2022 NCAA Tournament

4 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Unseeded Creighton (Big East, yay) upset #2 seed Washington 3-1

Unseeded Marshall eliminated #4 seed Virginia (ACC, boo) on PKs

Creighton finished 6th in the big East during the regular season.   The zips are joining a very good league.   Congratulations to the Creighton Blue Jays for a huge upset of number 2 overall seed.

Also, congratulations to Western Michigan.   They have now won 2 matches on the road.  At Louisville and a 1-0 win today at number 9 seed Lipscomb.   Next week, they will travel to Oregon to face 8 seed Oregon State or Portland.

7 hours ago, TennZip said:

Next week, they will travel to Oregon to face 8 seed Oregon State or Portland.

Portland it is. Portland upset #8 seed Oregon State

Upsets in Round 2

#2 Washington 1 - 3 Creighton

#4 Virginia 1 (3)  - 1 (5) Marshall advances on PKs 

#6 Clemson 1  - 2 UCLA

#8 Oregon State 0  - 2 Portland

#9 Lipscomb 0  - 1 Western Michigan

#11 SMU 2  - 3 Vermont

#16 Akron 0  - 3 Pitt

... and Vermont takes down SMU. That makes 2 unseeded into the College Cup. Can we go 3 out of four today? Pulling for Pitt and Cornell quite frankly although I'm smelling a Kentucky/Syracuse final. The Michigan State match ... can't help but wonder after seeing Portland and Vermont work their way through the bracket.

2 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

... and Vermont takes down SMU. That makes 2 unseeded into the College Cup. Can we go 3 out of four today? Pulling for Pitt and Cornell quite frankly although I'm smelling a Kentucky/Syracuse final. The Michigan State match ... can't help but wonder after seeing Portland and Vermont work their way through the bracket.

You referencing Gyuwon Chong's injury?  That was the turning point in the season IMHO. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

How do you figure 2 unseeded into the College Cup?

Vermont took down SMU in the Round of 32. UCLA had to then travel to Vermont where the Catamounts whipped them 3-0. in the Sweet 16. Now Vermont faces #3 Syracuse in the Elite 8...winner advances to the College Cup. 

Portland has to face the winner or #1 Kentucky v unseeded Pitt. Only if Pitt wins will there definitely be an unseeded team from this quadrant into the College Cup.

Unseeded Pitt, down a man due to a red card, scores 2nd goal, defeats #1 Kentucky and will host unseeded Portland. At least 1 unseeded team will get to the College Cup similar to the unseeded Zips in 2018. 

Edited by Zip_ME87

Upsets in Round 3

#1 Kentucky 1 - 2 Unseeded Pitt

#5 Stanford 1 (1) - 1 (3) #12 UNCG advances on PKs

#15 Tulsa  1 - 2  Unseeded Creighton

Elite 8 matchups

Portland at Pittsburgh

Vermont at #3 Syracuse

Creighton at #7 Duke

#13 Indiana at #12 UNCG

#1 Kentucky eliminated in Round 3

#2 Washington, #4 Virginia eliminated in Round 2

Edited by Zip_ME87

Congratulations to former zip Marco Milanese and his UNCG Spartans

in 2018, Marco and the zips beat Stanford in Palo Alto in the NCAA quarters

tonight in 2022, Marco and the Spartans beat #5 seed Stanford on PK's in the round of 16

Marco played all 110 minutes for the Spartans.

Marco was All Southern Conference

Marco and the UNCG Spartans will host #13 seed Indiana next weekend.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2022 at 3:12 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

Unseeded Pitt, down a man due to a red card, scores 2nd goal, defeats #1 Kentucky and will host unseeded Portland. At least 1 unseeded team will get to the College Cup similar to the unseeded Zips in 2018. 

Was cup-winner Maryland seeded?  They started the season terribly. Lost to U. of Seattle and had losing record after a couple weeks.

27 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Was cup-winner Maryland seeded?  They started the season terribly. Lost to U. of Seattle and had losing record after a couple weeks.

If you click on year by year records, Maryland was seeded 11 when they won NCAA in 2018

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_Terrapins_men's_soccer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 5:03 AM, TennZip said:

If you click on year by year records, Maryland was seeded 11 when they won NCAA in 2018

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_Terrapins_men's_soccer_here

I don't see anything unusual about that. I know several examples from European soccer when a team won a trophy and then struggled to earn points the next year. It's some kind of psychological thing, apparently 🙄

Edited by ShawnK

On 11/27/2022 at 4:57 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

How do you figure 2 unseeded into the College Cup?

Vermont took down SMU in the Round of 32. UCLA had to then travel to Vermont where the Catamounts whipped them 3-0. in the Sweet 16. Now Vermont faces #3 Syracuse in the Elite 8...winner advances to the College Cup. 

Portland has to face the winner or #1 Kentucky v unseeded Pitt. Only if Pitt wins will there definitely be an unseeded team from this quadrant into the College Cup.

That calculation happens when you only look at the TOP half of the damn bracket! 🤦‍♂️ My apologies for soiling the thread.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:03 PM, TennZip said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_Terrapins_men's_soccer

I was reminded of this because both Akron AND Maryland traveled to the West Coast early that season and lost. Zips were defeated by both Washington and Seattle 2-0 and 2-1, while the Terps lost @Washington and @Stanford to start the season.  Including games vs Virginia and UCLA, Maryland was 0-2-2 over their first four.  Similarly, Akron won just 2 of its first seven, going 2-3-2 after leaving Seattle.  Goes to show, the start is only as important as the finish to the season, and after losing the B1G title game to Indiana on PKs, they won five NCAA Tournament games and the trophy.  UM was the 11 seed?  I can't find what if at all was Akron's.

On 11/30/2022 at 4:52 AM, GoZips88 said:

That calculation happens when you only look at the TOP half of the damn bracket! 🤦‍♂️ My apologies for soiling the thread.

No apology needed. Your “prognostication” was correct. At least 1 unseeded team will make the College Cup. 

On 11/30/2022 at 8:54 PM, MDZip said:

Zips were unseeded in the 2018 tournament. 

Our run was similar to that of Pitt thus far. Won 1st round game. Defeated #16 seed Syracuse then #1 seed Wake Forest. However, Zips had to travel to Stanford whereas Pitt will host their Elite 8 match. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

Congratulations to Creighton from the Big East

The first team to advance to the college cup

3-2 win over number 7 Duke

Unseeded Creighton has now defeated 2 seed, 15 seed and 7 seed

Creighton finished 6th this year in the big East 

lets go Blue Jays !!!

big East !!!!

• Like 1