2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

36 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Borseth is 68. I seriously doubt he's going anywhere. Box is interesting. I met him briefly when he was in Akron. Seemed like a good guy. I know he went to St. Louis for a while. May be time to be a head coach?

Yeah, I forgot about his age when I put him on this list. @LoyalZIP mentioning Green Bay's assistant coach, Megan Vogel, makes a lot more sense than Borseth. 

And in case anyone didn't catch it, the biggest reason I put Griffith on this list was because of her connection to Guthrie. Once I saw Guthrie's tweet last week, I decided to look more into her resume and thought it could be a possibility if she would look at Akron's conference having a better shot at having an at-large bid than the Ivy League. Columbia should have been in the NCAA tournament as an at-large but the NCAA chose the 7th team from a Power 5 instead. All the metrics had Columbia as a team that should have been in. I wonder if that might play a part on whether or not she might be interested in the Akron job. 

Guthrie congratulating Coach Griffith on Columbia's regular season

Edited by mes102

Mahalo ME 102.  I'm impressed if only by your cut & paste skills! Not sure how you managed that without it all disappearing into thin air multiple times, as seems to happen when I compose over two paras.  My best case scenario would be to get a top assistant from one of those always-ranked mid-major programs like UWGB, Missouri State, Gonzaga, etc., or a top young up-and-coming coach from that area. I did mention earlier Chelsea Lyles the Assoc HC to Karl Smesko at FGCU. She's going to be a great head coach some day and we'd might as well get her first. I expect Megan Vogel to take over for Borseth in a couple years.  How about the coach at Cleveland State? She came in and moved her team way up the ranks very quickly.  One hope I would have is that the new coach maintain the strategic style that Jodi Kest brought that everybody needs to be a shooter and the first player with an open 3-pointer takes it. That's the way the game has developed and how mid-majors beat P-5s.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 8:19 PM, mes102 said:

My post earlier was worded the way it was because I originally was going to post them then but found some information on one that I decided I needed to check on the rest of them. I probably should have just deleted that post instead of wording it the way I did 🤐 I narrowed my list from 20 names to 12 names due to recent changes (Example: I had Michigan State associate head coach, Dean Lockwood, on my list but he was just named interim head coach as their head coach just retired). I decided to get rid of some other names that may not be as realistic (Notre Dame's Carol Owens, Maryland's Karen Blair, and some others). Some of these below might not be realistic, but I could see any of them (Gandy is the biggest long shot probably, but I decided to keep him on here). 

Below are names based on three levels of coaching at the moment:

- D2/D3/NAIA head coaches that have excelled with their program. 
- D1 head coach that may consider Akron as not a lateral move and/or has a connection to Guthrie
- D1 assistant coach that may consider taking a head coaching position

Below I added some highlights from their Bio Profile (I have a link to it under their name) in case you want to read more about any of them. 

Division II Head Coach

Kim Stephens, Glenville State (West Virginia)
- Seventh year as the Head Coach at Glenville State. 190-23 overall as the Head Coach of the Lady Pioneers. In her seven seasons at Glenville, the Lady Pioneers have gone (132-12) in conference play

- Last season they finished (35-1) overall, (22-0) in the league, and won the 2022 NCAA Division II Championship.. It marked the second time they finished conference play undefeated during her tenure. Stephens was named the WBCA National Coach of the year, MEC Women’s Sports Coach of the Year, and earned the Furfari Award for the State’s top College Coach.

- During her first season (2016-17) at the helm of the Lady Pioneers, Stephens led the team to the MEC Regular Season Championship with a (24-6) (18-4) record and a berth in the NCAA DII Tournament. She was named to the WBCA Coaches Thirty Under 30 presented by Marriott Rewards® honorees for the 2016-17 season.

- In 2019-20, she and the Lady Pioneers claimed their fourth straight MEC Regular Season Championship and their third straight MEC Tournament Championship as they finished with a 26-5 overall record and went 19-3 in conference play. They also punched their fourth straight ticket to the NCAA Tournament however it would end up being canceled due to COVID-19.

- A native of Parkersburg, W.Va., Stephens graduated from Glenville State in 2011 with a bachelor’s degree in sport management with a minor in psychology. She earned a Master’s Degree in Education from Ohio Valley University in 2012 and is also a certified personal trainer through the International Sports Science Association. Before her previous stint as an Assistant Coach for the Lady Pioneers, she also spent three seasons at Sacramento State from 2013 to 2016.

Kari Pickens, Ashland (Ohio)
- Has guided Ashland to a 139-15 record, four conference tournament titles, three conference regular-season championships and five NCAA Division II tournament berths in her first five seasons as head coach.

- In her first season leading the Eagles in 2018-19, Pickens went 29-3 overall and 18-2 in the GLIAC, and AU won its fourth consecutive GLIAC Tournament championship and made its fifth consecutive NCAA Division II postseason appearance.

- The 2019-20 season saw Ashland finish 31-0 overall and 20-0 in the GLIAC, as the Eagles won both the GLIAC regular-season and tournament championships. Pickens was named the GLIAC Coach of the Year, and Ashland qualified for the NCAA Division II postseason, which was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

- At River View High School, Pickens was a two-time first-team all-Ohio selection. In 2009, she was the Ohio co-Player of the Year. Pickens was a member of two state-championship teams (2006-07) and a state runner-up (2009).

- She succeeded Robyn Fralick, the current Bowling Green head coach. She was an assistant under Fralick for the three seasons Fralick was the head coach at Ashland. 

NAIA Head Coach

Jeff Hans, Thomas More (Kentucky)
- 12th season as the head women's basketball coach at Thomas More University with a 320-30 record (.914), eight conference regular season titles, eight conference tournament titles, 11 national tournament berths, including two NCAA Division III National Championships, one NAIA National Championship, and one NAIA National Runner-up.

- In his first season (2011-12) on the Thomas More sidelines, Hans led the Saints to a 25-5 overall record and a 17-1 record in the PAC. Along the way, the Saints won their seventh straight PAC regular season title, sixth straight PAC Championship Tournament title and made their sixth straight appearance in the NCAA Division III Championship Tournament, where they advanced to the second round.

- In his fifth season (2015-16), Hans who guided the Saints to an undefeated season (33-0) and won National Championship as the team defeated No. 7-ranked Tufts University, 63-51, in the title game in Indianapolis, Indiana.  He was named the Division III National Coach of the Year by D3hoops.com and DIII News.

- Hans guided the Saints to a 33-0 record his eighth season (2018-19).  The team won the American Collegiate Athletic Association (ACAA) Conference Tournament and won 2019 NCAA Division III National Championship as it defeated third-ranked Bowdoin College, 81-67, in the championship game played in Salem, Virginia. 

- In his ninth season (2019-20), Hans led the Saints to a 22-10 overall record, including a 9-7 record in Mid-South Conference play, in Thomas More's first season competing in NAIA. The Saints were runners-up in the Mid-South Conference Tournament and received an at-large bid to the NAIA Women's Basketball National Championships prior to the cancellation of the tournament. Thomas More was one of the best-shooting teams in the nation, ranking eighth in three-point percentage (36.3) and ninth in field goal percentage (44.6). The Saints defeated three teams that were ranked in the NAIA Division I Top 25, including a 69-58 victory over No. 2 Campbellsville in the semifinals of the Mid-South Conference Tournament.

- In his tenth season (2020-2021), Hans led the Saints to a 32-2 overall record and 19-1 in the conference and was named Mid-South Conference Coach of the Year. The Saints were champions in the Mid-South Conference regular season and the tournament. They were also NAIA National Championship tournament runners-up. Hans led the team to a No. 1 spot in the NAIA Top 25 Coaches' poll two times during the season.

- In his 11th season (2021-2022), Hans led the Saints to a 32-4 overall record and 19-2 in the conference and was named Mid-South Conference Women's Basketball Coach of the Year for the second consecutive year, NAIA Women's Basketball National Coach of the Year, and WhoopDirt.com Coach of the Year. The Saints won their first ever NAIA National Tournament Championship and were the first ever Mid-South Conference Women's Basketball Team to win the title.

- Hans came to Thomas More from Northern Kentucky University, where he was the top assistant on Nancy Winstel's women's basketball staff for the past three seasons. He assisted in all areas of coaching, scouting and recruiting for the Norse. He spent four years as a head girls basketball coach in Kentucky as he was at Lexington Catholic from 2006-2008 and St. Henry from 2004-2006. In his four years as a high school head coach, he had an 89-34 record and won two district titles and finished as regional runner-up twice. Prior to his four years at the high school level, Hans spent five years as an assistant at the college level. He was an assistant at Division I Indiana State University from 2002-2004, graduate assistant at NKU from 2001-2002 and an assistant at Wilmington College from 1999-2001. Hans, a 1999 graduate from Wilmington College helped his teams go a combined 168-67 (.714) in his eight years as an assistant at the collegiate level.

Division I Head Coach

Megan Griffith, Columbia
- Seventh season as head coach of the Columbia women's basketball program. Her six-year tenure as head coach have combined to be the winningest six-year stretch in the NCAA Division I history of the program. Over that time, the Lions have earned seven power-conference wins, including their first victories over opponents from the ACC and Big East. Columbia has also qualified for the Ivy League Tournament in each of its last two seasons, playing in the championship game in 2021-22 before accepting the program's first bid to the Women's National Invitational Tournament (WNIT).

- The 2021-22 season was a landmark year for Griffith and the Lions. Griffith coached Columbia to its winningest season in program history, going 25-7 overall with a 12-2 Ivy League record. The Lions shattered several team records and accomplished many program firsts throughout the season, which included starting the season 5-0, defeating an ACC opponent on the road (Clemson), winning a program-record eight consecutive games, starting Ivy League play 7-0, competing in and winning its first postseason game in 36 years, competing in its first Ivy League Tournament, advancing to the tournament championship game, and advancing to the quarterfinals of its first WNIT. Columbia’s run to the WNIT quarterfinals is the deepest by any team and Ivy League history, and included victories over Patriot League champion Holy Cross, Old Dominion and Boston College. The Lions came back from as many as 17 points down to defeat the Eagles on March 24 at Levien Gymnasium, marking the largest comeback to win a game in program history.

- At the Women's Final Four in Minneapolis, Griffith was named the 2021-22 CBB Analytics Women's Basketball Coach of the Year by the Asian Coaches Association. Griffith was honored with the award at the Association's Women's Basketball Coaches Conference.

- Prior to her return to Columbia, Griffith spent six seasons at Princeton, including her last four as an assistant coach and the team’s recruiting coordinator. She also served as the Tigers’ director of basketball operations from 2010-12. The last two years, Griffith has helped Princeton make back-to-back trips to the NCAA Tournament. During that span, the Tigers posted a 54-7 overall record, including an undefeated 30-0 regular season in 2014-15, and a 26-2 mark in Ivy League play.

Kevin Borseth, UW-Green Bay
- 36th season as a head coach in 2022-23, and 20th overall with the Green Bay Phoenix. He owns one of the best records in all of college basketball at 778-306. Borseth ranks 16th all-time among NCAA women's basketball coaches in total wins and sixth among active coaches.

- Borseth's overall record at Green Bay stands at 466-136 and 264-39 in the Horizon League. In 25 seasons as a Division I head coach with stops at Green Bay and the University of Michigan, Borseth is 553-209.

- He returned to Green Bay in the spring of 2012 after spending five seasons as the head coach at the University of Michigan, where he compiled an 87-73 record in five seasons. He took over a program that had won just 21 games in the prior three seasons combined, and led the Wolverines to 19 wins and a postseason berth in his first season in 2007-08. Borseth led the Wolverines to three postseasons, including a trip to the NCAA Tournament in 2012, the program's first since 2000-01.

- In Borseth's second stint with Green Bay, they had six regular season championships and advanced to the NCAA Tournament in five of its seven postseason appearances. All told, the 36-year head coaching veteran has an impressive record of 776-306 in his stints at Michigan Tech (1987-1998), Green Bay (1998-2007, 2012-pres.), and Michigan (2007-2012). During his time at Green Bay, Borseth was named the conference coach of the year seven times and led the program to its first two NCAA Tournament victories with wins over Washington in 2003 and New Mexico in 2007.

Ayla Guzzardo, SE Louisiana
- In her five seasons at the helm of the Southeastern program, the Lady Lions have increased their overall winning percentage each season. Guzzardo led SLU to back-to-back winning seasons in 2020-21 and 2021-22 - the first time the program has accomplished that feat since the 1994-95 and 1995-96 campaigns.

- In her first season as the head coach at Southeastern, the Lady Lions posted their highest win total in both overall games and conference games since the 2013-14 season. The Lady Lions topped their overall win total again in 2018-19.

- In 2019-20, Guzzardo led her squad back to the Southland Conference Tournament for the first time since the 2011-12 season. The 2020-21 Lady Lions enjoyed their best season under Guzzardo, posting an 11-8 overall record and a 10-5 mark in Southland Conference play - the program's best marks in both overall and in league action since 2008-09. SLU earned a best-ever second-place finish in the Southland standings and earned a berth in the Southland Conference Tournament semifinals.

- The 2021-22 Southeastern squad took a further step forward, finishing 16-11 overall and 10-4 in conference play. SLU picked up their first two wins in Southland Conference Tournament play since the 2001-02 season and advanced to the SLC Tournament championship game for the first time in school history.

- The Hammond, Louisiana native began representing her hometown university after spending four seasons on the staff at Akron. During her time with the Zips, Guzzardo worked with the point guards and coached Kasie Cassell, who led the nation with 7.8 assists per game in 2012-13. Guzzardo also worked with four 1,000-point career scorers during her time in Akron. In her last season with Akron, Guzzardo was a member of head coach Jodi Kest's staff that helped the team to its first-ever MAC Tournament championship and NCAA Tournament appearance. The 2013-14 Zips ranked among the national leaders in scoring offense (13th) and assists (7th), while Hanna Luburgh (22.2 ppg) and Rachel Tecca (22.1 ppg) was the nation's top scoring tandem.

Tracy Sanders, Southern Utah
-  Fifth year as head coach of the Southern Utah University women's basketball team with 78-66 overall record and 51-38 conference record. Southern Utah was 3-27 overall, 2-16 in conference play the year prior to being hired. Their records since then have been 8-23 (4-16), 18-13 (11-9), 11-9 (6-5), 18-12 (14-6), and currently 23-9 (16-2) with an NCAA Tournament berth.

- During her first season at the helm of the program the team won eight games, improving their previous season total by more than double. Their eight total wins and four conference wins were the most the team had had since 2014-15. They picked up huge wins over BYU, the University of San Diego, and Utah Valley during their non-conference schedule and also won their first Big Sky Championship Tournament game since 2013-14 taking down Montana in the first round

- The 2019-20 team saw major improvements and put together one of the best seasons in recent memory. They won 18 total games and 11 conference games, the most since the 2013-14 season when they won a share of the Big Sky title. They also had their second-best all-time scoring season with 2,186 points scored, and set a new record for three-pointers made in a season with 197.They also finished the 2019-20 academic year with a team GPA of 3.742, good enough for No. 5 in the country.

- The 2021-22 season was one of the best in Southern Utah's Division I history. Sanders led SUU to an 18-12 overall record and 14-6 mark in Big Sky play. The 14 conference victories were the second most in SUU program history, as they claimed a second-place finish in the regular season conference standings. The conclusion of the 2021-22 season marked the first time since 1993-96 that Southern Utah compiled three consecutive winning seasons.

Division I Assistant Coach

Justine Raterman, Marquette
- The 2022-23 campaign marks the fourth year at Marquette University for Justine Raterman, who joined head coach Megan Duffy's staff in April of 2019. She serves as recruiting coordinator for the Golden Eagles and excels in post player development

- Before coming to Marquette, Raterman served as an assistant coach for the Miami Redhawks in the 2018-2019 campaign. She was on the sidelines as Miami posted back-to-back 20-win seasons for the first time since the 1980’s, earning two WNIT berths along the way. The Redhawks reached the MAC Tournament semifinals in two consecutive years, while a 44-20 record over the span was the winningest record in the MAC. In her first year as an assistant coach for Miami, Raterman saw a trio of players selected to the All-MAC squad. With the RedHawks, Justine’s responsibilities included guard and post player development, recruiting, scouting, and liaison with academic services.

- Before arriving at Miami, Raterman spent the previous three years as an operations research analyst at Booz Allen Hamilton where she worked at the Air Force Research Laboratory as part of the modeling, simulation and analysis team. She helped create files that formed tools that parse, organize and visualize large data sets so clients were better able to use the data.

Calamity McEntire, Illinois
- Calamity McEntire enters her first season as associate head coach for the Fighting Illini women's basketball program in 2022-23.

- McEntire, who brings more than 16 years of Division I coaching experience, most recently served as an assistant coach at the University of Texas. At Illinois, she will serve her second stint alongside Green after previously working as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator on her staff for four seasons at Dayton

- During the 2021-22 season at Texas, McEntire’s impact was immediately felt as the Longhorns posted a 29-7 record and claimed the Big 12 Tournament Championship en route to an appearance in the NCAA Elite Eight. UT reached as high as No. 6 in the national rankings and the program’s 29 victories marked its most in six seasons, while the team’s championship run was the first for the Longhorns since 2003.

- Prior to her time at Dayton, McEntire spent one season at Hawai’i (2016-17) and four seasons at Arizona (2012-16) where she served as the Wildcats’ recruiting coordinator. There, she helped the Wildcats sign a top-25 class in 2014, the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history at the time.

- She also gained a wealth of knowledge from legendary coach Pat Summit while she worked as a manager at Tennessee from 2001-03.

Glenn Box, Indiana
- Glenn Box begins his seventh season and third as associate head coach with Indiana Women’s Basketball in 2022-23.

- He helped the Hoosiers to a historic season during his first year in 2016-17, advancing to the WNIT quarterfinals and a program-record 23 wins. It marked the first time in school history that IU has posted back-to-back 20-win seasons and the first back-to-back winning seasons since 2007-08 and 2008-09

- Box was instrumental in the Hoosiers success in 2020-21, helping to lead the program to an NCAA Elite Eight appearance for the first time in school history and in the process knocking off top seeded North Carolina State. Indiana went on to finish 21-6 overall for its sixth-consecutive 20-win season and won a program record 16 games in Big Ten play to earn its highest finish in school history with a No. 2 seed. The program also spent every week of the regular season in the Top 25 and finished a program-high No. 12 in the AP poll and No. 10 in the coaches poll.

- The 2021-22 Hoosiers continued its upward trajectory as it finished with an overall record of 24-9 and second-straight NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearance. The Hoosiers advanced to its first Big Ten Tournament championship game in 20 years and earned its highest ever seed in the NCAA Tournament as a No. 3 seed while hosting first and second games in Bloomington. Indiana also spent the entire 2021-22 season ranked in the Top 25 national polls rising as high as No. 4 in the Associated Press and No. 5 in the USA Today/WBCA coaches poll.

- In 2015-16, Box helped SLU set program records for overall wins (26-8), conference wins (13-3), overall winning percentage (.765), conference winning percentage (.813), home wins (24) and road victories (10) as the Billikens won a share of the program’s first ever Atlantic 10 Conference championship.  Saint Louis was the No. 2 seed for the A-10 Championship, its highest seed ever, and SLU reached the semifinals of the conference tournament for the first time in school history.

- Prior to his second stint at Saint Louis, Box coached two years at Akron in 2012-13 and 2013-14. During his tenure, the Zips played in the 2014 NCAA Tournament after winning the Mid-American Conference Tournament championship in 2014.  In 2012-13, Akron won the East Division of the MAC going 14-4 in conference play.

Carla Morrow, Ohio State
- Morrow began her Ohio State coaching career in September of 2019 following a three-year run as an assistant coach for the WNBA’s Chicago Sky. She was promoted to associate head coach in August of 2021.

- The 2019-20 season was a good first season for Morrow and the Buckeyes from a development standpoint. The team welcomed in seven new players to the roster, and while there were ups and downs, the team was playing its best basketball down the stretch. The Buckeyes won six in-a-row in February, 10 out of their final 13 overall and made a run to the Big Ten Tournament Championship game. They were projected as anywhere from a five, six or seven seed in the NCAA Tournament before the COVID-19 outbreak put a halt to the sports world. Overall, they were 21-12 and finished fifth in the Big Ten at 11-7.

- The Buckeyes won a share of the Big Ten regular season championship in 2021-22, finishing the conference schedule with a 14-4 record. Ohio State did not lose to an unranked team during Big Ten play. OSU went on to earn a six-seed in the NCAA Tournament and advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2017. OSU earned three ranked wins during the 2021-22 season, first beating No. 12/11 Maryland at home before taking care of business at No. 21/24 Iowa. The Buckeyes' most convincing ranked win came in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at No. 8/9 LSU by a 79-64 margin.

- Morrow also served as an assistant coach for McGuff for four seasons at Xavier from 2007-11. They captured six A-10 Championships (regular season & tournament) and advanced to four NCAA Tournaments highlighted by an Elite Eight appearance with McGuff in 2010.

Winston Gandy, Duke
- Joined the Duke women’s basketball staff as an assistant coach in July of 2020. He was elevated to associate head coach on July 1, 2022.

- Before arriving in Durham, Gandy spent three years on the Rice University women’s basketball staff, helping guide the Owls to three straight 20-win seasons, including one NCAA Tournament appearance and one Conference USA Championship.

- Part of one of the best stretches in Rice women’s basketball history, Gandy helped the Owls to a 72-22 overall record and a 42-8 mark in Conference USA action over that three-year period. In 2018-19, the Owls won a school single-season record 28 games that featured an appearance in the NCAA Tournament and the school’s first Conference USA Tournament title.

- Prior to his coaching stint at Rice, Gandy spent three years in the NBA - one season as an assistant coach and two years as the coordinator of player development with the Washington Wizards.

Wow, this is more in depth than my Sr. term paper.  Let me know when Vol 2 is coming out.  I want on the distribution list.  Great work.

• Haha 2

On 3/16/2023 at 8:19 PM, mes102 said:

My post earlier was worded the way it was because I originally was going to post them then but found some information on one that I decided I needed to check on the rest of them. I probably should have just deleted that post instead of wording it the way I did 🤐 I narrowed my list from 20 names to 12 names due to recent changes (Example: I had Michigan State associate head coach, Dean Lockwood, on my list but he was just named interim head coach as their head coach just retired). I decided to get rid of some other names that may not be as realistic (Notre Dame's Carol Owens, Maryland's Karen Blair, and some others). Some of these below might not be realistic, but I could see any of them (Gandy is the biggest long shot probably, but I decided to keep him on here). 

Below are names based on three levels of coaching at the moment:

- D2/D3/NAIA head coaches that have excelled with their program. 
- D1 head coach that may consider Akron as not a lateral move and/or has a connection to Guthrie
- D1 assistant coach that may consider taking a head coaching position

Below I added some highlights from their Bio Profile (I have a link to it under their name) in case you want to read more about any of them. 

Division II Head Coach

Kim Stephens, Glenville State (West Virginia)
- Seventh year as the Head Coach at Glenville State. 190-23 overall as the Head Coach of the Lady Pioneers. In her seven seasons at Glenville, the Lady Pioneers have gone (132-12) in conference play

- Last season they finished (35-1) overall, (22-0) in the league, and won the 2022 NCAA Division II Championship.. It marked the second time they finished conference play undefeated during her tenure. Stephens was named the WBCA National Coach of the year, MEC Women’s Sports Coach of the Year, and earned the Furfari Award for the State’s top College Coach.

- During her first season (2016-17) at the helm of the Lady Pioneers, Stephens led the team to the MEC Regular Season Championship with a (24-6) (18-4) record and a berth in the NCAA DII Tournament. She was named to the WBCA Coaches Thirty Under 30 presented by Marriott Rewards® honorees for the 2016-17 season.

- In 2019-20, she and the Lady Pioneers claimed their fourth straight MEC Regular Season Championship and their third straight MEC Tournament Championship as they finished with a 26-5 overall record and went 19-3 in conference play. They also punched their fourth straight ticket to the NCAA Tournament however it would end up being canceled due to COVID-19.

- A native of Parkersburg, W.Va., Stephens graduated from Glenville State in 2011 with a bachelor’s degree in sport management with a minor in psychology. She earned a Master’s Degree in Education from Ohio Valley University in 2012 and is also a certified personal trainer through the International Sports Science Association. Before her previous stint as an Assistant Coach for the Lady Pioneers, she also spent three seasons at Sacramento State from 2013 to 2016.

Kari Pickens, Ashland (Ohio)
- Has guided Ashland to a 139-15 record, four conference tournament titles, three conference regular-season championships and five NCAA Division II tournament berths in her first five seasons as head coach.

- In her first season leading the Eagles in 2018-19, Pickens went 29-3 overall and 18-2 in the GLIAC, and AU won its fourth consecutive GLIAC Tournament championship and made its fifth consecutive NCAA Division II postseason appearance.

- The 2019-20 season saw Ashland finish 31-0 overall and 20-0 in the GLIAC, as the Eagles won both the GLIAC regular-season and tournament championships. Pickens was named the GLIAC Coach of the Year, and Ashland qualified for the NCAA Division II postseason, which was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

- At River View High School, Pickens was a two-time first-team all-Ohio selection. In 2009, she was the Ohio co-Player of the Year. Pickens was a member of two state-championship teams (2006-07) and a state runner-up (2009).

- She succeeded Robyn Fralick, the current Bowling Green head coach. She was an assistant under Fralick for the three seasons Fralick was the head coach at Ashland. 

NAIA Head Coach

Jeff Hans, Thomas More (Kentucky)
- 12th season as the head women's basketball coach at Thomas More University with a 320-30 record (.914), eight conference regular season titles, eight conference tournament titles, 11 national tournament berths, including two NCAA Division III National Championships, one NAIA National Championship, and one NAIA National Runner-up.

- In his first season (2011-12) on the Thomas More sidelines, Hans led the Saints to a 25-5 overall record and a 17-1 record in the PAC. Along the way, the Saints won their seventh straight PAC regular season title, sixth straight PAC Championship Tournament title and made their sixth straight appearance in the NCAA Division III Championship Tournament, where they advanced to the second round.

- In his fifth season (2015-16), Hans who guided the Saints to an undefeated season (33-0) and won National Championship as the team defeated No. 7-ranked Tufts University, 63-51, in the title game in Indianapolis, Indiana.  He was named the Division III National Coach of the Year by D3hoops.com and DIII News.

- Hans guided the Saints to a 33-0 record his eighth season (2018-19).  The team won the American Collegiate Athletic Association (ACAA) Conference Tournament and won 2019 NCAA Division III National Championship as it defeated third-ranked Bowdoin College, 81-67, in the championship game played in Salem, Virginia. 

- In his ninth season (2019-20), Hans led the Saints to a 22-10 overall record, including a 9-7 record in Mid-South Conference play, in Thomas More's first season competing in NAIA. The Saints were runners-up in the Mid-South Conference Tournament and received an at-large bid to the NAIA Women's Basketball National Championships prior to the cancellation of the tournament. Thomas More was one of the best-shooting teams in the nation, ranking eighth in three-point percentage (36.3) and ninth in field goal percentage (44.6). The Saints defeated three teams that were ranked in the NAIA Division I Top 25, including a 69-58 victory over No. 2 Campbellsville in the semifinals of the Mid-South Conference Tournament.

- In his tenth season (2020-2021), Hans led the Saints to a 32-2 overall record and 19-1 in the conference and was named Mid-South Conference Coach of the Year. The Saints were champions in the Mid-South Conference regular season and the tournament. They were also NAIA National Championship tournament runners-up. Hans led the team to a No. 1 spot in the NAIA Top 25 Coaches' poll two times during the season.

- In his 11th season (2021-2022), Hans led the Saints to a 32-4 overall record and 19-2 in the conference and was named Mid-South Conference Women's Basketball Coach of the Year for the second consecutive year, NAIA Women's Basketball National Coach of the Year, and WhoopDirt.com Coach of the Year. The Saints won their first ever NAIA National Tournament Championship and were the first ever Mid-South Conference Women's Basketball Team to win the title.

- Hans came to Thomas More from Northern Kentucky University, where he was the top assistant on Nancy Winstel's women's basketball staff for the past three seasons. He assisted in all areas of coaching, scouting and recruiting for the Norse. He spent four years as a head girls basketball coach in Kentucky as he was at Lexington Catholic from 2006-2008 and St. Henry from 2004-2006. In his four years as a high school head coach, he had an 89-34 record and won two district titles and finished as regional runner-up twice. Prior to his four years at the high school level, Hans spent five years as an assistant at the college level. He was an assistant at Division I Indiana State University from 2002-2004, graduate assistant at NKU from 2001-2002 and an assistant at Wilmington College from 1999-2001. Hans, a 1999 graduate from Wilmington College helped his teams go a combined 168-67 (.714) in his eight years as an assistant at the collegiate level.

Division I Head Coach

Megan Griffith, Columbia
- Seventh season as head coach of the Columbia women's basketball program. Her six-year tenure as head coach have combined to be the winningest six-year stretch in the NCAA Division I history of the program. Over that time, the Lions have earned seven power-conference wins, including their first victories over opponents from the ACC and Big East. Columbia has also qualified for the Ivy League Tournament in each of its last two seasons, playing in the championship game in 2021-22 before accepting the program's first bid to the Women's National Invitational Tournament (WNIT).

- The 2021-22 season was a landmark year for Griffith and the Lions. Griffith coached Columbia to its winningest season in program history, going 25-7 overall with a 12-2 Ivy League record. The Lions shattered several team records and accomplished many program firsts throughout the season, which included starting the season 5-0, defeating an ACC opponent on the road (Clemson), winning a program-record eight consecutive games, starting Ivy League play 7-0, competing in and winning its first postseason game in 36 years, competing in its first Ivy League Tournament, advancing to the tournament championship game, and advancing to the quarterfinals of its first WNIT. Columbia’s run to the WNIT quarterfinals is the deepest by any team and Ivy League history, and included victories over Patriot League champion Holy Cross, Old Dominion and Boston College. The Lions came back from as many as 17 points down to defeat the Eagles on March 24 at Levien Gymnasium, marking the largest comeback to win a game in program history.

- At the Women's Final Four in Minneapolis, Griffith was named the 2021-22 CBB Analytics Women's Basketball Coach of the Year by the Asian Coaches Association. Griffith was honored with the award at the Association's Women's Basketball Coaches Conference.

- Prior to her return to Columbia, Griffith spent six seasons at Princeton, including her last four as an assistant coach and the team’s recruiting coordinator. She also served as the Tigers’ director of basketball operations from 2010-12. The last two years, Griffith has helped Princeton make back-to-back trips to the NCAA Tournament. During that span, the Tigers posted a 54-7 overall record, including an undefeated 30-0 regular season in 2014-15, and a 26-2 mark in Ivy League play.

Kevin Borseth, UW-Green Bay
- 36th season as a head coach in 2022-23, and 20th overall with the Green Bay Phoenix. He owns one of the best records in all of college basketball at 778-306. Borseth ranks 16th all-time among NCAA women's basketball coaches in total wins and sixth among active coaches.

- Borseth's overall record at Green Bay stands at 466-136 and 264-39 in the Horizon League. In 25 seasons as a Division I head coach with stops at Green Bay and the University of Michigan, Borseth is 553-209.

- He returned to Green Bay in the spring of 2012 after spending five seasons as the head coach at the University of Michigan, where he compiled an 87-73 record in five seasons. He took over a program that had won just 21 games in the prior three seasons combined, and led the Wolverines to 19 wins and a postseason berth in his first season in 2007-08. Borseth led the Wolverines to three postseasons, including a trip to the NCAA Tournament in 2012, the program's first since 2000-01.

- In Borseth's second stint with Green Bay, they had six regular season championships and advanced to the NCAA Tournament in five of its seven postseason appearances. All told, the 36-year head coaching veteran has an impressive record of 776-306 in his stints at Michigan Tech (1987-1998), Green Bay (1998-2007, 2012-pres.), and Michigan (2007-2012). During his time at Green Bay, Borseth was named the conference coach of the year seven times and led the program to its first two NCAA Tournament victories with wins over Washington in 2003 and New Mexico in 2007.

Ayla Guzzardo, SE Louisiana
- In her five seasons at the helm of the Southeastern program, the Lady Lions have increased their overall winning percentage each season. Guzzardo led SLU to back-to-back winning seasons in 2020-21 and 2021-22 - the first time the program has accomplished that feat since the 1994-95 and 1995-96 campaigns.

- In her first season as the head coach at Southeastern, the Lady Lions posted their highest win total in both overall games and conference games since the 2013-14 season. The Lady Lions topped their overall win total again in 2018-19.

- In 2019-20, Guzzardo led her squad back to the Southland Conference Tournament for the first time since the 2011-12 season. The 2020-21 Lady Lions enjoyed their best season under Guzzardo, posting an 11-8 overall record and a 10-5 mark in Southland Conference play - the program's best marks in both overall and in league action since 2008-09. SLU earned a best-ever second-place finish in the Southland standings and earned a berth in the Southland Conference Tournament semifinals.

- The 2021-22 Southeastern squad took a further step forward, finishing 16-11 overall and 10-4 in conference play. SLU picked up their first two wins in Southland Conference Tournament play since the 2001-02 season and advanced to the SLC Tournament championship game for the first time in school history.

- The Hammond, Louisiana native began representing her hometown university after spending four seasons on the staff at Akron. During her time with the Zips, Guzzardo worked with the point guards and coached Kasie Cassell, who led the nation with 7.8 assists per game in 2012-13. Guzzardo also worked with four 1,000-point career scorers during her time in Akron. In her last season with Akron, Guzzardo was a member of head coach Jodi Kest's staff that helped the team to its first-ever MAC Tournament championship and NCAA Tournament appearance. The 2013-14 Zips ranked among the national leaders in scoring offense (13th) and assists (7th), while Hanna Luburgh (22.2 ppg) and Rachel Tecca (22.1 ppg) was the nation's top scoring tandem.

Tracy Sanders, Southern Utah
-  Fifth year as head coach of the Southern Utah University women's basketball team with 78-66 overall record and 51-38 conference record. Southern Utah was 3-27 overall, 2-16 in conference play the year prior to being hired. Their records since then have been 8-23 (4-16), 18-13 (11-9), 11-9 (6-5), 18-12 (14-6), and currently 23-9 (16-2) with an NCAA Tournament berth.

- During her first season at the helm of the program the team won eight games, improving their previous season total by more than double. Their eight total wins and four conference wins were the most the team had had since 2014-15. They picked up huge wins over BYU, the University of San Diego, and Utah Valley during their non-conference schedule and also won their first Big Sky Championship Tournament game since 2013-14 taking down Montana in the first round

- The 2019-20 team saw major improvements and put together one of the best seasons in recent memory. They won 18 total games and 11 conference games, the most since the 2013-14 season when they won a share of the Big Sky title. They also had their second-best all-time scoring season with 2,186 points scored, and set a new record for three-pointers made in a season with 197.They also finished the 2019-20 academic year with a team GPA of 3.742, good enough for No. 5 in the country.

- The 2021-22 season was one of the best in Southern Utah's Division I history. Sanders led SUU to an 18-12 overall record and 14-6 mark in Big Sky play. The 14 conference victories were the second most in SUU program history, as they claimed a second-place finish in the regular season conference standings. The conclusion of the 2021-22 season marked the first time since 1993-96 that Southern Utah compiled three consecutive winning seasons.

Division I Assistant Coach

Justine Raterman, Marquette
- The 2022-23 campaign marks the fourth year at Marquette University for Justine Raterman, who joined head coach Megan Duffy's staff in April of 2019. She serves as recruiting coordinator for the Golden Eagles and excels in post player development

- Before coming to Marquette, Raterman served as an assistant coach for the Miami Redhawks in the 2018-2019 campaign. She was on the sidelines as Miami posted back-to-back 20-win seasons for the first time since the 1980’s, earning two WNIT berths along the way. The Redhawks reached the MAC Tournament semifinals in two consecutive years, while a 44-20 record over the span was the winningest record in the MAC. In her first year as an assistant coach for Miami, Raterman saw a trio of players selected to the All-MAC squad. With the RedHawks, Justine’s responsibilities included guard and post player development, recruiting, scouting, and liaison with academic services.

- Before arriving at Miami, Raterman spent the previous three years as an operations research analyst at Booz Allen Hamilton where she worked at the Air Force Research Laboratory as part of the modeling, simulation and analysis team. She helped create files that formed tools that parse, organize and visualize large data sets so clients were better able to use the data.

Calamity McEntire, Illinois
- Calamity McEntire enters her first season as associate head coach for the Fighting Illini women's basketball program in 2022-23.

- McEntire, who brings more than 16 years of Division I coaching experience, most recently served as an assistant coach at the University of Texas. At Illinois, she will serve her second stint alongside Green after previously working as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator on her staff for four seasons at Dayton

- During the 2021-22 season at Texas, McEntire’s impact was immediately felt as the Longhorns posted a 29-7 record and claimed the Big 12 Tournament Championship en route to an appearance in the NCAA Elite Eight. UT reached as high as No. 6 in the national rankings and the program’s 29 victories marked its most in six seasons, while the team’s championship run was the first for the Longhorns since 2003.

- Prior to her time at Dayton, McEntire spent one season at Hawai’i (2016-17) and four seasons at Arizona (2012-16) where she served as the Wildcats’ recruiting coordinator. There, she helped the Wildcats sign a top-25 class in 2014, the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history at the time.

- She also gained a wealth of knowledge from legendary coach Pat Summit while she worked as a manager at Tennessee from 2001-03.

Glenn Box, Indiana
- Glenn Box begins his seventh season and third as associate head coach with Indiana Women’s Basketball in 2022-23.

- He helped the Hoosiers to a historic season during his first year in 2016-17, advancing to the WNIT quarterfinals and a program-record 23 wins. It marked the first time in school history that IU has posted back-to-back 20-win seasons and the first back-to-back winning seasons since 2007-08 and 2008-09

- Box was instrumental in the Hoosiers success in 2020-21, helping to lead the program to an NCAA Elite Eight appearance for the first time in school history and in the process knocking off top seeded North Carolina State. Indiana went on to finish 21-6 overall for its sixth-consecutive 20-win season and won a program record 16 games in Big Ten play to earn its highest finish in school history with a No. 2 seed. The program also spent every week of the regular season in the Top 25 and finished a program-high No. 12 in the AP poll and No. 10 in the coaches poll.

- The 2021-22 Hoosiers continued its upward trajectory as it finished with an overall record of 24-9 and second-straight NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearance. The Hoosiers advanced to its first Big Ten Tournament championship game in 20 years and earned its highest ever seed in the NCAA Tournament as a No. 3 seed while hosting first and second games in Bloomington. Indiana also spent the entire 2021-22 season ranked in the Top 25 national polls rising as high as No. 4 in the Associated Press and No. 5 in the USA Today/WBCA coaches poll.

- In 2015-16, Box helped SLU set program records for overall wins (26-8), conference wins (13-3), overall winning percentage (.765), conference winning percentage (.813), home wins (24) and road victories (10) as the Billikens won a share of the program’s first ever Atlantic 10 Conference championship.  Saint Louis was the No. 2 seed for the A-10 Championship, its highest seed ever, and SLU reached the semifinals of the conference tournament for the first time in school history.

- Prior to his second stint at Saint Louis, Box coached two years at Akron in 2012-13 and 2013-14. During his tenure, the Zips played in the 2014 NCAA Tournament after winning the Mid-American Conference Tournament championship in 2014.  In 2012-13, Akron won the East Division of the MAC going 14-4 in conference play.

Carla Morrow, Ohio State
- Morrow began her Ohio State coaching career in September of 2019 following a three-year run as an assistant coach for the WNBA’s Chicago Sky. She was promoted to associate head coach in August of 2021.

- The 2019-20 season was a good first season for Morrow and the Buckeyes from a development standpoint. The team welcomed in seven new players to the roster, and while there were ups and downs, the team was playing its best basketball down the stretch. The Buckeyes won six in-a-row in February, 10 out of their final 13 overall and made a run to the Big Ten Tournament Championship game. They were projected as anywhere from a five, six or seven seed in the NCAA Tournament before the COVID-19 outbreak put a halt to the sports world. Overall, they were 21-12 and finished fifth in the Big Ten at 11-7.

- The Buckeyes won a share of the Big Ten regular season championship in 2021-22, finishing the conference schedule with a 14-4 record. Ohio State did not lose to an unranked team during Big Ten play. OSU went on to earn a six-seed in the NCAA Tournament and advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2017. OSU earned three ranked wins during the 2021-22 season, first beating No. 12/11 Maryland at home before taking care of business at No. 21/24 Iowa. The Buckeyes' most convincing ranked win came in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at No. 8/9 LSU by a 79-64 margin.

- Morrow also served as an assistant coach for McGuff for four seasons at Xavier from 2007-11. They captured six A-10 Championships (regular season & tournament) and advanced to four NCAA Tournaments highlighted by an Elite Eight appearance with McGuff in 2010.

Winston Gandy, Duke
- Joined the Duke women’s basketball staff as an assistant coach in July of 2020. He was elevated to associate head coach on July 1, 2022.

- Before arriving in Durham, Gandy spent three years on the Rice University women’s basketball staff, helping guide the Owls to three straight 20-win seasons, including one NCAA Tournament appearance and one Conference USA Championship.

- Part of one of the best stretches in Rice women’s basketball history, Gandy helped the Owls to a 72-22 overall record and a 42-8 mark in Conference USA action over that three-year period. In 2018-19, the Owls won a school single-season record 28 games that featured an appearance in the NCAA Tournament and the school’s first Conference USA Tournament title.

- Prior to his coaching stint at Rice, Gandy spent three years in the NBA - one season as an assistant coach and two years as the coordinator of player development with the Washington Wizards.

Calamity McEntire just for the name alone. 😊

I just wanted to put a list together for potential candidates but didn't feel right to list just names. So I went to bios and copied some highlights and pasted into a document, reviewed them, and then did some process of elimination to reduce the list. 

For those curious about Glenville State's Head Coach (Stephens) and/or Ashland's head coach (Pickens), they play each other tomorrow night on CBS Sports Network:

Women's DII Final Four - 3/22

#1 Ashland vs #5 Glenville State

CBS Sports Network, 9:30pm ET

Edited by mes102
  • Thanks 1

Guthrie might have to make a decision very soon if it's going to be someone like Stephens or Pickens because there will be competition for those two very soon. 

1) West Virginia is looking for a new head coach as their head coach is leaving after one season to go to Minnesota. A lot of West Virginia fans want "one of their own" in Stephens. There are some reports about Marshall, but not sure if she will follow through with that after they didn't follow her wish to wait until Glenville State's season was over (before reporting). 

2) I mentioned originally that Lockwood is the interim head coach at Michigan State. Rumor is Bowling Green's head coach, Robyn Fralick, might be a frontrunner for that head coaching position (from Michigan and has family in Michigan). Toledo's head coach, Tricia Cullop, has been linked to Michigan State as well as rumored to have interviewed for the Pittsburgh opening. Another report came out that Cullop is a frontrunner for the Cincinnati opening. Looking like Fralick and/or Cullop might cause BG/Toledo to be open and Pickens will be a top candidate for those programs. 

Edited by mes102

Ashland press conference after their National Semifinal win over the defending National Champs. 

National Championship game won't be until April 1st. D2 & D3 National Championship games will be played at the D1 Final Four site on the day in between the Final Four (March 31) and the D1 National Championship game (April 2), which I think is really cool. I hope they do it every year from this point on. 

NoteWomen's 2024 D1 Final Four will be in Cleveland

Just now, mes102 said:

Ashland press conference after their National Semifinal win over the defending National Champs. 

National Championship game won't be until April 1st. D2 & D3 National Championship games will be played at the D1 Final Four site on the day in between the Final Four (March 31) and the D1 National Championship game (April 2), which I think is really cool. I hope they do it every year from this point on. 

NoteWomen's 2024 D1 Final Four will be in Cleveland

It is kind of different to wait more than a week to have the finals after the semis. I watched most of the game and wasn't really impressed with the skill level of either team. I turned it off for a while. It is division 2, so I was probably expecting too much after watching the D1 women last weekend. 🤔

Just now, ewbrooman1 said:

It is kind of different to wait more than a week to have the finals after the semis. I watched most of the game and wasn't really impressed with the skill level of either team. I turned it off for a while. It is division 2, so I was probably expecting too much after watching the D1 women last weekend. 🤔

To me, I think that's why a team going 36-0 in a season is impressive when skill level isn't that different from other teams in their division. I do feel like there are different tiers/skill levels in D1 and you don't really see that in D2. 

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1

I'm not even going to pretend to make a guess at who it will be, but if it's a D1 coach I'd imagine it will be someone from a low-major. I'd be stunned if we have the money in the budget to pluck away a proven winner from a fellow mid-major. 

Football has obviously been the top priority at Akron for funding. To get Joe here he had to agree to a pay cut and accept a salary similar to what Arth was making. I'd be stunned to see us spending significantly more than what we were paying Jackson.

• Like 2

"Columbia's Griffith is an east coaster, born and raised in King of Prussia, PA and she played at Columbia and was an assistant at Princeton. I suspect that it might be difficult to pry her from her alma mater unless there's a substantial pay raise involved." 

Very true, Clark. I'm probably putting too much weight on the connection between Columbia's coach and Guthrie.

Edited by mes102

There are some intriguing P5 assistant coaches too. There are some I didn't include here due to my assumption they would go from their P5 assistant job to a P5 HC job. 

This was one of them, but an article was just posted on her so I might as well share it. 

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Im skeptical of the Ivy League coach coming here.  What about the  CSU coach?

Cleveland State? In my opinion, that coach would look at it as a lateral move (or even a step down to some). They made the NCAA tournament and return a lot back. I don't see him leaving for Akron. 

• Like 1