Akron City FC

Congratulations to Akron City FC for the win in their first game last night. 

Great to see a number of Zips and former Zips in the match. Shoutouts to Cam Victor in goal and Jaden Wright for providing all of Akron City FC’s scoring. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I haven't followed the minor leagues in a long time. Probably since Mike Sweeney had the USISL Cleveland Caps back in the 90's. 

Is this considered pro minor league, or can a college player compete on Akron FC without jeopardizing their college soccer eligibility?

6 minutes ago, Spin said:

I haven't followed the minor leagues in a long time. Probably since Mike Sweeney had the USISL Cleveland Caps back in the 90's. 

Is this considered pro minor league, or can a college player compete on Akron FC without jeopardizing their college soccer eligibility?

I don't really know how it works, but I think we had a couple of players on the team last year, didn't we?  Maybe they don't get paid & are just on the team to stay in shape during the summer?

2 hours ago, Spin said:

College players play on these teams for development, without getting paid. Many of our players have played on these teams in the past and retain their eligibility. Will Portman, Renato Kauzleric, and Levi Stephens played for Akron City FC in summer 2022 and then played for the Zips in the Fall. Cam Victor and Jaden Wright also played with Akron City FC in Summer 2022 then went onto play at the schools to which they transferred.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 goals scored after Akron City FC went down to 10 men in the 23rd minute due to a straight red card.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3