Should Zips Play in CBI?

1981 grad

4 hours ago, zippy5 said:

This thing is garbage, and we'd complain that we should do better if we played these teams in the Diamond Head Classic or something in-season

Pure garbage?  Are you telling me that nobody on this board would have any interest in an Akron Dukes matchup?

52 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Pure garbage?  Are you telling me that nobody on this board would have any interest in an Akron Dukes matchup?

Not interested in the least.   Can't everyone just move on?  seriously, I think many on here would like a buy out of Groce and a re-hire of the former guy at twice Groce's salary.

49 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I can't say I wouldn't find it interesting. A match-up between the Dukes and Zips brings an interesting storyline.  I'd probably read whatever articles got published in the ABJ or Pittsburgh Post Gazette, and I would drop into this board to see how the fans are responding to the game. That's really about it.

It isn't about interest to me. It's more about it being compelling or not. I don't feel I would be compelled to watch the game. If it was a game against a known mid major during the regular season like Butler, St. Mary's or St. Louis, etc.  I would feel compelled to watch and probably would watch. As much as I complain about MAC football on Friday nights, I love watching MAC basketball on Friday nights and would love a compelling game against a known mid major during the regular season. In order for the regular season to be compelling, I need the coaches out recruiting the best players possible and not wasting their time preparing for trash tournament games. 

5 hours ago, zippy5 said:

This thing is garbage, and we'd complain that we should do better if we played these teams in the Diamond Head Classic or something in-season

As a tournament ticket-holder I can't disagree.  And BTW, someone tell John Groce we still have one spot left for next December!  😃

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/field-for-2023-diamond-head-classic-nearly-set/

Here is a little perspective and a lesson in high standards.

UNC won 20 games this season and didn't make the NCAA tournament. They were offered a spot in the NIT and turned it down. The NIT is part of American basketball culture and I want it to mean something. At the same time, I respect UNC's reasoning. This is what programs with high standards do.

I applaud the Zips for not participating in the CBI. It establishes a standard for the program and the standard is not playing in a trash tournament at the end of the year. The CBI is worse than Tuesday and Wednesday night MAC football games, which is a massively low standard the MAC has set for football.

Edited by GP1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Not interested in the least.   Can't everyone just move on?  seriously, I think many on here would like a buy out of Groce and a re-hire of the former guy at twice Groce's salary.

Coleman Crawford available?  LOL.

They could play the Dukes at SVSM.  KD has pissed in the Zips' backyard before by bringing the Dukes there!

I'd be interested in a 2 or 4 game series between Akron & Duquesne, not a meaningless end of season exhibition game. The schools are less than 2 hours apart so travel would be cheap, and they are the caliber of a top half MAC school so it would be a decent test to prepare us for MAC play. Similar to what Marshall has provided us over the last 8 years or so.

• Like 3

can't even make the cbi...utterly pathetic

give it up...your football team will be lucky to win 4 games...had two of the worst HC's in the history of football

and your basketball program is 'so respected' can't get an invite to a crap tourney

enjoy

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs down 1

1 hour ago, mivid12 said:

give it up...your football team will be lucky to win 4 games...had two of the worst HC's in the history of football

and your basketball program is 'so respected' can't get an invite to a crap tourney

enjoy

It's not that they didn't get invited. They choose to not participate.

On 3/13/2023 at 9:25 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

In the transfer portal era, I think teams are going to look completely different every year. Tomorrow's team is promised to no one.

Is passing on the CBI an affront to teams of the past that would have killed for the opportunity to compete, but were robbed of it for whatever reason? A little bit.

The CBI is definitely an unsexy tournament. But it is a decent-sized assemblage of like-ability teams, and it would have been fun if the Zips participated and happened to string together a couple wins...even if only against North Alabama and Tarleton.

Moot point now...we now forge on to the Portal Season, and prep for 2023-24.

I, like most of those who favor the Zips playing in the CBI, am extremely disappointed. Granted, the experience is not worth the entry fee, but of more concern to me is that I have already purchased a "WERE #101 - 2023 CBI" shirt which I was going to proudly wear after the Zips won the whole shooting match. That's another $12.95 I'm never getting back.

9 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I, like most of those who favor the Zips playing in the CBI, am extremely disappointed. Granted, the experience is not worth the entry fee, but of more concern to me is that I have already purchased a "WERE #101 - 2023 CBI" shirt which I was going to proudly wear after the Zips won the whole shooting match. That's another $12.95 I'm never getting back.

But if you win you have an argument that you should have been included in the slightly less s****y honorable mention tournament.

11 hours ago, mivid12 said:

enjoy

Your mom is a Kent fan. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/13/2023 at 9:25 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

In the transfer portal era, I think teams are going to look completely different every year. Tomorrow's team is promised to no one.

Is passing on the CBI an affront to teams of the past that would have killed for the opportunity to compete, but were robbed of it for whatever reason? A little bit.

The CBI is definitely an unsexy tournament. But it is a decent-sized assemblage of like-ability teams, and it would have been fun if the Zips participated and happened to string together a couple wins...even if only against North Alabama and Tarleton.

Moot point now...we now forge on to the Portal Season, and prep for 2023-24.

Totally agree, and with the NCAA and NIT seeming to become more and more about just six or seven conferences the tournaments below the NIT are quickly becoming the only option most of the time. I hope these lower tournaments can eventually get to a point where they are close to the NIT but with with a better selection committee 

10 hours ago, GJGood said:

Totally agree, and with the NCAA and NIT seeming to become more and more about just six or seven conferences the tournaments below the NIT are quickly becoming the only option most of the time. I hope these lower tournaments can eventually get to a point where they are close to the NIT but with with a better selection committee 

Well they're a long way off unless you're a "Tarleton" fan or whatever that is

Just now, 1981 grad said:

Glad to see so many people posting on this topic but can anyone tell me whether the players did not want to play, or the coach did not want to play, or the administration did not want to pay to play or were we not invited?

why not all 3?  as i heard, Coach decided a while back not to do this, and now we can see why.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:06 PM, Hilltopper said:

A bunch of my fellow posters have short memories. Other than the NIT, most of the Zips participation in these other tournaments have left us with a bad taste in our mouths.

Included in one of these disappointments, was our first up close and personal look at Todd Kowalczyk.