2023 Akron Zips Football Tickets

bigjim

On 3/5/2023 at 10:06 PM, bigjim said:

I see we are up to 20+ season tickets for 2023 for the passionate fans on the nation.  Going through the channels on TV tonight, I see an XFL game that has thousands of fans in attendance.  And Akron cannot get local alumni or students to attend the game.  Many of these locals have good jobs due to the education they received at the University of Akron.  And, they cannot attend a football game or buy season tickets.  I think this is really sad.  I understand P5 schools selling out the seats for their home games.  I am so disappointed in Guthrie who I have not seen anything he has done to increase football attendance.  I would put him on a short list to keep his job, unless he can turn this reality around.  

Go Zips!!!

I will give Charles some credit here for bringing in Coach Joe.  And well see if he gets the video board replaced for fall at the Info

On 3/6/2023 at 3:09 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

He's not the first AD that failed to get people to UA football games, though I would agree no one is coming up with new ideas.

I think it also a tough sell for the common fan to buy tickets for an inferior product.  If you're one of us that strongly follows out alma mater's teams, you'll buy.  Otherwise if you are "Joe Akron", you'll go to the local high school game or watch the Buckeyes, at least until you can see a regular winner.

My undergrad was during the Coach I years. It's literally impossible to get any of my friends to the games. Every year my friend group will go to the alumni tailgate for homecoming, but instead of making the short walk from lot 9 to inside the stadium at kickoff, they would rather just go to Euro Gyro to reminisce. 

That's what ~20 years of being a perennial 0-5 win team does to a fan base. You have a whole generation of alumni who are indifferent to Zips football. I can get many of these same friends to go to Zips basketball games or to the MAC tournament in Cleveland. Zips football likely needs to consistently win 8-10 games per year to make people interested. 

• Like 4

As my father used to say, (God rest his soul), I get sick and tired of excuses for not being successful.  Success will be a full stadium for football games.  When I went to the University of Akron in the 80s, I never missed a home football or basketball game.  And, I could not walk to the football stadium.  I had to find a ride or take a bus to the Rubber Bowl.  Attending college sport games is a critical part of the college experience, and I do not accept excuses.  Now, I drive 90 minutes to the games, and the dead-beat students cannot cross the street to attend the games, and they can attend for free.  I love my Zips, but for the last 20+ years the Administration and incompetent people like Guthrie have made me re-think the situation.  I thought about cancelling my season tickets this year, but I just could not cancel.  My alma mater has assisted me in having a financially stable life, and I will continue to support it.'

Go Zips!!!

Akron has never beaten an FBS nonconference opponent at Infocision Stadium.

Akron has not beaten an FBS team in front of fans at Infocision Stadium since October of 2018. By my math, that is an entire 4-year class of Akron students that, even if they went to every minute of every home game, never saw the Zips beat a MAC or FBS team in person. I feel that the number will change for much better this coming season and looking forward, but that doesn’t change the past. You can only polish a turd so much. At this point, the only thing that can be blamed for the dreadful attendance is the futility. I love this program with all my heart and soul and even I leave most Saturdays (or I should say Wednesdays) wondering why I continue to torture myself year after year. Joe Akron hasn’t thought twice about it since the Gardner-Webb debacle. Every time he decides to come back, they lose to Ohio by 40 in a monsoon, then lose to CMU 14-6, then give up 350 rushing yards to App State, then get blown out by Miami on homecoming, then get smacked 26-3 by Kent on homecoming (that crowd really was a college football crowd for once), then lose 45-10 to a bad Buffalo team, then see Clyde Price gift CMU the game heading into Kent the following week. 

• Like 4

Wife and I renewed ours two seats in section 208 for $198. That’s a great value IMO. We would blow that much going to dinner and a movie. Looking forward to more tailgating next season. Recently purchased a Jeep Gladiator. The bed has an enough room for the Traeger pellet smoker, a cooler, and a couple of chairs 👍🏼. We didn’t get to do any tailgating last year because we were still living out of state and didn’t get to attend many games.

• Like 7