Should Zips Play in CBI?

1981 grad

6 minutes ago, johnnyzip84 said:

Included in one of these disappointments, was our first up close and personal look at Todd Kowalczyk.

Going into that game multiple players told me the whole team didn't want to play and had checked out. What a depressing way to end the season at home that year. That year Shaka Smart's VCU won the CBI and used that success to help get them to the Final Four the next year. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 12:06 PM, Hilltopper said:

A bunch of my fellow posters have short memories. Other than the NIT, most of the Zips participation in these other tournaments have left us with a bad taste in our mouths.

I honestly only remember the Zips ever playing in a less than NIT Division 1 tournament one time and that was a home loss to Wisconsin-Green Bay. What other appearances are you referring to?

On 3/13/2023 at 8:05 AM, NWAkron said:

Or maybe the coaching staff have more important things to do than travel to Florida to play in the Discount Tire tournament.  But hey, if the god like former coach does it, it must be the right thing to do.

I appreciated when Bobby Hurley said or maybe it was Oats, after losing in the MAC tournament, that his team's goal was to play in the NCAA and if not that the NIT.  Therefore, he wasn't accepting any invite to a lesser tournament.

In the era of the transfer portal any trip to play another winning team is a potential recruiting trip.

2 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I honestly only remember the Zips ever playing in a less than NIT Division 1 tournament one time and that was a home loss to Wisconsin-Green Bay. What other appearances are you referring to?

IPFW comes to mind. Can’t recall if UT-A was NIT or not (think it was).

Just now, LZIp said:

IPFW comes to mind. Can’t recall if UT-A was NIT or not (think it was).

OK, I do remember the Mastadons on the road. Was that CiT?

UT-Arlington was not only NIT but NIT Second Round, the Zips knocked off 2 seed Houston in the First Round and had the Zips beaten the Mavericks then, despite being the 7 seed out of 8, would have actually hosted the tournament quarterfinal against Cal State-Bakersfield since they were the 8 seed and had also pulled off two upsets.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, zippy5 said:

Does that outweigh the other 15 teams?

Doesn’t playing those 15 teams outweigh playing nobody at all? We aren’t trying to boost metrics any more once the confidence tourney comes to an end.

I feel another three or four games could make for more of a springboard into the 2023-24 season.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, Hilltopper said:

Sometimes less is more.

I don’t disagree with that in general but I am not so sure it applies in this specific situation.

It could have been good for recruiting and particularly for future scheduling with 15 other teams in the same venue.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:56 PM, tpsjugglerdude said:

That year Shaka Smart's VCU won the CBI and used that success to help get them to the Final Four the next year. 

Just in case anybody missed it, Shaka's #2 seeded boys took another early exit today losing to #7 seed Michigan State. 😁

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I'm sure the benefits reaped from the recruiting and scheduling was worth that and more.

We don’t know, recruiting probably wasn’t heavily impacted unless they saw someone at another school that would transfer to them ... what we do know is that multi-team same venue postseason tournaments generally bring coaches and athletic directors from different institutions to the same place where discussions could take place about scheduling.

The biggest complaint all mid-majors have and hear about every year Is how they don’t play anyon and the scheduling difficulties .

Well, I would rather play North Alabama, Charlotte, Rice, or Indiana State, maybe even home and home than just a simple one and done in the JAR with Morgan State or Division III Wheeling Jesuit. These tournaments allow discussions to take place that would not likely happen otherwise.

There's only one thing that would look worse than inviting Detroit Mercy to play in some crappy post-season tournament to allow Davis to fraudulently break Maravich's record.  It's him whining like a little bitch that they didn't give him and his lousy sub . 500 team a chance.

https://sports.yahoo.com/antoine-davis-ends-chase-maravichs-211745938.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

There's only one thing that would look worse than inviting Detroit Mercy to play in some crappy post-season tournament to allow Davis to fraudulently break Maravich's record.  It's him whining like a little bitch that they didn't give him and his lousy sub . 500 team a chance.

https://sports.yahoo.com/antoine-davis-ends-chase-maravichs-211745938.html

I rarely disagree with you, Clark, but for these tournaments to specifically and openly deny a team a post-season opportunity so that they can protect Maravich's record is rotten in my book.   I'm no fan of the Davises or sons playing for their dads.  I also thought Davis was quite selfish in his last game against YSU.  That being said, to have Maravich's son writing these tournament directors and asking them to black ball Detroit Mercy is _______ (I can't think of the adjective).  At least that's how I read the article.

Edited by NWAkron

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

I rarely disagree with you, Clark, but for these tournaments to specifically and openly deny a team a post-season opportunity so that they can protect Maravich's record is rotten in my book. 

In my book a sucky 14 win team, from a sucky conference gets no post season play. Ever. From this day forward, until James Naismith XXVI  celebrates his 95th birthday. 

8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I rarely disagree with you, Clark, but for these tournaments to specifically and openly deny a team a post-season opportunity so that they can protect Maravich's record is rotten in my book.   I'm no fan of the Davises or sons playing for their dads.  I also thought Davis was quite selfish in his last game against YSU.  That being said, to have Maravich's son writing these tournament directors and asking them to black ball Detroit Mercy is _______ (I can't think of the adjective).  At least that's how I read the article.

I frequently disagree with myself, so no problem!

I think 14-19 was the primary basis of their rejection.  I haven't looked but I doubt any other team with a 42% win percentage was invited.  Even if not, I actually appreciate the fact that they didn't allow their tournament to be used to facilitate that farce.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I didn't read it as Maravich's son contacting the tournament. He might have, but it didn't specifically say that, it said others had. If Detroit Mercy had been invited it would have been inviting a player not a team and the spectacle that goes around it. I'm glad they had the guts not to do it even though it probably would have brought them a little more money and press coverage. Davis had 5 years to break that record that Maravich set in three. Imagine what the record would have been had freshman been eligible to play back then. 

Edited by MDZip