2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

The new-look Zips begin the season @ Oakland tonight at 8:00pm. The Golden Grizzlies went 15-15 last year, going 1-2 against the MAC. They beat MAC-worst CMU and lost to Toledo and BGSU.

This is a huge year for coach Jackson, needing to prove she can win without the best player in the league. This is a fun team, and a very easy group to cheer for. Go Zips!

• Like 2

Watched last night and it was a fun game, the Zips women shot 75% in first half, and it was actually better, as they took a few wild 3s to end the half.  They play a very fast paced game, and they are tall.  Foul trouble in Bass and Ferrell caught up with them.  The new players need to mesh, and of course they're looking to replace Dawson, but looking forward to in-person vs. Dayton Sunday.

24 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Who’s this PG #1 Dominique Camp. In the little I’ve seen of the team this season she’s looked really good.  GoZips.com says she’s a senior but doesn’t list her as a transfer. 

Played at Buffalo last year. Started 24 games. 4+ ppg.

Edited by ewbrooman1

Corcoran on a leave of absence. Not sure when she’ll return.  

Zips come back to win it in dominating fashion in the 2nd half! 85-69 the final. They held UD scoreless for about an 8 minute stretch from the third quarter into the fourth. Camp looked excellent running the show. Ball State transfer/Ali Ali girlfriend Sydney Freeman now plays for the Flyers. They were picked 10th of 14 in the preseason A10 poll. 

After a ton of turnovers in the first quarter, the Zips only had a handful the rest of the entire game. Zips finish with 23 assists on 28 made field goals, shooting 53% from the field. More of this please!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401485974

Didn't see this one, for obvious reasons!  Anyone can comment on the bench and roster?  Is anyone missing besides Corcoran?  Faith Stinson had 6 today -- any comments on her talents?  I hope she gets to play, as she's a big time player.

21 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401485974

Didn't see this one, for obvious reasons!  Anyone can comment on the bench and roster?  Is anyone missing besides Corcoran?  Faith Stinson had 6 today -- any comments on her talents?  I hope she gets to play, as she's a big time player.

Corcoran was the only one I noticed that was missing who is on the roster. Camp played well at the point after a couple early turnovers. Stinson looked OK. Swished a 3 for her only FG, which is not really what I'm looking for from a 6'2" big, but I'll take it. 3 for 4 FT. I was expecting a better Dayton team, not realizing their coach left for Illinois and they only have 4 returning players from an NCAA tournament team. Sure beat watching the Browns today.

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Corcoran was the only one I noticed that was missing who is on the roster. Camp played well at the point after a couple early turnovers. Stinson looked OK. Swished a 3 for her only FG, which is not really what I'm looking for from a 6'2" big, but I'll take it. 3 for 4 FT. I was expecting a better Dayton team, not realizing their coach left for Illinois and they only have 4 returning players from an NCAA tournament team. Sure beat watching the Browns today.

On the bright side I thought she looked confident. She definitely didn't look out of place, or sheepish at all.  After Christmas break I'll bet she starts to contribute even more.

• Like 2

Oh, and I don't want to neglect to publicly note how incredibly impressed I was with their style of play and team-ism today. I'll be honest that I was skeptical and prepared for the worst coming off a couple years where Jordan Dawson really seemed to dominate the ball & play of the team. With Dawson being so dominant I wasn't sure what kind of team we really had and what kind of coach Melissa Jackson really was. Today I thought we were playing better team ball than we had been the last couple of Dawson years. 

Camp really looks more than comfortable and competent running the show & Reagan Bass is great. Layne Ferrell is a 6-2 guard who can hit threes and handle the ball & Faith Stinson is going to be another load down low to complement Bass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Faith was a complete player in HS.  She has heft and rebounding ability, and can step outside and knock down the 'j'.  A surprisingly athletic 6-3 with inside moves and instincts.  She'll be all-MAC W/in 3 years.