Position Preview (and updates) - Running Back

catdaddyp

56 minutes ago, AKSportsFan said:

Many were high on Norrils but he never played. Was there off-field issues? Clearly wasn't a top back? Coaches want "their guys" getting PT? 

at 500 ards on the season we didn't have our star running back. Surprised he didn't get game reps with the lack of production with Wiley and Price

If I had to guess, this is a good example of the Arth Talent Gap at work. Norrils was much better in a far worse RB room. Same reason Anthony Williams barely saw the field either at RB or WR. 

• catdaddyp changed the title to Position Preview (and updates) - Running Back

Well I am once again sad to say I am the bearer of bad news, but it is believed that Clyde Price has torn his ACL. It has not been confirmed as he still needs more imaging but it is said to be around a 95% chance that he tore it. Was a contact injury, not much you can do there and definitely a big blow to the team. But with that being said if there was any room to have a season ending injury it would be the RBs. 

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs down 1

8 hours ago, GoZips4824 said:

Well I am once again sad to say I am the bearer of bad news, but it is believed that Clyde Price has torn his ACL. It has not been confirmed as he still needs more imaging but it is said to be around a 95% chance that he tore it. Was a contact injury, not much you can do there and definitely a big blow to the team. But with that being said if there was any room to have a season ending injury it would be the RBs. 

The Zips don't have too many positions where the loss of one player would reduce the room by 20%.

16 hours ago, GoZips4824 said:

Hate to hear that. I hope his recovery goes as smoothly as possible.

On 4/25/2023 at 8:26 PM, GoZips4824 said:

A review of the current MAC football rosters suggests the coaches at NIU and Kent are most likely to share your opinion.

Team      # of RBs on roster

Ohio                     8

Miami                   8

Ball                       7

BGSU                   7

CMU                     7

Toledo                  7

Buffalo                 6

EMU                     6

WMU                    5

NIU                       4

Kent                      3

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

A review of the current MAC football rosters suggests the coaches at NIU and Kent are most likely to share your opinion.

Ohio                     8

Miami                   8

Ball                       7

BGSU                   7

CMU                     7

Toledo                  7

Buffalo                 6

EMU                     6

WMU                    5

NIU                       4

Kent                      3

I’m not sure how many of those are on scholarship. Most FBS schools carry 4-5 scholarship RBs. 6 is usually the max unless the school has a run heavy offense. I think we were at 5 last year (A. Williams moved to WR), but then bumped to 6 once Hester was put on scholarship.

Kent is currently slotted to bring in 4 more RBs - 2 freshmen and 2 transfers. Although I’m not sure what kind of offense they will run or if they plan to keep all of those guys at RB. Or if they are all on scholarship. Burns was a RB himself and also coached RBs for a large portion of his coaching career, so maybe he prefers more?

NIU added a RB from the portal, so that should put them at 5. (Somewhat interesting note) Flowers, the incoming NIU RB, played at Irmo HS in South Carolina. Irmo HS is Dutch Fork HS rival where our own DiMarco Johnson played.

Edited by catdaddyp

See below for more programs with scads of RBs.

What’s my point? The Zips current roster includes a dangerously low number of RBs.

Few, or no, teams make it through a season without getting a couple, or more, RBs at least dinged up.

Nebraska             11

Michigan              10

Columbus Tech     8

Michigan St.          7

Indiana                  7

Wisconsin             6

Iowa                      6

Minnesota            6

Northwestern      6

Purdue                 6

Maryland              6

Rutgers                6

Illinois                   5

Penn St.               5

Edited by Zipmeister

20 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

See below for more programs with scads of RBs.

What’s my point? The Zips current roster includes a dangerously low number of RBs.

Few, or no, teams make it through a season without getting a couple, or more, RBs at least dinged up.

Nebraska             11

Michigan              10

Columbus Tech     8

Michigan St.          7

Indiana                  7

Wisconsin             6

Iowa                      6

Minnesota            6

Northwestern      6

Purdue                 6

Maryland              6

Rutgers                6

Illinois                   5

Penn St.               5

To add a little more context to this that may or may not be useful. All 5 of Illinois’ current RBs are on scholarship, but Bielema will probably add one or two more walk-ons to the position. He is a big proponent of walk-ons as he was originally one himself and in essence uses walk-ons as a way to fill in for the inevitable misses in recruiting.

I know they aren’t mentioned here, but South Carolina currently has 3 scholarship RBs (one of them was transitioned from WR in the spring) and 5 walk-on RBs. However, they have an incoming freshman RB and will take another portal RB to get to the 5 scholarship RBs that Beamer prefers.

I can’t speak to any of the other teams on this list as I haven’t followed them as closely, this offseason, as Illinois and Carolina.

Edited by catdaddyp

• 3 weeks later...