Zips MAC Tournament- 2023

30 minutes ago, RooFan said:

I think I just heard almost loose his mind standing up for mid majors. I don’t remember him being so animated. 

It's good stuff. We could do a whole lot worse than Reghi calling our games.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

I thought offensively the Zips looked great.  We had 4 of our 5 starters in double figures and shot close to 50% from the 3 line.  The keys are getting offense from Hankerson and Hunter.  Both of them had solid games with Hankerson having 4 steals and Hunter playing very physical and hitting some big shots.   Also, Johnson and Johnson contributed off the bench.  Tavari had some amazing passes and we had 18 assist tonight.  Our weakness has been our shooting and not getting consistent play from Hankerson and Hunter.  If those two continue to hit baskets I think we will beat Kent tomorrow.  Finally, Freeman should be well rested because he sat out amost 10 minutes of the first half with foul trouble.  Go Zips.

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 1

Bought my tickets and ready to go to Cleveland. We are ready for Portage County Vo Tech. Nothing new for this game. We know our ZeeFence can win the game, even when the shots aren't falling. Groce can outcoach Pinky. The sky-blue guards are very good, but they lack character. Our guys have it in spades and we never quit. They find away to win. Looking forward to seeing Insincere skipping all the way to the locker room with another L. 

• Like 1

Excellent performance tonight, all around. I would say X was still cold, but he got hot and made it look really easy. It looked easy for everyone, as a matter of fact. I'm proud of these guys. They've come a long way this year and I'm really proud of them. Groce has put together yet another team that is just a joy to watch and to follow.

As for tomorrow, in the 4 halves against Kent, Akron has been the better team for 3 of them. Were bad in the OT period last week so you can throw that in too. Watching the teams today, Kent played well and was able to avenge their worst loss. However, they were less than stellar offensively, especially early, missing a ton of shots at the rim and struggling to get the 3 to fall. Defensively, though, they were the best of any team to play at RMF today. Akron must continue to be aggressive against them and draw fouls. Kent plays good D, they also foul a lot. As for Akron, X cannot lay another egg shooting the ball. When he's on, we are nearly impossible to beat. When he's off, we have to rely more on Sammy and Hank, which can be pretty scary. Another big factor last week was the lack of rebounding. The shot making was bad, and the Zips weren't rebounding. Throw in terrible interior defense, and they  dropped a game they should have won.

Tomorrow should be epic. We can't beat them by 20 in Cleveland two years in a row, right? Right? Go Zips!!!

Words you will never here the Brimfield Tech coach utter:

"Obviously I thought we did a lot of good things tonight," Zips coach John Groce told reporters in Cleveland. "I thought it was a reflection of our preparation. These guys are just such a special group. We took two days off after Friday's game [against Kent State] and they came back and you could just look in their eyes and tell their care factor was high."

• Like 1

Let’s do it again! I’m not sure how to feel about this game. Instead of going on and on about matchups and tendencies and blah blah blah, I just want to enjoy this day as much as possible. I can’t wait to watch this Zip team suit up once again. If you’re able, get your hands on some tickets and get up to Cleveland tonight! This team deserves all the support it can get. And let’s show Kent what Akron basketball continues to be all about. Go Zips!

This might be one of the prime time periods in the rivalry. 6 matchups in 2 years, including a MAC Final and now Semi-Final. Both teams are really good and neither is vastly superior or inferior. Bad blood between the players with last year's diss track, Carry's antics, them rushing our student section, etc. 

I don't know how many rivalries in the country have two schools that are largely competitive - at least in a singular sport - year after year, and have the number of rivalry occurrences that we do. 

• Like 3

LFG! The key to winning the tournament is having the majority of our guys show up and meet the expectations of their roles. Obviously this is X and Freeman carrying us, with a handful of others contributing as well. We we're firing on all cylinders last night. If we do it again...onto the finals. No show by X or Freeman or no show by most of the supporting cast, it'll be tough.