Game 1- South Dakota State

clarkwgriswold

Just now, Z.I.P. said:

Can someone just explain to me what happened at the end of regulation?  Because ESPN still shows Akron 72 SDSU 70 after 2nd half!  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️😵

Tribble stole the ball and missed a wide open lay up as time was expiring. Unacceptable at this level, but love the way the team rallied around to support him.

How fitting he hits the game winning FT. Good for him.

10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Tribble stole the ball and missed a wide open lay up as time was expiring. Unacceptable at this level, but love the way the team rallied around to support him.

How fitting he hits the game winning FT. Good for him.

I was driving home from work, celebrating Akron's 72-70 victory when I looked at the phone and it shows...OVERTIME!!!  WTF. 🤯  Thank you Greg Tribble for winning the game...AGAIN!!  😄

To any South Dakota State fans lurking - Thank you Jackrabbits for coming to Akron. Seriously. That was the best non-conference game at the JAR since your neighbors to the north paid a visit. Good luck the rest of the season. Your non-conference schedule is awesome, and I would not be surprised to see y'all make some noise and run the table in your conference. 5 straight weeks with top 25 votes to finish last season, and it showed tonight. Could not ask for a better season-opener. Wow.

What a win! Go Zips!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dre22era said:

If the tables were turned this forum would be protesting that foul call.

Folks can at-least try not to be too bias 

I watched a lot of garbage calls occur earlier in the game when our guys were playing straight up. 39 minutes to go vs 2 seconds to go. A foul is a foul, and affects the game the same. 

3 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I watched a lot of garbage calls occur earlier in the game when our guys were playing straight up. 39 minutes to go vs 2 seconds to go. A foul is a foul, and affects the game the same. 

Blocked Dre long time ago.  He has nothing positive to offer.

• Like 1

Best game of the season thus far!!!  (LOL)  For those people that are mad at Tribble for missing the layup, you have to remember he was trying to beat the clock and was trucking down the court at full speed.  Because of the speed he put the ball off the backboard too hard.  He made up for it making the foul shot that won the game.  By far the best non-conference game we have had in years.  I hope they come back.

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 2

Good interviews after game.

1.  The steal was more important than the lay up.

2.  Missing the 2nd FT used up time.

3.  Hankerson impressing Groce.  ( I always likes NIU as a program more than Ball State.)

4.  Hunter has green light for 3s, but he wasn't on floor in crunch time.  Looks like Nate taking Dawson's place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1981 grad said:

Best game of the season thus far!!!  (LOL)  For those people that are mad at Tribble for missing the layup, you have to remember he was trying to beat the clock and was trucking down the court at full speed.  Because of the speed he put the ball off the backboard too hard.  He made up for it making the foul shot that won the game.  By far the best non-conference game we have had in years.  I hope they come back.

Cant be mad at him.  As X said after, the STEAL was what mattered.  

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Cant be mad at him.  As X said after, the STEAL was what mattered.  

And he made the free throw that mattered. I look to Tribble for defense, rebounds as a guard, and attacking the basket. He stole the ball when it mattered, and at the same time attacked/rebounded when it mattered. Love Tribble and he's been fun to watch in an Akron uniform. He was HUGE tonight. 

• Like 3

Not enough adjectives in the dictionary to describe that one, holy smokes!

Good-not-great all around. I was pleased with the defense overall, hell of a possession to end regulation, but my heart literally hurt when he missed it. Felt like the football game against CMU! 

I liked what I saw from Hunter, reminded me a lot of Xeyrius Williams, I have a good feeling about him! X looks so different. He looks in a bit better shape, and he had a look in his eye tonight, WOW! What an opener for him. And Hankerson, all I could think about the whole game was how much of his career was wasted at NIU, that dude killed it on both ends!

Definitely a work in progress, but there’s no better way to start then with a W! On to Mississippi State, do it for JoeMo!!!!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The reach in call on Garvin was a garbage foul that also changed the game.

13 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

One of my favorite moments of the entire season! Bud does a ton for the program, and it's cool to have a big money guy like that get so into it. This is when Tribble got the And-1 to go up 7 before the media timeout. Unfortunately, a whole lot of people were texting me and jinxing the game at that point. Damn, so close!

That's Riq's Mom standing and cheering right behind Bud. She's a ball of 🔥