2023 MAC Recruiting

Top 5 HS/JUCO Cornerbacks (in my opinion):

OHIO - Byron Pearson HUDL FILM

BUFFALO - Charles McCartherens HUDL FILM

EASTERN MICHIGAN - Jaheim Jenkins HUDL FILM

CENTRAL MICHIGAN - Jamari Allen HUDL FILM

BUFFALO - Jayden Lewis HUDL FILM

Cornerback was the position group I struggled with the most. Some of the players listed as Cornerbacks by the recruiting services look like safeties to me or mostly played in the box in HS, so I did not include them as CB. I was hesitant to list Jayden Lewis here as he mostly played Nickel and on offense, but did play some on the outside as a CB. I decided to include him since he’s an impressive athlete and Buffalo listed him as CB. If there was a 6th and 7th slot I would include our two CBs. I feel similar about the other position groups in where our guys weren’t far off from the top 5 and in the end may prove they deserved to be there. Take it for what’s it’s worth as all I have to judge on is highlight film and have not seen any of these players in person (except DT Sid Kaba who is absolutely as good as his billing).

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Thanks 1

Updated recent Rivals ratings for all the teams. A handful of prospects still need a rating.

As far as Akron is concerned:

Lingard = 3 star and 448 Portal Ranking

Jones = 3 star and 519 Portal Ranking

Rabah = 3 star and 667 Portal Ranking

Hunter = 2 star and 867 Portal Ranking

Tallandier = 2 star and 1003 Portal Ranking

D. Thomas = 2 star and 1004 Portal Ranking

Terence Thomas probably will not receive a portal ranking due to the way the system is setup. He really should be considered a freshman as part of the 2023 class, but since he technically enrolled and was briefly on the team at Purdue he is considered a transfer.

Frank currently does not have a profile to link as he was not considered a D1 prospect out of high school, so he will also not receive a rating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I think I got the Northern Illinois situation straight. Pretty sure they have about a dozen walk-ons. Once the PWOs were removed, it dropped their class to 8th. Here is how Rivals views the HS/JUCO signings. There are still some commitments I’m trying to get rated.

5948C506-F3EA-46DD-97AD-B4EC547E04ED.jpeg

Edited by catdaddyp

23 minutes ago, LZIp said:

So we are tied for the best average recruit rating in the MAC per Rivals.

Yep. Rivals used to go by the average rating, but changed that some years back. 

On a different note, a number of the JUCOs still do not have ratings. Rivals does not place as high of importance on JUCOs. I bring that up because we will likely sign another JUCO or two that may not receive ratings. It will increase our overall team points (and possible ranking) but drop our average. 

I went ahead and added full classes and not just “players to know.” Only 4 high school commits and 10 JUCOs still need ratings for the entire MAC. I’m still pushing for those and think we’ll be able to get all the prep players rated, but the JUCOs are not as likely.

The transfer portal is a different beast and I know all the players in the portal will not receive ratings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

All portal movement is fully updated (out and in). If anyone sees any activity for MAC teams let’s me know.

Looks like Akron and Kent State had the most players transfer out at 17 a piece. Difference is Kent State had far more of their transfers sign elsewhere.

Another recruiting note is Buffalo signed the most JUCOs with 9.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 1:30 PM, catdaddyp said:

I went ahead and added full classes and not just “players to know.” Only 4 high school commits and 10 JUCOs still need ratings for the entire MAC. I’m still pushing for those and think we’ll be able to get all the prep players rated, but the JUCOs are not as likely.

The transfer portal is a different beast and I know all the players in the portal will not receive ratings.

Thanks for staying on top of this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

All portal movement is fully updated (out and in). If anyone sees any activity for MAC teams let’s me know.

Looks like Akron and Kent State had the most players transfer out at 17 a piece. Difference is Kent State had far more of their transfers sign elsewhere.

Another recruiting note is Buffalo signed the most JUCOs with 9.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• catdaddyp changed the title to 2023 MAC Recruiting

Here are the updated HS/JUCO rankings at Rivals. The majority of players that still need ratings at this point are JUCOs. I know we still aren’t done with 2023, but how is everyone feeling now?

Im in the process of going back in the system and updating previous years for comparison, but keeping track of all the current movement has taken up most of my free time.

Forgot to add that these rankings still include some verbal commitments that will not sign with their respective teams. So the rankings may change some in the coming weeks.

27F916DD-93A3-486A-AFC1-40495094439F.jpeg

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2

The second transfer portal window is closed for entries. It seems we came out unscathed after the spring game, which is a pleasant surprise. I figured at least 1 or 2 would enter. 

Final MAC portal departures:

NIU = 27

Akron = 21

EMU = 21

Kent = 20

Buffalo = 16

BGSU = 16

Miami = 15

Ball = 13

CMU = 11

WMU = 11

Toledo = 9

Ohio = 9

Of Note:

- All players were tracked regardless of scholarship status. Meaning some were walk-ons.

- There is always the chance I missed a player here or there.

- NIU had 3 of their 2023 recruits hit the portal by the end of spring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

They enrolled early so they could participate in Spring Ball & have already hit the Transfer Portal?

Seems that way. I know the RB and LB were listed on the spring roster. I think the K was too, but not 100% sure. The RB has already committed to Northern Iowa and played for several JUCOs.

• Thanks 1

Quick update. I’m still working on getting our recent JUCO commitments (and the rest of the MAC) rated. Even if they are all given a 5.2 star, it would catapult this class above Toledo and into 3rd place. It would also place Akron in the top 100.

• Like 3

A few updates:

- All 2023 high school MAC commits now have ratings. 

- A number of JUCOs still need ratings, which is skewing the rankings. Teams with JUCOs that still need a rating:

Akron = 5

Eastern Michigan = 2

Kent State = 2

Northern Illinois = 2

Western Michigan = 2

Ball State = 1

Bowling Green = 1

Ohio = 1

Rivals plans to incorporate the HS/JUCO rankings with the portal rankings at some point during the summer. I’m not sure how that will look with so many unrated portal players, but I strongly feel Akron has the best portal class in the MAC (regardless of ratings) and it’s not that close.

IMG_0552.jpeg

41 minutes ago, LZIp said:

@catdaddypare there any other Lingard-like caliber portal signees for the other schools we should be aware of?

Good question. I’m not sure if there is any one player with the ability to make a bigger difference for their team than Lingard. Especially considering how inept our running game was during portions of last year. 

Each MAC team has landed at least a few good players in portal. I can’t point to any one team and say that’s probably an awful portal class. However, CMU has collected the least amount of portal players.

The teams I’m most interested in are:

Ball State - A new QB and some nice additions at receiver. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them steer in a new direction offensively. They lost Carson Steele at RB and replaced him with Kent State’s Marquez Cooper.

Bowling Green - They’ve added some athleticism and size at the OLB position. Just not sure what to expect from the rest of their defense. Connor Bazelak could be a wild card if he has time to throw the ball. OL is still an issue. BGSU has some solid talent at WR.

Kent State - They are going to be awful, but got off to a hot start initially landing Jalani Williams, Dallas Craddieth, Devin Nicholson, and Mattheus Carroll. The recruiting of late has been unimpressive to say the least.

Miami - Rashad Amos is a good back that never really got an opportunity at South Carolina. He could potentially make a difference for what should be a solid Miami squad.

Western Michigan - What are they going to be? I like what they’ve done in the portal and they had a top heavy HS class. Keshawn King, along with the two freshmen RBs, could make some noise and provide a strong running game.

• Like 2