Bump for updates and fresh links to Rivals profiles and highlight films. WR, DL, and OL are also updated.

On 5/25/2022 at 6:23 AM, LZIp said:

I think Irons is talented (and definitely the system guy). He just has to be more consistent than last season and stay healthy. If Undercuffler gets a chance during the season..which I think he will whether it be a blowout, Irons injury, or Irons bench, its hard to tell where it goes from there. He may come in and light it up like he did his freshman season or he may not quite be ready for FBS ball.

No matter what, we took a big step up in QB depth even though Undercuffler may not be the ideal system QB.

Anyone have any info surrounding the QB room? Is there a competition here?

Irons has athletic ability/spring camp, Dijon has speed, and Undercuffler has put up numbers in the FCS (2x All American).

Obviously, injuries are a concern every time you step on the field (Irons-finger?) -- but in terms of on-field play -- heard somewhere that offense will be flexible? Does that open the door to JU or Jankowski? Think the RB room can carry the Q's if need be.

Go Zips.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, zipsalum85 said:

Anyone have any info surrounding the QB room? Is there a competition here?

Irons has athletic ability/spring camp, Dijon has speed, and Undercuffler has put up numbers in the FCS (2x All American).

Obviously, injuries are a concern every time you step on the field (Irons-finger?) -- but in terms of on-field play -- heard somewhere that offense will be flexible? Does that open the door to JU or Jankowski? Think the RB room can carry the Q's if need be.

Go Zips.

I’m assuming QB1 is between Irons and Undercuffler. Both bring different skill sets to the position, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I’d be concerned if Jankowski or Jennings saw meaningful minutes in 2022.

It sounds like the offense will mostly work out of 11 personnel sets (1 TE, 1 RB) and we’ll see a heavy dose of inside zone regardless of who the QB is. If Irons, probably see more RPOs and QB reads. If Undercuffler, we’ll probably see more screens, bubbles, and things of that nature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

I’m assuming QB1 is between Irons and Undercuffler. Both bring different skill sets to the position, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I’d be concerned if Jankowski or Jennings saw meaningful minutes in 2022.

It sounds like the offense will mostly work out of 11 personnel sets (1 TE, 1 RB) and we’ll see a heavy dose of inside zone regardless of who the QB is. If Irons, probably see more RPOs and QB reads. If Undercuffler, we’ll probably see more screens, bubbles, and things of that nature.

If the types of plays Irons and Undercuffer would run are obvious to you, they are probably just as obvious to our opponents. Maybe we should play Jankowski and Jennings to introduce some uncertainty into our offensive strategy.

• Haha 2

• catdaddyp changed the title to Position Preview (and updates) - Quarterback
Just now, catdaddyp said:

I’m going back through the position groups and adding “star rating take” for all the players. Using Rivals formula I’m re-rating the players to what they should have been according to their college production. 

Dude, you're amazing!

And now that the Zips basketball season is over I'm beginning to itch for some Zips football again!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Blue & Gold said:

Dude, you're amazing!

And now that the Zips basketball season is over I'm beginning to itch for some Zips football again!

Thanks, I appreciate all of your thoughts and contributions as well!

I’m excited about the upcoming season and confident this will be a breakthrough year. I’ve seen this scenario play out time and time again. The only thing that really surprised me is the amount of close games we lost last year and the fashion in which they happened. I guess the bright side to that is we could potentially triple (or more) last season’s win total and receive national recognition.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

The only thing that really surprised me is the amount of close games we lost last year and the fashion in which they happened.

Indeed. I had my heart ripped out a handful of times last season 😩😂

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

Here’s some film on newcomer Tahj Bullock. Most of it is practice film, but there are a few game highlights at the beginning. There’s a lot to like as Bullock is a true dual threat quarterback. He throws a really nice deep ball and has the ability to make most throws when he has time, as seen in his practice film. If I’m going to nitpick, he tends to push the ball out on the shorter routes and isn’t quite as fluid there. 

So much of playing QB is mental, so it’s not always easy to know who will pan out, but Bullock certainly has the physical traits. It’s going to be fun watching these guys develop. Hard to believe the depth in the QB room (and team in general) now versus when JoeMo arrived.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Irons has been for off the starters  list for months.  You guys claim to have such great incite  to ZIPS football but are star struck by a mediocre QB.  Glad we will move on from Irons.  Hope he gets a degree and can tell his grandkids about his great career at UA.

30 minutes ago, ZZZips said:

Irons has been for off the starters  list for months.  You guys claim to have such great incite  to ZIPS football but are star struck by a mediocre QB.  Glad we will move on from Irons.  Hope he gets a degree and can tell his grandkids about his great career at UA.

If you have a direct connection to the program, I’d like to hear more. I’ve never claimed to have a direct connection. Instead I go off of my previous experiences and what coach Moorhead has said at pressers. Care to expand on the Irons situation?

I have no inside knowledge, just my opinion, but I think Bullock will be good competition for Irons, but Irons gets the nod if healthy or unless Bullock is looking amazing. At the very least we have depth which is a great thing.

Need to keep in mind he suffered a pretty gruesome looking (and serious) injury to his throwing shoulder last year. Irons seems pretty polarizing on this board for whatever reason, but I like him while being able to recognize he makes some head scratching throws and needs to throw the ball away sometimes. May the best man win.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

I have no inside knowledge, just my opinion, but I think Bullock will be good competition for Irons, but Irons gets the nod if healthy or unless Bullock is looking amazing. At the very least we have depth which is a great thing.

Need to keep in mind he suffered a pretty gruesome looking (and serious) injury to his throwing shoulder last year. Irons seems pretty polarizing on this board for whatever reason, but I like him while being able to recognize he makes some head scratching throws and needs to throw the ball away sometimes. May the best man win.

Yeah, I've also never claimed to have insight into the internal world of the Zips. Goodness Irons is a touchy topic on here...

I agree with you, I like Irons, but it's no secret he can make questionable decisions. However, he seems like a good kid and I'd like to see him walk away from his Zips career with a winning season of some sort. I know hes not perfect, but heaven forbid me as a fan want to see him do well, not only for the sake of the team, but him. Wow, the horror. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 5:24 AM, monrowe said:

Does JD Brookhart’s son Johnny play QB for the Zips?

Four questions.................

Why are all you guys(with and without insider knowledge of the Zips football team) ducking monrowe's question?

Is Johnny really JD's son?

If Johnny does play for the Zips, why isn't he listed on the roster?

Why hasn't catdaddyp posted a detailed player bio on Johnny?  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Why are all you guys(with and without insider knowledge of the Zips football team) ducking monrowe's question?

Is Johnny really JD's son?

If Johnny does play for the Zips, why isn't he listed on the roster?

Why hasn't catdaddyp posted a detailed player bio on Johnny?  

Is Johnny really JD's son? Yes

If Johnny does play for the Zips, why isn't he listed on the roster? The roster hasn’t been updated yet showing freshman.

Why hasn't catdaddyp posted a detailed player bio onJohnny?  ??