2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

Just now, LoyalZIP said:

This is the way^^^ @zippy-claws

As someone whose full-time job is not running the University of Akron's Division 1 athletic department, I place a lot of value on previous HC experience when my favorite teams are hiring for a few reasons. The biggest one, is they generally know what it is like to be successful and to be unsuccessful as a head coach, and how to respond when they are in the big chair, as opposed to being next to the big chair. They are familiar with actually having the pressure and responsibility that comes with being the CEO of the program, as opposed to being next or third in line. To me, that is something that has a lot of value. I don't know how many there have been or what the numbers are--but I can think of plenty of coaches (even just at Akron alone) who are successful assistants and get their first crack at an HC job, only to fail (sometimes miserably) and then go many years before ever taking a HC job again, if they ever do. 

So, like our Fearless Leader @Captain Kangaroo said, as long as the candidate is vetted properly like we all hope Guthrie has done with all programs, this hire is fine by me. I suppose it is a good thing that we didn't just get a "name" and we've gotten someone who has been around different parts of the country in a few different programs. 

I move that the line directly under @Captain Kangaroo's image should now read "Fearless Leader" rather than "Moderator."   Can I get a second?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For those of you interested or may have missed it, Melissa tweeted a picture of her new baby girl Cameron Jaye Jackson. Unfortunately, she also has tweeted that her father passed away around the 18th. Wide range of emotions going on in the Jackson household I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, RooFan said:

So straight up... for those who don't agree with you this is a great way to end all enthusiasm for participating in your discussion thread.

It would be a rather boring board if everyone just stayed neutral to avoid sparking discussion or risking a difference in opinion.  Nobody here (save a few) is looking for instigators or trolls, but this is a forum for the discussion of all things Zips.  Hopefully RooFan you stay active on the board.  If you feel strongly enough about your point of view, then post and support it.  Don't take your keyboard and go home.  

• Like 4

Did the players like Coach Jackson? Of course, or they most likely wouldn't have been here this past season with the way the transfer portal has been the past couple seasons. As for the timing, it's not like Guthrie let her go with any seasons left on her contract. He just simply said when her contract was up, it wasn't getting renewed. The personal situation with Coach Jackson was of course bad timing, but Guthrie can't let that get in the way if he believes that the program needs a change. 

I had to look at this from a different perspective because I know a ton of high school girls basketball coaches and have been on the sidelines for several years. I like Coach Jackson and hope she lands somewhere as an assistant coach and gets another head coaching opportunity again, but I had to look at this objectively. 

For those saying not renewing Coach Jackson was the wrong move, if a head coach of a men's basketball program would have a record of 55-56 through four seasons (with these conference seeds and tournament results below) and the 5th season went 17-13 overall (#6 seed in conference with a quarterfinal loss by 24 points), would anyone be upset if the AD didn't renew the contract for the men's coach? 

Year 1 - #8 seed and lost to #9 seed in First Round

Year 2 - #8 seed and lost to #9 seed in First Round

Year 3 - Did not qualify for conference tournament, Finished 11th in conference play (only top 8 in tourney)

Year 4 - #3 seed, beat #6 seed in quarterfinals, lost to #2 seed by 39 points in semifinals.

Expectations should be a part of every program, and it's evident here that Guthrie has high expectations for his programs. Even though I do like Coach Jackson the person, I have expected more out of her and the rest of the staff and have been disappointed most seasons, especially in conference play. I had to look at this objectively, and concluded I'm not sure how many programs would be content with those results above. If this was Groce, I'm sure plenty of people would be saying that we needed a change on the men's side after Year 3. 

Edited by mes102
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Mes102, you are correct in my humble opinion.  Frankly, I find sexist the discussion about her being a "great person," the players "liking" her, and "bad timing" because of baby or whatever else.  The implication is that she should be treated differently because she has some likability qualities that aren't necessarily attributes fans want in a men's coach.   She didn't meet expectations as a D1 coach and Akron didn't renew her contract.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Mes102, you are correct in my humble opinion.  Frankly, I find sexist the discussion about her being a "great person," the players "liking" her, and "bad timing" because of baby or whatever else.  The implication is that she should be treated differently because she has some likability qualities that aren't necessarily attributes fans want in a men's coach.   She didn't meet expectations as a D1 coach and Akron didn't renew her contract.

Sexist? They're describing good qualities of a coach that I think most would want. It's a business, but you also want your school to treat people well. I'm not saying they did/didn't - I don't know how everything went down behind the scenes - but if she wasn't treated well/fair, I wouldn't be happy with that as alumni of the school.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:06 PM, LoyalZIP said:

Larry Williams fired Terry Bowden (which was the correct move) and replaced him with Tom Arth (the wrong move). If he had kept Bowden and they had gone 4-8/5-7 for 5 more years, you could argue that Williams would still be here, or even ridden the Groce wave to a better job. Had he hired a great coach after Bowden, he would have ridden that wave to a better AD job. What actually happened, is he was not renewed (fired) and spun it as not being comfortable with the current state of college athletics. In reality, he just showed that he is not capable of being a D1 football AD. He’s now the AD at San Francisco. 

Charles could’ve kept Jackson and gone anywhere between 7-11 and 11-7 in the MAC every year for a decade. The easiest and safest thing would have been to extend her after the 21-22 season and ride out that contract and wash your hands of any nefariousness that he’s being accused of. We’ve now seen a significant turnover in the roster of coaches at Akron, the next step is to see how well they do and what standard they are held to. 

I guess all I'm saying is Guthrie's Akron tenure won't be decided by how well the women's team does. He's not losing his job if this hire doesn't work out. He will need a men's basketball March Madness run or the football team turning things around to get the next job he is gunning for and he knows it.

On 4/1/2023 at 5:15 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

If likability was a determining factor in retaining coaches 87 year old Gerry Faust would still be the head coach of Zips football. 

100% correct. 

My dad taught at Akron for 40+ years and met Faust multiple times.  Coach always made a point of walking over to him to shake his hand and say, "Hello Professor, good to see you".  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 11:25 AM, ewbrooman1 said:

Oesterle out at CMU. I'm surprised it took them this long. Also surprised Hendrix is still holding on at Miami.

Frankly I thought Bob Boldin was in trouble in Athens. He's def on the hot seat going into 23-24.

4 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Frankly I thought Bob Boldin was in trouble in Athens. He's def on the hot seat going into 23-24.

I would think Boldon's built up enough credits to get another year or two. He's been pretty good there for quite a while now. Another 6-23 year may heat it up quickly, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

The new Zips women's basketball coach was named two weeks ago and we're still waiting for the press conference? It took BGSU a few days. 🤔

You'll have to forgive him, his wife just gave birth to their first child. He is a little busy right now. There will be time to make his first public appearance soon enough. I'm sure he is taking care of the important issues impacting WBB. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

You'll have to forgive him, his wife just gave birth to their first child. He is a little busy right now. There will be time to make his first public appearance soon enough. I'm sure he is taking care of the important issues impacting WBB. 

Thanks for the inside info. Kind of ironic. He already has a 4 year old boy named Jackson. More irony. I'm sure he is busy, but the athletic department could have mentioned something by now. 

Edited by ewbrooman1

I'd rather have the new head coach use this time to talk to the remaining players on the roster, work on recruiting HS,JUCO, and Transfer Portal, and getting his staff put together instead of having a press conference right away that can wait. 

• Like 2