Zips Baseball 2023

Spin

Marshall is a member of the Sun Belt Conference, but they aren't and haven't been listed on the SBC website. Maybe I'm missing something. They don't have a schedule posted for 2023, but do have Greg Beals listed as head coach. The conference doesn't have a schedule posted yet.

Sounds like they got their crap together. 

12 hours ago, Spin said:

Marshall is a member of the Sun Belt Conference, but they aren't and haven't been listed on the SBC website. Maybe I'm missing something. They don't have a schedule posted for 2023, but do have Greg Beals listed as head coach. The conference doesn't have a schedule posted yet.

Sounds like they got their crap together. 

Beals isn't listed on Marshall's website. He hasn't even been approved yet by the BOG. There is a special meeting 1/5/23 at 9AM though, most likely to address this and probably approve a contract.

I hate this is happening to Akron. If you've ever seen my posts I post 99% of the soccer portion of the board and should know Ive always rooted for the Zips in soccer except for when playing the Herd. I do hope all of those who have committed to Akron stays a commit. Ive always hated seeing someone follow a coach somewhere when a coach moves even though most kids commit to the coach and not the school.

You should be in good hands with Coach Donnelly he was at Marshall as an asst for 10 years from 2006 TO 2016 and recruited a lot of Marshall's best players in that time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are correct, he is not listed on the Herd website. I saw him listed but I probably wondered off the college site. 

Is this Marshall Baseball's first season in the SBC for baseball? I don't see them in last years standings, and I can't find schedules for spring sports on either website.

Everything I have seen and heard about Coach Donnelly tells me he is a huge improvement over our previous "Spuds". I'm still excited about Zips Baseball. And best of luck to the Herd (with the exception of May 10th 😉)

Edited by Spin

51 minutes ago, Spin said:

You are correct, he is not listed on the Herd website. I saw him listed but I probably wondered off the college site. 

Is this Marshall Baseball's first season in the SBC for baseball? I don't see them in last years standings, and I can't find schedules for spring sports on either website.

Everything I have seen and heard about Coach Donnelly tells me he is a huge improvement over our previous "Spuds". I'm still excited about Zips Baseball. And best of luck to the Herd (with the exception of May 10th 😉)

Yes, Marshall become a Sun Belt member on July 1, 2022. The 22-23 season is Marshall's first year in the Sun Belt. Marshall is getting ready to ramp up construction on a new stadium, that is going to be about 50 years overdue. Jack Cook who coached at Marshall from 1967 to 1990 was promised a stadium when he took over.

Even Marshall has their detractors. Some still ask why Marshall actually needs a stadium. I just point to Hoops Family field, Marshall's soccer stadium and say "Thats why". Those same people thought giving a program who had 12 winning seasons from 1979 to 2012 was dumb. Well in 8 years that stadium with the right coach produced a national championship. Im not saying baseball can do the same with a title but with a coach that knows what they are doing plus a new facility to do it with then Im positive Marshall can have more than one winning season in 16 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

How poorly written was Greg Beals contract that this could happen?

Not any different than any other coaches contract. Even though he was not making the same $$ he made at OSU, the $95k we were paying him made the 4th highest paid coach in the MAC. Guthrie has put a lot of effort into the baseball program. We are now back to the full scholarship level and the silly rule about only recruiting from Ohio has been dropped. Beals knew exactly what he was signing up for when he put his name on that contract. He and the Marshall AD are just scumbags. At the end of the day UA is financially better off than when he got here after he pays the buyout.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2023 at 10:14 AM, BigGreenTruck said:

Some still ask why Marshall actually needs a stadium.

How many kids want to play D1 college ball on a high school diamond? How many fans (especially family members) want to visit a field a lot of high schools wouldn't allow? Thank you again Mr. Steeles for recognizing that when helping bring the program back. And retaining the lawn chair section along the third base side, and the elevated mound around the outfield. I spend time in each section, especially during double headers.

Edited by Spin

6 hours ago, Spin said:

How many kids want to play D1 college ball on a high school diamond? How many fans (especially family members) want to visit a field a lot of high schools wouldn't allow? Thank you again Mr. Steeles for recognizing that when helping bring the program back. And retaining the lawn chair section along the third base side, and the elevated mound around the outfield. I spend time in each section, especially during double headers.

When there is a nice crowd present it's a great atmosphere. The lawn chairs & blankets along the 3rd baseline & circling the outfield look pretty cool. (As I type that it sounds tongue-in-cheek, but it's not. I guess you've got to see it in person.)

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

If I stayed in one place, I'd carry a folding chair in and out instead of sitting in the stands. I'm showing my age saying "lawn chair". 😎

One place I hang out is the bullpen area later in the game. The interactions between the players can be entertaining.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new era of Zips baseball starts this weekend Cullowhee, NC as we take on the Western Carolina Catamount. They're looking at temps in the 50's with a chance of rain Friday morning. The games are on ESPN+.

PLAY BALL!!! 

Edited by Spin
  • Like 2

Zips split the series against Western Carolina this weekend. Strong showing, much better than I expected with the turmoil over the winter. Apparently this is proof Spuds WAS the problem. 

Next up another weekend roadie to Dixieland to play 3 against Elon.

The weekday games start up on mid-March against Dayton, Michigan, the Worthless Nuts, and old rivals Marshall and Youngstown State.

come on spring!!!

• Like 2