Zips 2023 spring schedule

Charles Guthrie today had a tweet.....where he had a picture of the soccer team practicing.

Spring semester started on January 9th.   Today is January 24.   If any coaches or the soccer SID is reading this blog, when are the zips going to update the web site to show the 2023 soccer spring roster?

I know that myself and many other zips soccer tans would love to know if the zips added any transfers in January.  I would also love to know if any of the zips fall 2023 recruits started college a semester early.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 1:24 PM, TennZip said:

Charles Guthrie today had a tweet.....where he had a picture of the soccer team practicing.

Spring semester started on January 9th.   Today is January 24.   If any coaches or the soccer SID is reading this blog, when are the zips going to update the web site to show the 2023 soccer spring roster?

I know that myself and many other zips soccer tans would love to know if the zips added any transfers in January.  I would also love to know if any of the zips fall 2023 recruits started college a semester early.

I am none of the above but have some information:

Additions - Carter Cormier, Jackson Hebert, Alejandro Varela and Rui Reis (both Keiser University)

Subtractions - Santiago Frias, Conor Lee, Jak Higginbotham

Graduated - Kingsford, Kauzlaric, Portman, 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, YipaZip said:

Additions - Carter Cormier, Jackson Hebert, Alejandro Varela and Rui Reis (both Keiser University)

Thank you. 

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Any word on how Gyuwon Chong's rehab is going?

I spoke with Jared recently. Chong is conditioning and rehabbing, but will see no playing time or practice this Spring. He will continue on his return program and will be ready for the Fall. He may not get much playing prep in the summer depending on his progress. He took one hell or a cheap shot and it will take time to recover. Wish him all the best. He can be a key part of the Zips return to the final four. We will see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, YipaZip said:

Wow, you have some great info...

I had never heard the name Carter Cormier

listed as 6'5 180...when he graduated high school in 2021

https://sportsrecruits.com/athlete/carter_cormier

On 1/23/2023 at 4:52 PM, TennZip said:

looks like the Zips will play in Pittsburgh against the USL Team on February 18

per the Riverhounds website, the match on Feb 18th is at 4 pm. 

https://www.riverhounds.com/news/2023/01/23/2023-preseason-schedule/

For Zips fans who are also space enthusiasts and plan to travel to Pittsburgh on February 18th...

https://moonshotmuseum.org/

1016 N. Lincoln Ave, Pittsburgh PA 15233

"Plan your visit" shows Saturday hours 11 am - 5 pm

Edited by Zip_ME87

For anyone reading this, my experience is that some of the Spring exhibitions in the past have moved due to inclement spring weather. So, I highly recommend monitoring Zips Men's Soccer social media for updates, but I'm posting the information from the tweet/press release above for ease of reading it here, at the time of posting.

Saturday, Feb. 18 at 4 p.m at Pittsburgh Riverhounds

Sunday, Feb. 26 at 5 p.m. at Robert Morris in Moon Township, Pa

Sunday, March 5 at Hamilton Forge in Hamilton, ON, Canada at 2 p.m 

Saturday, March 11 Rush Canada Club's U20 and U21 squads at UA's FirstEnergy Stadium at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m.

Saturday, April 1 St Bonaventure and John Carroll at UA's FirstEnergy Stadium 5:30 and 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, April 8 Purdue Fort Wayne and Thomas More, respectively at UA's FirstEnergy Stadium at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m

The Zips open their spring slate visiting Pittsburgh, Pa., to battle the Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC on Saturday, Feb. 18 at 4 p.m. The Zips return to Pennsylvania a week later to battle Robert Morris on Sunday, Feb. 26 at 5 p.m. in Moon Township, Pa.

The Zips commence the month of March traveling to Hamilton, Ontario to square off against the Hamilton Forge on Sunday, March 5 in a 2 p.m. tilt.

Akron welcomes the Rush Canada Club's U20 and U21 squads to FirstEnergy Stadium for 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. showdowns on Saturday, March 11.

The Zips kick off the month of April hostingSt. Bonaventure and John Carroll in a doubleheader at FirstEnergy Stadium on Saturday, April 1 at 5:30 and 7:30 p.m., respectively.

Akron concludes its exhibition campaign hosting a doubleheader on Saturday, April 8 at FirstEnergy Stadium versus Purdue Fort Wayne and Thomas More at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., respectively.

All spring exhibition contests at FirstEnergy Stadium are open to the public and free of charge.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Thanks 1

I know that some great zip soccer fans drove to the "Burgh" to support the zips.

I know that these super fans will give us a report.

last Saturday, the Riverhounds mauled Penn State 3-0.

The Riverhounds were one of the 3-4 clubs in the USL last year.  Holding them scoreless is very impressive.

Very competitive match.  And Zips were missing some key players.  It was cold.  Standout for Zips was (no surprise) Joel Sangwa.  Highmark is a beautiful venue.

Shoutout to David Egbo for showing!  (He will never read this.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Very competitive match.  And Zips were missing some key players.  It was cold.  Standout for Zips was (no surprise) Joel Sangwa.  Highmark is a beautiful venue.

Shoutout to David Egbo for showing!  (He will never read this.)

Agreed. Josh Hallenberger had a standout game, as well. Newcomer Alejandro Varela (#8) (nickname Nano, I believe as Will Jackson introduced him to me) started and played well. Very happy to meet Nano and get a look at him in action.

Great seeing David Egbo. Agreed that he likely won't read this, but it would be great to see him again next Sunday at Robert Morris.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

Joey Paulus’ lefty screamer from the D forced me to my feet!  Wow!  Joey should always have the green light to fire.  Without a net around the goal, that ball just may have left campus.  (Not really hyperbole considering the pitch is literally on a hilltop.)

Per Zipsmsoccer Instagram account, the Spring match today (March 5th) at Hamilton Forge is closed to the public. No spectators allowed. 

• 3 weeks later...

AKR 2-0 St. Bonaventure

Very inhospitable weather!  Strong winds gusted from the west throughout! Rain, sleet, and everything in between.  Thankfully, the hail stopped before kickoff.

4-2-3-1 (ref Arsenal)

Jason Shokalook was injured and did not take off his warmups, so Stefan Dobrijevic filled in nicely up top, playing the full 90.  He stroked in a fantastic looping right-footed goal from the left corner of the box to the far top corner.  Great.  But Stefan also missed several other opportunities that, from the sideline, looked like pedestrian finishes.  Dobrijevic arguably should have had a hat-trick.  At least he got in threatening positions.

Later in the first half, Josh Hallenberger scored a goal that (from my vantage point) looked like the exact same goal, from the identical spot, that Dobrijevic scored earlier.  Halle put in a rock-solid shift, box to box.

Though not the most talented on the squad, Joey Paulus is a joy to watch compete.  He plays with a relentless and unquenchable fire.  His linking play is greatly improved, and he is emerging as a team leader.  Joey's left-footed shot is surprisingly powerful.  He is obviously having fun out there.  ZipsNation can hope for a strong Fall season from Paulus.

For reasons undisclosed, Joel Sangwa did not take off his warmups.  Mani Diop filled in and was the best revelation of the match.  Impressive.  Diop really plays a very similar style to Sangwe, calmly handling the ball, confidently tackling, and efficiently distributing.  Diop will push for playing time soon, not to mention 2024.

All in attendance, players, coaches, referees, fans, were bundled up for warmth.  It was tough to identify, even at close range, those not playing.

• Like 1