Players who transferred from last year, Where are they now?

1981 grad

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

And Ali Ali scored 4 points, had no rebounds and 2 turnovers in a 21 point loss to Seton Hall where he played 26 minutes and Butler lost their 4th straight game.  In those 4 losses they have lost by an average of over 20 points although they have played a couple of ranked teams.

I watched the Butler - Providence game a week ago. Ali got a lot of playing time and was a total non-factor. On O he stayed out on the perimeter and passed most of the time he got the ball. He never, ever followed a shot whether it was his or a teammates. He set no picks and did not move, cut to the basket or shake a defender. On D he played like last year which was not bad, except he also did not rebound. The Big East is more physical, he played like he was soft. The one thing missing was his dribble-dribble, holding he ball for 20 seconds while backing down his defender in the paint producing a turnaround jumper. Not once did he do what was his signature, maddening move as a Zip.

To tell the truth he is one transfer that I don't regret. Groce plays a more physical brand of D than Ali is capable. He has not bought into our style of play and this team is better w/o him. I hope he is happy being closer to his girlfriend in Dayton, playing 20 minutes per game with little production and on a team that is going nowhere this season.

24 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

One decision that changed the course of history:

Kicking Trimble to the curb.  Zips have lost one MAC game since he was fired.

Damn!  I've run outta likes, and it's barely 8 a.m.  Beating N. Brimfield Poly by a dozen will do that!!

I am watching the Butler game v. Marquette and Butler was keeping it close until Ali picked up a technical foul when he hit a Marquette player in the back and got a technical.  And then on the next play with 2 seconds left in the half he had his back to the guy inbounding the ball and it went to his man who sunk a 3 pointer.  Butler now down by 12.  Up till that point he was playing ok with a 3 pointer and a nice assist and a nice jump shot for 2.  Just a stupid play to smack some guy in the back.  Totally unnecessary.  Didn't he pick up some stupid techs when he player for Akron?

• 3 weeks later...

Ali scored 11 points in the Bulldogs 6-point loss the Georgetown yesterday. The win snapped the Hoyas 22 game road losing streak. Butler obviously peaking at the right time. I hear CBI representatives were at Hinkle and were impressed the Bulldogs kept the deficit to single digits. Lunardi has Butler on the CBI bubble. Stay tuned…

10 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Ali scored 11 points in the Bulldogs 6-point loss the Georgetown yesterday. The win snapped the Hoyas 22 game road losing streak. Butler obviously peaking at the right time. I hear CBI representatives were at Hinkle and were impressed the Bulldogs kept the deficit to single digits. Lunardi has Butler on the CBI bubble. Stay tuned…

Hopefully, this is a cautionary tale for others.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I hear The Basketball Tournament is interested in advancing all the way to the title game, so they can ensure high streaming and Gametracker ratings for a showdown between Louisville and Georgetown.  Only problem is the Hoyas may have blown their big chance by beating a former NCAA championship game team. Has Georgetown ever played for a title??  🤔😜

30 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

That and I sure wish we had him here again this year.

Another talented player would be nice and he certainly had value when he was here.  That being said, I'm not sure he fits into this team- a team of unselfish high character guys who have ENTIRELY bought into Groce and the program.  His transfer tells me maybe he's not that kind of guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

Another talented player would be nice and he certainly had value when he was here.  That being said, I'm not sure he fits into this team- a team of unselfish high character guys who have ENTIRELY bought into Groce and the program.  His transfer tells me maybe he's not that kind of guy.

I agree!  He has the talent but I watched an earlier Butler game where he hit an opposing player in the back when the player had a breakaway.  I think he was the one player last year who would occasionally look at the opposing bench after hitting a three.  If he bought into the program he would not have left.  However, I still wish him well and it is still interesting to see how former Zips do after they transfer.

9 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree!  He has the talent but I watched an earlier Butler game where he hit an opposing player in the back when the player had a breakaway.  I think he was the one player last year who would occasionally look at the opposing bench after hitting a three.  If he bought into the program he would not have left.  However, I still wish him well and it is still interesting to see how former Zips do after they transfer.

Wasn't Ali the subject of the infamous PCCC locker room video?

Aziz Bandaogo has been named WAC Defensive Player of the Year, WAC Newcomer of the Year and First Team All-WAC.

I really feel like if the Zips are truly missing any pieces this would be the primary one. A 6’11” or 7’ athletic rim protector that alters nearly every inside shot by the opponent.

Edited by GJGood
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, GJGood said:

Aziz Bandaogo has been named WAC Defensive Player of the Year, WAC Newcomer of the Year and First Team All-WAC.

I really feel like if the Zips are truly missing any pieces this would be the primary one. A 6’11” or 7’ athletic rim protector that alters nearly every inside shot by the opponent.

Good for him - heck of an entrance into the WAC. 

The key piece we're missing is on our bench recovering from an injury - Mikal Dawson being his name. Aziz would've been a nice piece, but this exact team - minus Mikal - went on a massive run to finish the season last year. During the time of that run, Aziz's playing time dwindled to almost nothing. I wish we had both Aziz and Mikal, but if I had to choose, I'd take Mikal. Cannot understate how big of a loss he is. 

• Like 1