Game 31- PCCC

The question I have is whether Sammy Hunter will play tonight with the same intensity he played with on Tuesday.  Sammy went to the foul line 7 times on Tuesday. He has only attempted 25 all year!!  That is because he was hustling on offense, hitting the boards, and taking the ball inside.  He was also hitting his 3 ball and playing great D.  I have not been a big fan of Hunter because he tends to stand on the wing, shoot three balls and primarily misses until we are up or down by 20.  Not a recipe for success.  However, on Tuesday I saw a completely different player.  The third scorer we have been looking for all season.  What was the difference Tuesday night, his parents were visiting from the Bahamas and he obviously wanted to impress them.  He certainly impressed me and all other Zips fans.  Unfortunately, on the post game he indicated his parents were leaving the following day.  I hope Groce must have a heart to heart with Sammy to explain that if you have the talent to be successful, you should not waste that talent.  Or in the alternative, the Zips forum needs to take up a collection and fly Sammy's parents up to Cleveland for the tourney. He needs to bring the intensity every game and should be at the foul line at least 4 times a game.  This team needs Sammy Tuesday to show up on Friday. 

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's gonna be a mad house in there tonight. Their student section may even stand for the game, can you believe it?! While I know this game does have stakes in regards to seedings and matchups, it goes a lot deeper than that now. Even more than it has in the past. Sending out their seniors with a home loss to Akron would be so, so sweet. And then getting the chance for a three-sweep next week--even better. These guys responded well to playing in the environment in the JAR, and while more of those folks in the stands will be against them tonight, it's good to know that they are capable of rising above the moment.

There's a nice 1 hour 20 minute cut of the first game available on YouTube. I gave it a watch yesterday throughout the day. A big factor for Akron was shot making early, of course. But they also got Kent's bigs in some foul trouble and kept them from having an impact on either side. That's a well-executed game plan. Their guards are good enough to beat anyone on their own, so eliminating any other threat was crucial. Forcing Jacobs and Carry into jump shooting spurts like the first game would be good too, but more of theirs will fall at home. They always do. 

I'll be making the short drive over. Remember, their ticketing software has taken a crap so it may be a bit of a wait to get into the arena. Plan accordingly. And for God's sakes, BE NICE!!!! Go ZIPS!!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The end of the YSU/Detroit Mercy game was similarly ugly!  As @LoyalZIPwould say count our blessings we don't have the likes of Detrois's Antoine Davis and YSU's Dwayne Cohill on the floor every night.  Davis selfishly threw up off balance shot after off balance shot in the final minutes.  He missed the NCAA records by 4 points.  I'm sure Dad can find a post season tournament for them so he can get his 4 points.

18 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

The end of the YSU/Detroit Mercy game was similarly ugly!  As @LoyalZIPwould say count our blessings we don't have the likes of Detrois's Antoine Davis and YSU's Dwayne Cohill on the floor every night.  Davis selfishly threw up off balance shot after off balance shot in the final minutes.  He missed the NCAA records by 4 points.  I'm sure Dad can find a post season tournament for them so he can get his 4 points.

Gotta love daddy-ball on the D1 level.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

He's played 144 games to Maravich's 83.  It's ridiculous that would even be considered breaking a record. It would be nice if the CBI had the stones not to extend an invitation, but they most likely will prefer the publicity and Detroit Mercy's $27,500.

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I hope Groce must have a heart to heart with Sammy to explain that if you have the talent to be successful, you should not waste that talent. 

I remember a game from years ago where Zeke Marshall stole the ball, dribbled the length of the court and threw down an awesome two-handed dunk.

Dambrot said in the post game presser - "That was the dumbest thing Zeke could have ever done...he showed me that he's got that in him."

Sammy showed Groce that he's got "that" in him. Expectations are now a couple notches higher.

To-date I'd only heard rumors of that Sammy from people watching practices. 😁

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I remember a game from years ago where Zeke Marshall stole the ball, dribbled the length of the court and threw down an awesome two-handed dunk.

Dambrot said in the post game presser - "That was the dumbest thing Zeke could have ever done...he showed me that he's got that in him."

Sammy showed Groce that he's got "that" in him. Expectations are now a couple notches higher.

To-date I'd only heard rumors of that Sammy from people watching practices. 😁

Zeke got a BS tech on that too

• Like 3

Mostly thinking in terms of next year - I think Sammy is a solid piece to our team in that he can obviously be hot from the 3 on any given night. He can also get some buckets down low and hit some jumpers. I don't think he's the type of player who should be expected to take over games regularly as he's not really a creator. He's taken a lot of criticism this season, but I think it was mostly deserved in OOC play and less so in MAC play. He's been more selective and efficient in MAC play based on my observation and stats seem to back that up as he's 20th in conference in FG% and 14th in 3pt%, which is the best on our team (just ahead of X). If you can get 10-12 out of him on average, that's meeting expectations in my mind. He's currently at 8.3ppg in MAC play.

• Like 2

I agree it's asking a lot to expect Sammy to repeat Tuesday night's performance night-in-night-out. But he seemed to play with an entirely different sense of urgency on both sides of the floor.

It almost seemed like a little light went on in the previous game where he threw down that nasty two-handed dunk. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I'll be making the short drive over. Remember, their ticketing software has taken a crap so it may be a bit of a wait to get into the arena. Plan accordingly. And for God's sakes, BE NICE!!!! Go ZIPS!!!!!

I was at the Ohio / Kent game Tuesday. They had students at the gate with laptops looking everyone up by name in what looked to be a spreadsheet. Then they wrote our seat location on a piece of paper that looked like a church raffle ticket.  I went early and got in fine, but the crowd wasn't close to what it will be tonight.  Good luck to everyone going to get in quickly.

Edited by Eagle66
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Considering the Zips are locked in against NIU or Buffalo and no matter what will face a monumental task next week, I have no dread or expectations as they face their rivals on the Kent Car Strip.

However, I truly want to see some Groce March Magic, which we got a preview of Tuesday, 2/28 start now.

9 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

The question I have is whether Sammy Hunter will play tonight with the same intensity he played with on Tuesday.  Sammy went to the foul line 7 times on Tuesday. He has only attempted 25 all year!!  That is because he was hustling on offense, hitting the boards, and taking the ball inside.  He was also hitting his 3 ball and playing great D.  I have not been a big fan of Hunter because he tends to stand on the wing, shoot three balls and primarily misses until we are up or down by 20.  Not a recipe for success.  However, on Tuesday I saw a completely different player.  The third scorer we have been looking for all season.  What was the difference Tuesday night, his parents were visiting from the Bahamas and he obviously wanted to impress them.  He certainly impressed me and all other Zips fans.  Unfortunately, on the post game he indicated his parents were leaving the following day.  I hope Groce must have a heart to heart with Sammy to explain that if you have the talent to be successful, you should not waste that talent.  Or in the alternative, the Zips forum needs to take up a collection and fly Sammy's parents up to Cleveland for the tourney. He needs to bring the intensity every game and should be at the foul line at least 4 times a game.  This team needs Sammy Tuesday to show up on Friday. 

I hate to answer my own question but thus far he is bringing it!!!