MAC Basketball 2022-23

Let'sGoZips94

Just now, Z.I.P. said:

Kent was and is the better team. They defeated Toledo with the same force they defeated Akron -- overwhelming numbers of excellent players. They lose 3 or 4 starters next season?  The MAC will be up for grabs again!

Agree.  Looking for Dennis to bolt.  if he leaves, Coach Tod will be back to square one.

15 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Kent was and is the better team. They defeated Toledo with the same force they defeated Akron -- overwhelming numbers of excellent players. They lose 3 or 4 starters next season?  The MAC will be up for grabs again!

They lose Carry, Jacobs and Thomas .... will need to hit the portal hard for guards. All their big guys are back.

Many posters seem to have a differing opinion but I feel, while Kent won the game, they didn't beat us - we beat ourselves. Too many TO's were not the result of defense, but stupidity and bad basketball IQ. On top of that Groce, who I love, got outcouched. Carry put X under great pressure. When Tribble and Clarke had the ball it was a TO waiting to happen whenever they went into the lane. The better team won.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

And we don't have to see him or Payton or Jacobs in the JAR ever again.  Although, Im sure Christian and Pinky have a few ingrates lined up for next season.

If they can find a group as pathetic, classless, and douchey as this current group of Lightning Chickens, props to them. 

• Like 1

Toledo occasionally used the defense against Carry that the Zips used in the championship game last year, but didn't consistently do it.   Toledo panicked in the end and rushed one on one matchups for the last 10 or 12 minutes.

I've been harsh on Senderoff over the years.  I even came up with "Mr. Pinky" and should have copyrighted/trademarked it!  That being said, he had his team ready for the tournament and they answered the call on numerous occasions.  Carry and some of his teammates aren't the most likable kids for their opponents, but what we see as cockiness and showboating is seen as confidence and having fun by their fans.  If Carry's sweetie was a UA undergrad, many Zips fans would have seen him similarly.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Toledo occasionally used the defense against Carry that the Zips used in the championship game last year, but didn't consistently do it.   Toledo panicked in the end and rushed one on one matchups for the last 10 or 12 minutes.

I've been harsh on Senderoff over the years.  I even came up with "Mr. Pinky" and should have copyrighted/trademarked it!  That being said, he had his team ready for the tournament and they answered the call on numerous occasions.  Carry and some of his teammates aren't the most likable kids for their opponents, but what we see as cockiness and showboating is seen as confidence and having fun by their fans.  If Carry's sweetie was a UA undergrad, many Zips fans would have seen him similarly.

I unfortunately agree with everything you say here.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think Jim Christian must be making a difference.  They obviously respect each other's roles and can work together to develop a team.

• Like 1

I said earlier this year the impact Christian has on that bench is fairly substantial. I will continue to call him Pink Fraud until I’m convinced otherwise. But they actually operated like a successful college basketball program this year. They still have a bunch of psychos on the roster, but Christian being there to help babysit guys like Jacobs, Payton, and Thomas was huge. And Carry actually showed up in big games down the stretch. That was a well-deserved title. With that, the only non Akron, Kent, Ohio, and Buffalo titles since 2005 are WMU in 2014 and Miami in 2007. 

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Carry and some of his teammates aren't the most likable kids for their opponents, but what we see as cockiness and showboating is seen as confidence and having fun by their fans.  If Carry's sweetie was a UA undergrad, many Zips fans would have seen him similarly.

Mr. Coach of the Year only preached one side of the ball all season and it bit them in the butt hard with their inability to execute defensively when it mattered in the title game. Shocking. Kowalchoke loves those NIT banners and participation trophies.

Legitimately can say I would not like Carry in an Akron uniform. I'd maybe tolerhate him, but that's about it. Part of what we hail about Groce's Akron squads is the character level and how the young men that wear the Akron Blue & Gold conduct themselves. Akron's pep band wear polos & khakis, while PCCC's pep band wear wrinkled t-shirts. Akron players typically carry themselves well, while PCCC's players are punks that look for the camera constantly. 14 miles separates the two schools, but the contrasting differences are way further apart. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Mr. Coach of the Year only preached one side of the ball all season and it bit them in the butt hard with their inability to execute defensively when it mattered in the title game. Shocking. Kowalchoke loves those NIT banners and participation 

Reading their message board today,  the fans seem to be of with that.

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Kent is a 13-seed heading to Albany to play Indiana on Friday. 

Zips had the joy of playing in Portland on Thursday against a team from the previous year’s final four. Not sure how we got shafted so badly by the committee last year. 

Albany..big whoop.  8 hour drive.  No flights.  I think Kent and Western Michigan both played UCLA in the tournament.

Having the extra day is important and will be for the Hoosiers as well.