MAC Basketball 2022-23

Let'sGoZips94

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The 2022 MAC Player of the Year skipped the entire length of the court to find a camera after making a 3 to get back within a basket early in the second half of the MAC Championship game. Those were his final points, as he went scoreless for the remaining 17 minutes and his team got boat raced by 20 in the end. 6 pts, 9 turnovers were his final numbers. 

He probably wakes up every morning, shines his MAC POY trophy, and smiles at his reflection in it. 

To me, the individual hardware is meaningless if the entire team underachieves. 

Funny, he did the same thing in Athens last Friday. Showed off for the dozens of people watching at home on the other side of the camera then clanked the front end of two 1-and-1's to give us a shot to tie the game at the buzzer...which could not have been executed more horribly.

Kent is a good team but they are not at all invincible. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Kent or Toledo are probably the favorite in my eyes until we play them to see where we stand, but the reality is while Kent has 3 very "good" OOC losses, they didn't beat anyone to warrant any hype. They deserve credit for their start in MAC play too, but that isn't anything not seen before.

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

The o/u are hilarious 

You should see the alternates... @GoZips88

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

Funny, he did the same thing in Athens last Friday. Showed off for the dozens of people watching at home on the other side of the camera then clanked the front end of two 1-and-1's to give us a shot to tie the game at the buzzer...which could not have been executed more horribly.

Kent is a good team but they are not at all invincible. 

This was after his tantrum with the coaching staff and refs, right? I was flipping back and forth in between a couple games and didn't quite catch his "prance". I'm so glad Pinky stole him away from Akron. His 💩 doesn't stink, just like the 💩 name on the front of his jersey. Perfect match.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

20 hours since last post from @LoyalZIP.  Any thoughts on games tomorrow night?  Our friends, well sorta, at Over the Pylon are worshiping Ravenna Tech.  I want Zips in a 1, 2, or 3 seed come March so maybe more losses for BSU would be better.

Been thinking about it, and Kent reminds me a lot of those 16-17 Akron teams, only they play a lot tougher defense. Solid talent top to bottom, and the only thing that could bring them down is their own mental errors. As they’ve dominated the MAC regular season since February of last year, I’ve found myself tuning out their praise more and more. As it grows, I hear and care about it less and less. I’d suggest Zip fans do the same. No matter what happens this year, nothing will ever take away March 12, 2022. 

• Like 1

Christian's teams with Singletary, Ham & Cheese, etc. were trashy and thuggish, but they don't hold a candle to this Pinky squad. Holy smokes are they pompous, arrogant, cocky, classless, and just downright unlikeable. 

Not convinced Pinky isn't the head coach of this 3rd grade team, too. Their Kidz Bop diss track is going to be interesting...

• Like 3

With Ball’s Sparks we can see how KSUcks is going to immediately and aggressively double team Freeman.

We’re going to have to play a deliberate, slow down game against them. Like we did in the MAC tournament last year. We can’t run with them. We can’t afford one-on-one ball early in the shot clock. Pass the ball & make them stay focused on D for the full possession.

15 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Christian's teams with Singletary, Ham & Cheese, etc. were trashy and thuggish, but they don't hold a candle to this Pinky squad. Holy smokes are they pompous, arrogant, cocky, classless, and just downright unlikeable. 

Not convinced Pinky isn't the head coach of this 3rd grade team, too. Their Kidz Bop diss track is going to be interesting...

putting my bias aside, they do come off as arrogant pricks led by Santiago.

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

With Ball’s Sparks we can see how KSUcks is going to immediately and aggressively double team Freeman.

We’re going to have to play a deliberate, slow down game against them. Like we did in the MAC tournament last year. We can’t run with them. We can’t afford one-on-one ball early in the shot clock. Pass the ball & make them stay focused on D for the full possession.

We  are going to have to play our best game of the season with some decent outside shooting in order to compete with them this year.

• Like 1

They certainly re-grouped after the embarrassing loss in the MAC final.   They came into that on a 14 game winning streak, having won 16 out of final 17 games. 

they have now doubled down on defense.  They will force the Zips to shoot tough 3s and look for the transition basket.  Ball State totally got punked at end of the first half.   The announcers called it.   We were giving Ball State a lot of props for beating the Zips.  this was a dismal performance.

As for the Toledo/Buffalo game, the most interesting aspect is that I learned that Coach Whitesell comes from a fascinating family from Iowa Falls.  Two of his brothers were Hollywood actors and a third is a billionaire Hollywood agent formerly married to Jeff Bezos' girlfriend, Lauren Sanchez.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

putting my bias aside, they do come off as arrogant pricks led by Santiago.

Taking a step back a bit ... it seems whenever there is a dominant team in the MAC over the years be it Kent or Buffalo or even the Zips, they are somehow portrayed around the league a classless, and/or thuggish, arrogant and more. Truth be told, it takes a bit of swagger and physicality to dominate and that almost always comes out on the defensive end.

The season is not even half over yet. Certainly not time to crown any team yet. As someone noted above, Kent didn't start rolling until February last year and were very ordinary before that. If this is their year, so be it. The tournament is still the deciding factor in the end. Just ask Toledo ... or look at the Zips.

No need to trash the opposition, no matter who it is. Just play ball. Loyola Marymount looks pretty good today, right!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

Taking a step back a bit ... it seems whenever there is a dominant team in the MAC over the years be it Kent or Buffalo or even the Zips, they are somehow portrayed around the league a classless, and/or thuggish, arrogant and more. Truth be told, it takes a bit of swagger and physicality to dominate and that almost always comes out on the defensive end.

The season is not even half over yet. Certainly not time to crown any team yet. As someone noted above, Kent didn't start rolling until February last year and were very ordinary before that. If this is their year, so be it. The tournament is still the deciding factor in the end. Just ask Toledo ... or look at the Zips.

No need to trash the opposition, no matter who it is. Just play ball. Loyola Marymount looks pretty good today, right!

Whatever.  Please.  This is a sports message board.  That's what we do at times.  Trash the rivals.   And BTW, they have a history of this going back to Singletary's gut punch.  And the antics at the JAR last year.  We all don't like each other.  That's the fun of it.  As for your "play ball" comment, maybe you should have directed that toward the kent players who trashed the Zips on social media.  They should worry about playing ball...not the anonymous denizens of Zipsnation

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1