Northern Illinois - Home game on Sunday October 2nd

since I proved the other day...that I could not correctly type the name of 8 teams

and I completely lost the faith of Letsgopzips, I am just going to include a link to the NIU schedule

they have a record of 3-3-3

go zips.com.....shows that this game will be on ESPN Plus !!!  (hallelujah )

below, the NIU schedule, I have included a link to the MAC schedule page

Western Michigan hosts Chicago State Sunday at 1 pm.  By the time that the zips and the huskies take the field, Western Michigan will likely be 3-0 in the MAC.

of their first 4 MAC games, this game against Northern Illinois is their only MAC home game of the first 4 .  After hosting NIU, the zips must travel to BGSU, Chicago State and Western Michigan.      The zips must come out motivated.....and they must protect their home turf at all costs.    

https://niuhuskies.com/sports/mens-soccer/schedule/2022

https://getsomemaction.com/calendar.aspx?path=msoc&season=2022

• Haha 2

• TennZip changed the title to Northern Illinois - Home game on Sunday October 2nd

This was the wise and safe decision. 

As we found out last year, the MAC is no longer a cake walk for us to win easily. Every MAC game matters as much as the gauntlet that was the first part of our schedule. Stay focused, and we can go undefeated in MAC play. Lose focus, like we saw against OSUcks, Pitt, Penn State, etc., and we'll be putting ourselves in holes that we may not be able to get out of. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This was the wise and safe decision. 

As we found out last year, the MAC is no longer a cake walk for us to win easily. Every MAC game matters as much as the gauntlet that was the first part of our schedule. Stay focused, and we can go undefeated in MAC play. Lose focus, like we saw against OSUcks, Pitt, Penn State, etc., and we'll be putting ourselves in holes that we may not be able to get out of. 

good post....

every year, they do seem to have one horrible clunker at home.    Last year, it was a saturday night home game against one of the Georgia teams.    Zips are 0-3 in the last 2 years against NIU.    Zips must come out and dominate on Sunday night.    Zips must be 1-0.....when they go play at BGSU.

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

good post....

every year, they do seem to have one horrible clunker at home.    Last year, it was a saturday night home game against one of the Georgia teams.    Zips are 0-3 in the last 2 years against NIU.    Zips must come out and dominate on Sunday night.    Zips must be 1-0.....when they go play at BGSU.

Now you're just trying too hard to get back in good graces. Haha. 

Full heartedly agree, though, that this is a must win. Every MAC game is a must win, especially given our recent lack-of-domination in this pathetic excuse for a conference. 

This afternoon result

Western Michigan 7

Chicago State     1

that means that Akron is 2nd in the MAC.. going into tonight 

western Michigan 3-0

2.  Akron 0-0

tie for 3rd

bowling green, Northern Illinois and Chicago State are all 0-1

2 minutes ago, TennZip said:

western Michigan 3-0

2.  Akron 0-0

tie for 3rd

bowling green, Northern Illinois and Chicago State are all 0-1

All having lost to WMU

Huge shout out to #6 Sammy Tojaga who, in this game, looked like he hasn't missed a beat! As @TennZipalready stated, so happy to have Sammy back in the starting lineup and getting significant, well-played minutes.

Shout out to #23 Joel Sangwa who is a stalwart on defense. Making good decisions and rarely going back to the Keeper...keeping the defense out of trouble.

Shout outs to #11 Will Jackson who has stepped in beautifully at CB and #27 Ashton Kamdem for his play at LB.

Shout out to #5 Malik Henry whose speed and agility opened up play.

Shout out to #4 to Jonas Buechte and his many great decisions and steady play.

Agree with malonepioneer on shout outs to #7 Josh Hallenberger, #8 Ryan Kingsford, and #19 Dyson Clapier.

Shout outs to #1 GK Mitch Budler, #13 Joey Paulus, #9 Jason Shokalook, #15 Johnny Fitzgerald, and #16 Wan Kuzri Wan Kamal.

Shout outs to all of our players who came in and played well giving the starters needed rest.

Commanding victory thanks to GREAT TEAM EFFORT!!! Let's keep this going!!! GO ZIPS!!!

• Like 2

AKR 4-1 NIU FT

Zips score own goal in last 90 seconds to ruin Budler’s clean sheet. Contest not as close as score. Captain Sammy Tojaga returned to starting lineup after (2?) years recovering from injury.

I, for one, am glad to no longer see the Markanich brothers in Huskie attire.  Those guys were a handful.

We haven't been clicking like that offensively since Guywon Chong was leg swept -v- Michigan State.

Did Sam Tojaga fill Guywon Chong's vacated position?  

Maybe Sammy was the piece we were lacking?

Last night's game was so completely one-sided I couldn't tell if we were that good or if NIU was that bad.  Complete, utter domination.  When our starters were in we were making NIU look like a high school team.  A true no-doubter.

Shout out to local product #13 Joseph Paulus who had, IMO, the most impressive of the 4 goals - a true rocket shot off his left foot from 8-yards out.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Shout out to local product #13 Joseph Paulus who had, IMO, the most impressive of the 4 goals - a true rocket shot off his left foot from 8-yards out.

👍

Guywon Chong and Sam Tojaga are very different players playing different positions.  The similarity is that they each bring stability to the Midfield.

It is heartwarming to have Sammy back.  I eagerly anticipate Guywon’s return next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2022 at 7:24 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Last night's game was so completely one-sided I couldn't tell if we were that good or if NIU was that bad.  Complete, utter domination.  When our starters were in we were making NIU look like a high school team.  A true no-doubter.

Sunday's match was the first live action that I have seen since the Rubber Bowl.  I was over stunned! The speed, precision, total dominance.  I kept wondering, "were we that good, or was Northern that bad."  That totally soothed Saturday's pain!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1